Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:21 PM   #101

Private Idaho,

From what I've seen, AVCHD discs use the same basic disc structure (folder layout) with one difference: AVCHD uses file extension .MTS), while Blu-Ray uses file extension .M2TS. That difference is trivial though and may only be limited to the 2-3 different AVCHD camcorders I've played with.

I would be interested in seeing if an AVCHD discs plays properly on my Playstation 3. I can play the individual M2TS/MTS files but I have to comb through the folders on the disc.

Time to head down to my local bestbuy and get some native AVCHD footage :-) From there I'll create an AVCHD disc on DVD and see those are handled differently.

My big concern though is making sure the discs play in all Blu-Ray players. That in itself is a BIG wish though seeing how DVD was messed up :-)

As for TotalMedia, you don't get a chance to try to burn the Blu-Ray files to discs if you don't have a Blu-Ray writer installed; you can only write it to a folder on your computer. Burning it to a DVD after that yields a discs that will be recognized, but there is no menu and you can only play the individual videos.

-Scott
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 2:54 PM   #102

First off how did you get Total Media (the lite version for $3) to write to a folder? I just tells me it can't find a BluRay burner. Maybe the full version does that. I've posted here before how to take your A-HD footage and burn it to a DVD and play it on BluRay players. I have a Sony BDP-300 player and it looks to me the Sony players are the most flexible as Sony had a vested interest in allowing their camcorder users to be able to play their footage on the player. I even took the A-HD 1080 footage that was posted and muxed it to be played on a DVD on my BD player.

My Sony player does not recognize the M2TS extension though but an MPG extension instead so you rename the extension. The process with the A-HDs (both 720p and 1080i) is to use Yamb to demux the file into into the two streams and tsMuxer to mux it into an MPEG transport stream (M2TS) wrapper. tsMuxer can also create a BluRay disk structure without menus but with chapters. I'm sure the author will eventually include some crude menu too (much like DVDFlick). The AVCHD (m2ts) file can be written to a regular DVD ISO data disk. The Sony player will show "DVD Data Disk" in the LED read out and you have to select "Top Menu" where it will display Movie, Music and Photo files. Select Movie and you can see the files to play. The 300 seems to parse each file and only lists files it can play (it can play regular MPEG-2 files too but not Divx though that might be included in a future firmware since it was for the PS3).

With a BluRay structred disk to burn it on a regular DVD with the UDF 2.5 setting then the player will play it with the menus (if you have them) or chapter points.

I suspect either of the guys making Yamb, tsMuxer or tsRemux will eventually put it all in one program so you don't need two to accomplish the task.

Yamb:
http://yamb.unite-video.com/

tsMuxer:
http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.7.6(b).zip (Windows) there is a Linux command line version too.

BTW, at leat my 300 will play AAC streams so those don't need conversion.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:11 PM   #103

hdguy,

Hmmm.. I've tried mux'ing AVC and MPEG-2 videos with AAC audio into an M2TS file using various muxers and have not had success with Blu-Ray playback on my PS3. From what I've read, AAC is not an 'officially' supported Blu-Ray audio format (only LPCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS). The 300 may support it outside of the specs though. Did you have success with AAC on other players as well?

I'm pretty sure I used UDF 2.5 when writing a Blu-Ray image on DVD. I'll try again though.

-Scott
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:44 PM   #104

"First off how did you get Total Media (the lite version for $3) to write to a folder? I just tells me it can't find a BluRay burner. Maybe the full version does that."

The A-HD+ came with version 2.0.0.58 of TotalMedia Studio MV. On the "Produce" tab, there is a drop-down box that contains the list of drives. I choose the "Hard Drive" entry which then causes a file selection entry to show up for me to choose where to store the BD folders.

-Scott
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:40 PM   #105

OK, I've done some more testing with my A-HD+ and am finding more to like about it.

I made what appears to be a rookie mistake and have been viewing my MP4 clips in Quicktime which has given mixed (mostly bad) results on playback; I'll chalk this one up to only dealing with MPEG2 and Quicktime in the past :-).

I had VLC and tried playing them in there but only audio played (no video)... but mine is a 0.9.0 nightly build and not a release build. The 0.8.x release builds sound like they would work based on other posts.

Finally I tried PowerDVD and... NICE. A lot of the artifacting/shearing/flicker that showed up in Quicktime just wasn't there. Also, I could *clearly* tell the difference between the 720p30 (60 seconds, 29MB) and 720p60 (60 seconds, 44MB). It was just SMOOTH at 60fps. Even if I am not shooting high speed action, I may just always shoot at 720p60 based on the results so far. Only catch with PowerDVD is that it doesn't auto-size the player to the size of the video. It always scales the video to the player from what I can tell and I haven't found any options to tell it to do otherwise. :sad:

1080p30 looks great in PowerDVD as well. Outside there is VERY little sensor noise and the digital zoom isn't TOO bad (though at 1080p it only goes to 2x whereas at 720p and lower it is 4x)

-Scott

Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:40 PM   #106

I'll check my version of Total Media as soon as the 3D render finishes on that machine but I don't recall seeing that option so maybe you have a newer version.

Yes, the Sony player may have more flexibility as the camcorder AVCHD files would be AAC. With some of the tools around here the I can recode the AAC to AC3 and tsMuxer can work with them so that's a way around that limitation. VLC will even recode the AAC audio to AC3 (the A52 setting). However VLC like you found has yet to handle AVC. The QuickTime player handles them fine. On Linux (and you can do this on Windows too) I play them with MPlayer with the -framedrop option otherwise the audio gets off.

Looking at the Divx press release it is on a bunch of players other than Sony and I suspect the next firmware upgrade will include Divx on the 300. I have stack of discs I made for the AVeL Linkplayer2 in Divx that would play better on the 300 since the AVeL has a cheap loader on it and is fussy even about DVD discs. I even tried a replacement loader but I couldn't get the Lite-On that everyone else used for replacement as it had gone out of production.

Try this link for more information on creating files for BluRay:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815296

Old Apr 14, 2008, 5:54 PM   #107

total media extreme MV. ver 2.0.0.46

not new , the same program as the previous .

also again on the icon you have two places to turn on/off the camer settings and the settings itself

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:26 PM   #108

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
From what I've seen, AVCHD discs use the same basic disc structure (folder layout) with one difference: AVCHD uses file extension .MTS), while Blu-Ray uses file extension .M2TS. That difference is trivial though and may only be limited to the 2-3 different AVCHD camcorders I've played with.

I would be interested in seeing if an AVCHD discs plays properly on my Playstation 3. I can play the individual M2TS/MTS files but I have to comb through the folders on the disc.

-Scott
Per AVCHD spec, only removable SD card use .MTS. (It may be related to Windows' 8.3 filename). For internal storage (HDD) or optical disc, .m2ts is used.

I am sure PS3 can play AVCHD structure on SD created by Sony and Panasonic. But I didn't have disc to test.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:03 PM   #109

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
total media extreme MV. ver 2.0.0.46

not new , the same program as the previous .

also again on the icon you have two places to turn on/off the camer settings and the settings itself
Yup, I have the same version but I hadn't actually gone into that section of the software. I'll have to try it out. Big problem with the lite version is it doesn't except MPG files.

Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:32 AM   #110

From what I understand PowerDVD is a consumer video player that fixes up, and even upscales, footage for display. It might be fixing up any glitches in the picture and smoothing it out.

I find VLC the worse, when it works it works well, but seems to have problems with hardware and various formats, and produces massive tearing (also color problems on some hardware) and such artifacts on some formats.

It is worth checking out if the Quick time problem is related to hardware. Other players I use are Windows Media player classic, and Gnome. One of these might be removing glitches from footage as well, I forget, I noticed something when testing recent clips etc.

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
OK, I've done some more testing with my A-HD+ and am finding more to like about it.

I made what appears to be a rookie mistake and have been viewing my MP4 clips in Quicktime which has given mixed (mostly bad) results on playback; I'll chalk this one up to only dealing with MPEG2 and Quicktime in the past :-).

I had VLC and tried playing them in there but only audio played (no video)... but mine is a 0.9.0 nightly build and not a release build. The 0.8.x release builds sound like they would work based on other posts.

Finally I tried PowerDVD and... NICE. A lot of the artifacting/shearing/flicker that showed up in Quicktime just wasn't there. Also, I could *clearly* tell the difference between the 720p30 (60 seconds, 29MB) and 720p60 (60 seconds, 44MB). It was just SMOOTH at 60fps. Even if I am not shooting high speed action, I may just always shoot at 720p60 based on the results so far. Only catch with PowerDVD is that it doesn't auto-size the player to the size of the video. It always scales the video to the player from what I can tell and I haven't found any options to tell it to do otherwise.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote