Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:55 PM   #21

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Ahd300 AV-IN captures @ only 640x480!??!?!??!:X I'm really disappointed.....
Aiptek is probably afraid that nobody will buy the A-Hd200 no more....but i m not sure a D1 capture is enough to beat the Ahd300....
AV-in signal is basically 4:3 aspect ratio. If you play 720x480 on PC, it is kind of distortion.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:11 PM   #22

My local Wal-Mart has the new Aiptek in stock!

Unfortunately, it was tethered to a security lock, which made it impossible to turn the camcorder "on" to see if the auto-focus worked decently.

Almost bought it, but decided to wait until I see a couple of reviews here.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:19 PM   #23

I can't wait to see the sample movies. I am most interested in the 60 fps modes.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:35 PM   #24

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
I can't wait to see the sample movies. I am most interested in the 60 fps modes.
yeah, hopefully that 60 fps mode will further reduce the woblle from the rolling shutter. It is one of those things that can never be completely eliminated by higher frame rates (since the equation will go to infinity) , but the faster the rate, the less wobble. I'd be very interested to see that too.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:25 AM   #25

hmmm....well aside from the fact that walmart.com now says 'out of stock', I can't help but wonder if the 'plus' model sold via Aiptek's site wouldn't be a better prospect anyways, as it apparently sports a '4x digital zoom with fixed focus' rather than the other model's '3x optical zoom with auto focus'. I've done a lot of reading here today, and not seen too many positive remarks regarding the auto focus feature....
finallygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:56 AM   #26

ok, I called Aiptek and talked to a sales guy there and he told me that the techs said that the audio is way better than before but still has a minor problem, when there is no ambient sound or anything there is a slight hum, like feedback, so it could be adoptive gain or something...so that has it's pros and cons...and he thinks there is no AF only smart zoom, so there would be no battery lose because of AF, and he said that the lens wouldn't fix the waivy video, I think it just need better Image Stabilization...E.G. higher res, crop a tad more...and better processing...and it only comes w/ the 800 battery, not the 1800, so I am going to buy the 1800 for 30bucks if i get the action hd....he said it would come to wal-mart sometime this month, he didn't know when....I'm hoping next week...so i can buy and test it, then return my A-hd if it's superior in quality. I really want that 720p 60fps...and the zoom would be nice....and hopefully it's a tad more wide angle...if not, I can still get the magnetic wide angle lens..then just not be able to zoom, unless I pop it off....

I put all my test video's of my A-hd on my blog here: http://randombj.blogspot.com/
pychobj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:57 AM   #27

I too am waiting for the first reviews with sample footage. Hopefully they have fixed the sound issues but knowing Aiptek I wouldn't like to bet on it!

Here's to hoping I'm wrong though!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:08 PM   #28

Excellent blog. hoping the newer one be exactly like that person told ya.gonna hold my breath, till the pricing will drop 50.00 on this

do not let the others turn ya away, we need a gunea pig here

pychobj2001 wrote:
Quote:
ok, I called Aiptek and talked to a sales guy there and he told me that the techs said that the audio is way better than before but still has a minor problem, when there is no ambient sound or anything there is a slight hum, like feedback, so it could be adoptive gain or something...so that has it's pros and cons...and he thinks there is no AF only smart zoom, so there would be no battery lose because of AF, and he said that the lens wouldn't fix the waivy video, I think it just need better Image Stabilization...E.G. higher res, crop a tad more...and better processing...and it only comes w/ the 800 battery, not the 1800, so I am going to buy the 1800 for 30bucks if i get the action hd....he said it would come to wal-mart sometime this month, he didn't know when....I'm hoping next week...so i can buy and test it, then return my A-hd if it's superior in quality. I really want that 720p 60fps...and the zoom would be nice....and hopefully it's a tad more wide angle...if not, I can still get the magnetic wide angle lens..then just not be able to zoom, unless I pop it off....

I put all my test video's of my A-hd on my blog here: http://randombj.blogspot.com/
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:24 PM   #29

Hi guys,

This is my 2nd hybrid cam. I previously owned a Sanyo Xactio HD700, but it stopped working after a couple of weeks:sad:So then I got myself the Z500+/Action HD and have had it for about a week's time, and I'm fairly dissapointet with it. I guessed before hand that the 1080p video quality wouldn't be tht good but neither are any of the other recording modes. It compresses the video too much so 1080p or 720p 60f is not worth seeing. The zoom sucks. Audio is surprisingly ok imo compared toolder models. I think, I might have set my hopes too high.

Those of u who got one, what are your impressions of this cam?
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:56 AM   #30

Hi,
"not worth seeing" seems a bit harsh to me. Even though I don't own the cam I have 20 sample vids downloaded in all different modes. In comparison to higher end cameras I'd agree with you, but this new model is unbeatable in its price range.

Here in the UK if you care to look on amazon - the nearest 1080 camcorder is twice the cost of the Aiptek. That's pretty good - for me personally, this cam will suit my needs just fine. Yes, it is far from perfect but when you consider the savings made (around£200+) then it is reasonable to expect this drop in quality.

tinstar
tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote