Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:06 PM   #51

I don't think it would be a waste even if my editing software doesn't support true 60 frames per second editing.

Here's my current thinking...

The Aiptek camcorder specifications have historically stated that the Aiptek camcorder frame rates have been guaranteed to be "up to" 30 frames per second.

That suggests we haven't been getting true 30 progressive frames per second performance from some previous Aiptek models (and my Aiptek ISDV2.4 does not seem to attain a true 30 frames per second in every instance; hence the "up to" 30 frames per second would seem to apply).

With these two new Aiptek models, the manual suggests that -- once again -- we can expect "up to" 60 frames per second.

So... we may not really be getting a true 60 progressive frames per second.

However, perhaps we *will* now be getting true 30+ frames per second!

Progress! Perhaps.

Most consumer video editing applications can handle 30 progressive frames per second without any difficulty.

So even if your NLE's output template specifies 30 progressive frames per second, you can now be assured of that as a minimum or so it would seem.

What I wish Aiptek could explain in greater detail is the page 16 specifications in the new Action HD manual.

On that page, the specifications state:

HD 1080p, HD 60f, HD30f, D160f, CIF30f.

What does the "f" mean?

Does that mean "fields?"

Or does that mean "frames?"

Why did they specify "p" for the 1080 output and "f" for the 720 output?

Is that a typo?

Private Idaho

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
is it going to be a waste of $$ if I get a HD+: due to editing software?

So basically we can say we will not be editing or even making a copy to a dvd due to software downgrading to 30 or 29.97 fps?

I do not even know if I want to opt for aHD+ 720x48- @60fps be great. only issue is not enough video selection sizes. I can relate to this b/c it keeps costs down.

so tempted to get one with my free $$$ online of course, so so tempted
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:01 PM   #52

Rapidshare may not have been the best recommendation for posting files since they limit your downloads unless you are a premium member. Not so with MegaUpload.com which is where most of us have been posting files.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:10 PM   #53

Don't know what the 'f' would mean.

@Idaho: Where are you in the country where the Action HD is actually in stock? I tried my area (Detroit), Chicago, New York -- nothing in 100 miles according to the site. I'll have to check the store near me anyway.

@wakkadss: A few questions, if you have a moment:

- Does the zoom have variable speed, like slow/faster/fastest?
- How are the buttons on the buttons on the side of the display? On the A-HD, they're "membrane" buttons that I would've preferred to be actual buttons.
- Is it possible to open the SD card door without lifting the display from the closed position?
- Can you record with the display closed?

After seeing your sample vids, I'm about sold on the camera, which will hopefully not rise in price.
spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:38 PM   #54

can answer these questions when owning older same versions.

spyc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
A-HD + has two speed zoom zooms normal till 3x then speeds up at 4x the same will befor the Aciton Hd at 1-2x slow 3x faster
Quote:
- How are the buttons on the buttons on the side of the display? On the A-HD, they're "membrane" buttons that I would've preferred to be actual buttons.
Quote:
the Buttons on the A-HD+ are selephane air bubbled, while the Action HD will be a hard plastic press button a better one forsure
Quote:
- Is it possible to open the SD card door without lifting the display from the closed position?
Quote:
the Ahd + if you carefully use the tip of your finger, you'll get the door open, with screen closed. On the Action Hd, no it is behind a battery door.

After seeing your sample vids, I'm about sold on the camera, which will hopefully not rise in price.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:38 PM   #55

The Action HD model is on display at the Overland Road Wal-Mart in Boise.

There was a security lock on it, however, so I couldn't test it.

The Wal-Mart clerks who were in the store acted as if they did not know how to unlock the security lock.

Private Idaho

spyc wrote:
Quote:
Don't know what the 'f' would mean.

@Idaho: Where are you in the country where the Action HD is actually in stock? I tried my area (Detroit), Chicago, New York -- nothing in 100 miles according to the site. I'll have to check the store near me anyway.

@wakkadss: A few questions, if you have a moment:

Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:39 PM   #56

Action HD=GO-HD 3x opt

A-hd+ = A-Hd 2-4x dig zoom

If I incorrectly made a comment I do appologise but I am sure that is what I said.

Agree sign up for Vimeo.com

1 you have hdvideo so all can play with flash 9

2 the orginal file will be there to download as well

do not have to double your work

rapid is alright, megaload is better Vimeo is best
Old Apr 10, 2008, 3:16 PM   #57

AVInaptic reports the bitrate of 7.5 mbps. To my knowledge and research the Ambarella chipset does not vary the frame rate, it is all 29.97 fps or 25 for PAL. Perhaps the chipsets in the older Aiptek cameras did. Of course with MPEG-4 you can if you have a still it just store one image to play for up to 300 frames. You can get AVInaptic here:
http://fsinapsi.altervista.org/
Don't worry there is a language option for English.

Apparently RapidShare allows one download per hour as I was just able to get a second file.

I've been running these on Linux so will have to try it with QuickTime on my PCs. The problems with using CoreAVC is that it doesn't get along with QuickTime and you may need QuickTime if you want to edit with some of the editors (most likely including the ArcSoft one). Problems with Quicktime seemed to go away starting last fall with their updates.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2008, 4:03 PM   #58

http://blip.tv/file/816474/

this is a clip of both sanyo and Aiptek, edited down and converted over and over. also rapidshare will allow every hour, that is what it feels like , LOL about ten-15 min more like it

it will show an error good luck

I
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:06 PM   #59

If, as you say, Ambarella's chipsets don't vary the frame rate then why is Aiptek very careful in the manual to state that their camcorders support "up to" 30 frames per second or "up to" 60 frames per second?"

Moreover, why does the frame rate of my Aiptek ISDV2.4 seem to be compromised; you can pan the camcorder to the left and to the right and you will see -- in the viewfinder -- a split-second delay similar to what you would see with a Web cam and its compromised frame rate.

Private Idaho

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
AVInaptic reports the bitrate of 7.5 mbps. To my knowledge and research the Ambarella chipset does not vary the frame rate, it is all 29.97 fps or 25 for PAL. Perhaps the chipsets in the older Aiptek cameras did. Of course with MPEG-4 you can if you have a still it just store one image to play for up to 300 frames. You can get AVInaptic here:
http://fsinapsi.altervista.org/
Don't worry there is a language option for English.

Apparently RapidShare allows one download per hour as I was just able to get a second file.

I've been running these on Linux so will have to try it with QuickTime on my PCs. The problems with using CoreAVC is that it doesn't get along with QuickTime and you may need QuickTime if you want to edit with some of the editors (most likely including the ArcSoft one). Problems with Quicktime seemed to go away starting last fall with their updates.

Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:07 PM   #60

That video is SWEET Fishy! How did you do the time lapse effect and using which software?
wakkadss is offline   Reply With Quote