Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:14 AM   #41

Links blocked here at work, will check them out tonight at home. Thanks for the link.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:47 AM   #42

Thanks for posting the samples! I'd suggest vimeo over rapidshare though -- no download limiting there. Vimeo will transcode the file for online viewing, but you can still download the original.

Just downloaded the first two samples, "Leaves" and "Driving".

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2.16GHz with 2GB RAM running Leopard 10.5.2. The videos play in QuickTime Player at about 36fps, though the Movie Information window (Command-I) shows the file being 60fps.

I played the files in VLC and they work in glorious 60fps. To me the image quality was comparable to a Sanyo HD1000 sample I've seen, but that's from a quick viewing of both without much scrutiny.

The files also imported straight into iMovie HD.

Regarding the mic issue -- can't really tell from the ones I've viewed so far whether it's improved. OP, any comments?

After downloading a few more for comparison, I may just pick one up. *Great* quality for 200$. Just last Friday I bought an A-HD, which I'll almost certainly be returning as soon as I can do my own hands-on comparison.

Ha! Before I decided to register so I could post a reply, I brought up the item page on walmart.com. After I submitted the post, I went to submit the order. As I'm going through the checkout screens, I get "Sorry, the item you selected has just gone out of stock." :sad:
spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:54 AM   #43

I'm gonna test the 1080p30 a little more. The video on 1080 seems a lot softer than the 720p ones. Maybe I just need to slow down and give it time to focus. Is this the bad AF that Fishy was talking about? One thing is for certain...It is so much easier to shoot video at 60fps. I wonder what the Action HD+ is like. For those who had a GO-HD and went with an A-HD, why did you guy switch?
wakkadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:26 AM   #44

They're in stock here in my city at my local Wal-Mart!

Based on my quick look at the samples, is it possible that Aiptek has actually scored a coup with decent audio recording and visual improvements across the board... for less than $200?

This could be big... it could signal a major shift in consumer camcorders!

Private Idaho

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
WalMart had them in store? I thought only online.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:30 AM   #45

Could you upload a sample with some more definitive audio recording?

A brief interview or just somebody counting to ten might provide us with some idea of how the audio recording quality might have been improved in these new models.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:38 AM   #46

Hey 3DCC,

VLC is reporting AVC1 codec for video and MP4A for audio. Not sure if that's accurate.

Sounds like you're describing the Action HD+. The Action HD that I have is the replacement for the GO-HD with the 3x optical zoom. The naming is backwards. The Action HD+ model is the non-optical zoom while the Action HD has the Opical zoom. I do think you're right about the coming price increase.

To Fishy and 3DCC,

The GO-HD does have "extras" offered exclusively by Aiptek if purchased through their site. But what you guys don't realize is that's the MSRP. That's the sales price suggested by Aiptek to retailers when selling to us, the consumer. They sell it with the extras because its an incentive to buy directly from them. They sell these units to big box retailers like Wal-Mart at Wholesale Prices, with discounts (defective allowance, etc) on that too probably (if I had my guess...around $130...maybe less). They then turn around and sell it at a discounted MSRP price to us because they want to compete with other retailers. Which is why the price now for the GO-HD is $185 online. So if they can sell the GO-HD to consumers at $249 on their site...throw some extras, that by the way cost them almost nothing, to sweeten the deal. This way, they'll make more money on you, the consumer, than they would selling a single unit to Wal-Mart. This is why the extras are irrelevant. So an initial MSRP of $199 as a replacement for a product who's MSRP is $249.....highly suspect. It's got new features and improvments (just assuming on the improvements)...doesn't add up. Which is why the price on Aiptek's site is now $0.00. It's also weird that Wal-Mart is still listing the item at $199.99. You would think that if someone at Aiptek made an error on pricing that they would communicate that to Wal-Mart immediately so they can fix it.
Maybe I'm wrong and the MSRP really is $199 and they just felt like zeroing out the price because they don't have stock to sell on their site.....time will tell.
wakkadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:50 AM   #47

I see that the Action HD's 720p60 samples are at 6Mbit/s whereas the (700$) Sanyo HD1000 sample file I have is 32Mbit/s.

In QuickTime Player, the codec shows up as:

mbarella AVC encoder~~pasp(clap,1280x720, Millions
AAC, Stereo, 48.000kHz

("Millions" refers to millions of colors.)
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:14 AM   #48

That can't be correct.

The Sanyo VPC-HD1000's maximum bitrate is only 12Mbps!

Check the specifications here:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...pec/index.html

I have the Sony HDR-UX1, an AVCHD camcorder, and the maximum bitrate for my Sony is 12Mbps.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:25 AM   #49

Hmm. Well, just going by what it says. Screenshot here.

On a side note, it's nice to see the optical zoom doesn't move too fast -- based on the Sidewalk sample. Never played with a GO-HD for comparison, but the A-HD's digital zoom sure is a speedy one. Better than nothing, but I haven't bothered to use it.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:34 AM   #50

I just checked the 720/60p bitrate... 6Mbps is what I see in my QuickTime Player.
I just checked the 1080/30p bitrate... almost 8 (7.68) is what I see in my QuickTime Player.

These are relatively low bitrates compared to other standard camcorders on the market.

As I mentioned, the Sanyo VPC-HD1000 outputs 1080i at about 12Mbps.

My Sony HDR-UX1 outputs 1080i at 12Mbps.

So the Aiptek clips exhibit very low bitrates or so it would seem.

Still, I think the clips are quite impressive -- visually -- when one considers they came from a camcorder that cost less than $200.

I get the impression that even the wavy video (rolling shutter) problem has been reduced somewhat.

But I'd love to get some clips that really put the audio recording quality to the test.

Private Idaho