Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1

Hi there,

Today I began what I knew was going to be a lengthy process of researching these so-called 'hybrid' digital cameras. I've been interested in buying a camera that would take really sharp still photos, AND I've been interested in a webcam....so I thought I should look into these multi-functional devices and see what I come up with...

So far, a lot of the models I've found info on SAY they work as a webcam, but when I read further, I find tons of people stressing that their device either actually does NOT work properly as a webcam, or it essentially needs to be 'tricked' into being a webcam.

So....since the webcam feature is probably the most important to me, could someone recommend a model that's known to work very easily/reliably as a webcam?

Thanks!

finallygreen
finallygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:34 PM   #2

I have the Aiptek ISDV2.4 and I've tested the Web cam functionality on my Windows XP notebook and it works fine.

Doesn't work on my Mac, however.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:28 PM   #3

The IS-DV2 works as a webcam, and it is decent as long as you have enough light. One problem that people overlook when comparing webcam features is tripod mounts. Many of your cheap $20 and $30 digital cameras actually work really well as a webcam, but the typically don't have tripod mounts. So that makes it tough to use as a webcam because there is no way to prop it up to look at you while you are chatting online or whatever you are doing.

The Sanyo CG6 I have has a webcam feature but it is crippled to 320x240 at 15 fps, and worst of all, it is impossible to attach the camera to a USB cable and a tripod at the same time because they are so close together. So again, the webcam mode is advertised, but is pretty useless because you can't mount the camera to anything while using the webcam mode.

Of all the cheap cameras I've used (and I've used a lot) the best ones for using as a webcam have been the Aiptek IS-DV2 and the Vivitar Vivcam55 (costs about $19.99) Both will deliver 640x480 resolution over USB. However, the Vivitar doesn't take that great of still photos (640x480 is the max res even on stills) so the Aiptek might be the better choice.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies! After a lot of research today, I'm leaning towards just buying a seperate webcam so that I can focus on getting one of the hybrids that are shooting in HD now. I actually DID find a hybrid on eBay that is said to be BOTH HD and webcam-compatible, but the listing was one of those cold, 'formulaic' listings that really didn't make me feel as though I was gonna be able to successfully return the item if i got it and it didn't actually do webcam, so I'm passing on that one...
finallygreen is offline   Reply With Quote