Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 15, 2008, 1:26 PM   #41

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
The Canon Vixia HF10 is absolutely the best AVCHD high definition prosumer camcorder now available in the sub-$1100 price range.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=16186

But it costs almost $1100 even on the online sale sites.

So it should not be compared to the Aiptek camcorders.

Private Idaho
Well I would rate it as "one" of the best:-)but I agree with u, it's awesome. I'm saving up for a prosumer cam but can't decide between Canon's HF100 and Sony HDR-SR11 even though the HF100 is cheaper.

Comparing Canon and Aiptek is stupid, I know but tht's the only HD camtht was available to me. I would rather havetestedit againstother cheap HD cam from DXG, Digilife, Odys, Easypix etc.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:58 PM   #42

How 'bout a Scarlet? :-)
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...rlet-34906.htm

At $3K (and you can take video out of the box) this could redefine the prosumer market. BTW, the video report sounds like it was shot with an A-HD. :lol:

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:43 AM   #43

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
While I agree that it would be nice to have a higher bitrate to be able to do that, obviously compromises have had to be made to keep the cost down and
The ambarella based pocket CAM that was to be released a few years ago by Samsung was to have around 17mb/s bit rate. What we got instead is disappointing last year, it still sues 12 or 14 mb/s ambarella. The ambarella based Toshiba unit uses closer to 16mb/s or so (I forget). So while it would be excellent for a $100 cam, and does a descent job for z500 $200 cam, I would prefer if they offered the full bit-rate, even if it was $300.
I think one of the reasons that Aiptek keeps the bitrate down is so you can still use the cheapest SD cards. I think the 9Mbps that the Sanyo Xacti's use it right near the limit of a basic SD card.

Also a lot of devices have specific price points ie while raising the features and price may still get you to buy it, they would lose a bunch of other potential buyers who could only afford $200. Of course they can make more than one model but maintaining too many models has a cost associated with it too. Remember Aiptek are still a low end consumer camcorder company.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:17 AM   #44

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
The ambarella based pocket CAM that was to be released a few years ago by Samsung was to have around 17mb/s bit rate. What we got instead is disappointing last year, it still sues 12 or 14 mb/s ambarella. The ambarella based Toshiba unit uses closer to 16mb/s or so (I forget). So while it would be excellent for a $100 cam, and does a descent job for z500 $200 cam, I would prefer if they offered the full bit-rate, even if it was $300.
So if the chip is capable of higher bitrates as u state, couldn't Aiptek increase the bitrate on current cams(z500+,ahd300) via a firmware update? I'm not saying as high as on AVCHD cams from Sony, Canon etc., but around Sanyo's range or little bit higher bitrates:-)

Couldn't they atleast make a quality setting available in the HD recording modes like XP andSP, if they wanted to?:?

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:47 AM   #45

They have a number of chips, with different sizes of risc processor arrays, power consumption and price points. The most expensive chips were said to be $1000 a few years ago. The power consumption, precessing power and price points are quiet remarkable. The ambarella might be one of the best in terms of price to performance ratios.

So, changing to another bit rate through a firmware update might not work. Going on what happens in the industry, not on any knowledge of what Ambarella or Aiptek do. In the industry, even if the chip has the extra power there could even be hardware mods or agreements limiting the bit rate. H264 consists of a number of licenses. It is possible generally in licensing that a license fee is also done of the mount of bit rate, with any change requiring to be pre-negotiated and charged accordingly.

I think SD cards bus maxes out at 20Mbyte/s, I think that compact flash is at least 16MB/s or more. I forget the speed of the flash standards, but thought cards were commonly more than 9mb/s. I think that the previouse hybrid cameras limited data rate on processing requirements (such as Mpeg4 Sanyo HD camera).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:46 AM   #46

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
They have a number of chips, with different sizes of risc processor arrays, power consumption and price points. The most expensive chips were said to be $1000 a few years ago. The power consumption, precessing power and price points are quiet remarkable. The ambarella might be one of the best in terms of price to performance ratios.

So, changing to another bit rate through a firmware update might not work. Going on what happens in the industry, not on any knowledge of what Ambarella or Aiptek do. In the industry, even if the chip has the extra power there could even be hardware mods or agreements limiting the bit rate. H264 consists of a number of licenses. It is possible generally in licensing that a license fee is also done of the mount of bit rate, with any change requiring to be pre-negotiated and charged accordingly.

I think SD cards bus maxes out at 20Mbyte/s, I think that compact flash is at least 16MB/s or more. I forget the speed of the flash standards, but thought cards were commonly more than 9mb/s. I think that the previouse hybrid cameras limited data rate on processing requirements (such as Mpeg4 Sanyo HD camera).
Yes I know that SD cards in general max out at far more than 9Mbps but I am on about the cards with no speed rating which do. Of course now the difference in price between high speed cards and basic ones is minimal. When these devices were first being designed though, the difference in price would be significant to the budget of the consumer likely to buy these devices.

Also just because a chipset is capable of more than the firmware is using it for, doesn't mean they will update the firmware to do so. This may be done deliberately to give incentive to upgrade. This has often been the case with PDA's and MP3 players where they were found to contain features that allowed better video etc. if only the firmware was upgraded and of course it never is. They would rather you buy a later model when it comes out.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:46 AM   #47

Does anyone know of a good free viewer that will support the 60fps 720p vids and allow for frame by frame analysis? Quicktime is the only one I've found so far that allows for slow search, but it seems to only work at 30fps....
dartmouth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 3:27 PM   #48

dartmouth01,

Check just above the samples in the "Review: Aiptek Action HD" review. I provide links to the Haali Media Splitter / ffdshow installers which will let you view the videos full-speed in Windows Media Player which also means that any viewer that supports DirectShow filters (most nowadays) can be used to view them. You may need to change the file extension from .MOV to .MP4 though. After that, VLC (videolan.org) can play them.

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote