Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:31 PM   #71

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
If, as you say, Ambarella's chipsets don't vary the frame rate then why is Aiptek very careful in the manual to state that their camcorders support "up to" 30 frames per second or "up to" 60 frames per second?"

Moreover, why does the frame rate of my Aiptek ISDV2.4 seem to be compromised; you can pan the camcorder to the left and to the right and you will see -- in the viewfinder -- a split-second delay similar to what you would see with a Web cam and its compromised frame rate.

Private Idaho

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
AVInaptic reports the bitrate of 7.5 mbps. To my knowledge and research the Ambarella chipset does not vary the frame rate, it is all 29.97 fps or 25 for PAL. Perhaps the chipsets in the older Aiptek cameras did. Of course with MPEG-4 you can if you have a still it just store one image to play for up to 300 frames. You can get AVInaptic here:
http://fsinapsi.altervista.org/
Don't worry there is a language option for English.

Apparently RapidShare allows one download per hour as I was just able to get a second file.

I've been running these on Linux so will have to try it with QuickTime on my PCs. The problems with using CoreAVC is that it doesn't get along with QuickTime and you may need QuickTime if you want to edit with some of the editors (most likely including the ArcSoft one). Problems with Quicktime seemed to go away starting last fall with their updates.

As video resolution, video framearte also has capturing, recording, and playing.

Sensor performs the capturing. So the maimum framerate is decided by sensor. When the lighting condition is bad. ImageDSP usually tunr on nightshot(slow shutter) mode. It can make video twice brightness with half framerate. The ActionHD has this feature. I guess Aiptek may be afriad that some customers complain the capturing is not exactly 60 fps. So "up to" is still kept.

VideoDSP performs the recording. Well, hdguy may be true that Ambarella chip didn't vary the framerate.

SW or device performs the playing. The ActionHD itself definitely play with 60fps. But PC SW may not. It depends on how powerful your PC is.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:44 AM   #72

wakkadss wrote:
Quote:
I just bought it today from Wal-Mart.
Thanks.
Hi guys, I am interested in doing a few interesting things with the camera. I would like to see if I can get a picture quality of at least a prosumer camera out of it and record it. I however need to know a few things to do this.

Testing 720p60

Firstly, when you are filming, or the camera is on in standby in either video or still mode, is there a video feed on the component/HDMI output without icons? Some cameras don't allow a live feed while filming.

Using your HD flat panel's onscreen status display, what resolution and frame rate does it report? Does it look like 720p60fps? On previouse Aiptek HD camera it was reported to output standard definition live video feed while filming.

Is there any delay at all between you waving your hand in front of the camera and it being displayed live on your flat panel TV screen? No delay indicates it maybe a uncompressed video stream.

Waving your hand frantically closely in front of it, rapidly twisting, turning and panning the camera around, does any small blocks, blurry blobs, loss of resolution happen on the live feed to the HD TV screen? Lack of any of these things is good back up proof that it is probably uncompressed (as these things cause picture degradation on extremely compressed footage).

Other questions:

Any mention of which sensor it uses, signal to noise ratio (SNR) range?

Lastly, what is the bit rate it uses at 72060fps.

We should be able to tell many other things through your video samples, thanks for that.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:54 AM   #73

@fishy: That is brilliant. :-)

@wayne: The sample files a few pages back in the thread come up as 6Mbit/sec for the 720p60 vids and about 7.7Mbit/sec for the 1080p30 ones.
spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:08 AM   #74

Yeah, when I checked the email alert it put me on page 2 of the comments, I did not realise there where newer posts. So 6mb/s is the highest quality 720p60 mode?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:11 AM   #75

Fishy great mounting idea. I've tried to hang one of my camcorders by the shoulder strap around the headrest previously, your idea will do much better.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:09 AM   #76

Non sequitur; in other words, I'm not sure if your response answers our original question.

I am not speaking of the ISDV2.4.

I am speaking of the manual that pertains to the Action HD.

If you read the Action HD manual, the Action HD manual informs us that these newest Aiptek camcorders deliver "UP TO" 60 frames per second and "UP TO" 30 frames per second, depending on the mode chosen by the user.

Why does Aiptek give us this "UP TO" disclaimer if, as you say, the framerate does not vary because -- you say -- the Ambarella chips don't do that.

Well, if they don't do that, then why the disclaimer from Aiptek???

I would honestly like to understand the reason.

Private Idaho

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Round one goes to HDGUY

Nice one

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
If, as you say, Ambarella's chipsets don't vary the frame rate then why is Aiptek very careful in the manual to state that their camcorders support "up to" 30 frames per second or "up to" 60 frames per second?"

Moreover, why does the frame rate of my Aiptek ISDV2.4 seem to be compromised; you can pan the camcorder to the left and to the right and you will see -- in the viewfinder -- a split-second delay similar to what you would see with a Web cam and its compromised frame rate.
But is your ISDV2.4 using the Ambarella chipset? I'm not sure that Ambarella made any chipsets for SD cameras at least from what I see on their site. Ambarella also makes chipsets for broadcast HD encoders.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 9:21 AM   #77

Perhaps Rio12375's answer is correct. I hope it is.

He suggests Aiptek is using the "up to" disclaimer to guard against complaints from those who might complain of lower recording frame rates that might be triggered by the low-light shoot modes of the cameras.

That may be true.

I don't know.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:26 AM   #78

Glad I was not the first. if you want to pick on the details, by all means why does the A-Hd plus does not say interpolated. LMAO

be happy,

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:

He suggests Aiptek is using the "up to" disclaimer to guard against complaints from those who might complain of lower recording frame rates that might be triggered by the low-light shoot modes of the cameras.

That may be true.

I don't know.

Private Idaho
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:51 AM   #79

Yes.

6 Mbps for 720/60p.
7.68 Mbps for 1080/30p.

These are low bit rates.

Consequently, one should not expect the same quality that one gets from a Sony/Canon/Panasonic AVCHD camcorder.

On the other hand, the video seems pretty good when you consider the sub-$200 price.

Now that the U.S. economy is on the rocks, consumers will probably not be spending as they did in the past so I suspect these Aiptek models may be more successful than the Sony/Canon/Panasonic models.

Private Idaho

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, when I checked the email alert it put me on page 2 of the comments, I did not realise there where newer posts. So 6mb/s is the highest quality 720p60 mode?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:58 AM   #80

I agree; Aiptek *should* explain when interpolation is used to achieve the highest still image frame sizes.

Private Idaho

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Glad I was not the first. if you want to pick on the details, by all means why does the A-Hd plus does not say interpolated. LMAO

be happy,

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:

That may be true.

I don't know.

Private Idaho