Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:13 PM   #11

Sony unclear of the concept? Wouldn't be the first time. They must be looking at hybrids and figuring to go into that market with superior quality but missing the point that many people who buy the hybrids often already have better cameras they just like to put a camera in their pocket that if they lose or drop then it's no big deal. And the other part of the market is teenagers first video camera which this camera is also out of range price wise.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:12 AM   #12

I think you're right on, hdguy. Sony has now put out 4 hybrids, two similar to each other but "odd", and one hopelessly incompetent one. Now this, a completely different approach again, at the top end. They seem to be floundering around trying to find a place in the hybrid world. At this rate, and even if this is a good camera, they will consign themselves to being forgotten.

This is a premium product with things like the titanium body jacking up the price. I notice that the fine print says the camera uses part of the memory stick for camera functions. While this is a nice idea for extending the capabilities of the cameras, it seems like a cheapo move when the camera costs so much to begin with. If it uses a lot of memory, then that would cut into the storage capacity significantly. If it doesn't use much memory, why not build the memory into the camera?

A touch screen? How many of us have found you can't read the screens on these things in bright light, no matter what the manufacturers say? How would you operate it with an unreadable touch screen?

What's the sensor resolution? In one place it says it takes 4Mp stills. Elsewhere it refers to the sensor as being 2Mp. What's the frame rate for the HD?

Many of the other enhanced features sound desirable. But you won't see me buying one.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:17 AM   #13

Well, I, for one, will follow the reviews and samples of this very closely. Seems like it could potentially offer HD1000 performance in a HD700 sized package with OIS thrown in (which is more or less what I'm looking for). My biggest concern would be with the small sensor and how that will impact the results, especially in low light.

BTW, Amazon is now listing this with more specifications than I've seen elsewhere:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Definitio...396&sr=8-1
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:16 AM   #14

Such a device and not an attachment for options, , not reading the full review yet. But just by looks hmmmm I 'llstick with the 300.00 xacti LOL

wonder if a lens cap built in would bee standard or an option
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:15 PM   #15

With a 1/5" CMOS I seriously doubt it will match the performance of the Sanyo HD1000. Add to that the price and memory stick format are turn offs.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 1:24 PM   #16

Hmm - it seems the 4mp stills claim is somewhat bogus since it's onlygot a2.3 mp sensor. Many cameras use some kind of interpolation but they usually don't advertise the bigger, interpolated size on the outside of the camera.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:00 PM   #17

Well this Sony cam is like the Rolls-Royce of small HD hybrid cams. The price tag alone shows this. I'm just wondering how much better video and audio quality this cam hascompared to the cheaper cams.Maybe Sony thought tht people whodrives aRolls-Royce needed a small hybrid cam:-)I like the cam very much but would only buy itif it was cheaper. Way cheaper!
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:57 AM   #18

It should at least include a bigger better sensor like the Casio FX1 has, be much better than the Sanyo, and have ambarella codec style quality per Mb.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:58 PM   #19

Trocadile wrote:
Quote:
Hmm - it seems the 4mp stills claim is somewhat bogus since it's onlygot a2.3 mp sensor. Many cameras use some kind of interpolation but they usually don't advertise the bigger, interpolated size on the outside of the camera.
It is rather sad that even now they are still advertising the interpolated value rather than the true sensor size. At best they are bending the truth, at worst they are flat out lying. It's about time they stopped this.

Cheap camcorders do it to sound more impressive than their budgets would otherwise allow. While I will forgive a cheap unit for doing this, in my opinion it's not acceptable on a brand name device, especially one that costs $900!

I noticed in the specs they don't mention 'interpolated anywhere'. They just list the following:
Still Actual
  • 1490K Pixels (16:9), 1990K Pixels (4:3)[/*]
Still Picture Resolution
  • 4 megapixel[/*]
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote