Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:49 AM   #111

Thank you all for the uploaded samples!!!! (even if on my pc play at 1fpm)

But I can't really decide which is the best : the Action or the Ahd+?.
I prefer the Ahd for price, fixed focus, design, dimensions...
The Action has Macro function, optical zoom, led lights.. but i'm afraid the AF keeps blurring the image and the dimensions seem a bit larger.
I would use it for outdoor, daylight recording (besides AV-IN for helmet cam).

What do you think? The weight and dimensions are very different? Should i be afraid of AF? What are the advantages of AF vs fixed focus?

Thanks
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:08 AM   #112

The A-HD+ has a fixed focus; so all of your shots will be in focus... period.

The samples uploaded so far suggest to me that the Action HD model's auto-focus is perhaps a little sluggish, but if you're very careful and learn its behavior, you should be able to adapt and get clear shots and -- of course -- have the benefit of optical zoom.

So I'd say it depends on your preferences as an individual shooter.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:52 PM   #113

I just bought a new Action HD from walmart...I took a lot of quality testing shots today on a road trip.....so I will make the video and post it, the 1080p stuff will be scaled to 720p, I want to see if the downscale still shows that it is sharper....I might post some of the videos so you can all download the untouched ones from vimeo...also I am going to shoot alot of steadicam stuff tommorrow and edit the difference w/ and w/out one....hopefully I edit all that stuff tonight...if not tommorrow...
pychobj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:08 AM   #114

and also I might as well say some things about the action hd before I post the videos...the zoom noise is still there but not as noticebale as what I have seen in the GO-HD videos I have seen and heard, the audio is good, it clips some with loud noises and distorts some as well...but I was outside and it was crazy windy and picked up most of the convo that was going on behind me....so it's not bad...I don't like the fact that when you go to 1080p that it cuts the sides off..but I can understand why it does this when you put into mind it's shooting at a 4:3 ratio then stretching it to make it 16:9 ratio, hopefully my wide angle lens I'm getting in the mail will make the 1080p bearable and workable....also when walking with the cam at 60fps it works just fine but it creates this kind of ghosting effect like in the beach front scene in Saving Private Ryan, or Gladiator when the action gets real fast...but it's not anoyying just off putting for a bit...w/ my steadycam it won't be as bad....the low light is dark...but still is better then my friends jvc evorio cam. the autofocus is pretty good, in the dark, if you zoom in it gets really bad, but if you stay zoomed out in low light, it doesn't loose focus constantly like in the GO-HD video I have seen, it finds the brightest thing or whatever is in the center and stays focus on that, if it's bright enough. the 1080p looks soft and the colors seem a bit more washed out and the blacks more greyish then 720p that might be becuase of the 4:3 crop...I think they should do a firmware upgrade and stop the crop and do full 1920x1080p, but I imagine the hardware can't do it, I see it struggle w/ the 1080p it has now. anyways, I am very happy w/ this cam, I am going to use it to get into shooting video at weddings possible and when I do enough upgrade to better cams and bigger steadicams..aka "the merlin"
pychobj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:10 AM   #115

I too am curious at how the AHD+ is like with the fixed focus. After testing this camera out for the last few days, I'm a little worried about the AF.

I'm posting some more videos shortly. The low light quality doesn't look very good. Maybe I just have high expectations. When turning on the night shot, FPS just dips down....below 30fps seems like. I do like the Optical zoom. Mic is really good as far as I can tell. My only gripes are the low light performance and AF. There was a sound in one of my videos...I think it may be the AF but I need to test it again. Somebody posted in Fishy's AHD+ review forum that the 60fps looks more compressed. I'm going to do some test between the 30 vs 60 and see if I can tell the difference in quality. I do like the 60fps.
wakkadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:12 AM   #116

Is anyone willing to go to their local Walmart, buy an Action HD and ship it to me overnight? There is not one stocked locally (Reno, NV) and they are sold out on walmart.com :-(

I'll transfer the full cost up front via Paypal (for your protection) as long as you are an established member here (for my protection).

PM me if you are willing. I really want to get my hands on one. :-/

-Scott
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:02 AM   #117

I just got the A-HD+ last night and opened the package today and I noticed that my A-HD is much, much better for lowlight situations than the A-HD+ when on the same settings. Can somebody who has both experiment this and tell me your results? I might have to exchange it.

Sfritzinger,

Have you tried Best Buy? That's where I got mine.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:27 AM   #118

low lightall depends on the lighting. how much ilghtare we talking? everyone has a diferent scope on lighting, if it is daytime and the room is lit by sunlight, to nighttime at miodnight and just a tv is illuminating a room?

I have already made some tests, and one is"

Rolling shutter

Audio

Vid /aud orginal and edited

It may be best to start posting to this post as I have pointed out these issues

Steves got glitchs will post later there is a lighting issue big time

Paulo Teixeira wrote: [/b]

Quote:
I just got the A-HD+ last night and opened the package today and I noticed that my A-HD is much, much better for lowlight situations than the A-HD+ when on the same settings. Can somebody who has both experiment this and tell me your results? I might have to exchange it.

Sfritzinger,

Have you tried Best Buy? That's where I got mine.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:18 AM   #119

I guess it isn't possible to disable AF in Action Hd. Am i right?
Does the blurring effect of the AF appears only when doing macros or zoom(besides something very close to the camera appears) ?
I mean, imagine to be recording a landscape or using it as a helmet cam..do u think it would keeping trying to autofocus something?

sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:47 AM   #120

Paulo,

I'm actually looking for the Action HD (the one with the 3x optical zoom) which is apparently only sold at select Walmarts or at walmart.com (which is currently sold out). It isn't stocked where I live (or at any walmart near where my friends live in other cities :-P)

I picked up an A-HD+ at BestBuy about 4 days ago and wanted to compare the two for different situations.

-Scott
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote