Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Ive been looking to replace my 5.0 MPEasyShare with something nicer. I wanted something that was in the 7-9mp range and could do zooming while recording movies. But Im wondering if I should be looking for a digital camera or a compact camcorder that can still take pics. I will be using the camera for taking all kinds of photos but for doing videos I wanted to get unlimited length or until the memory runs out and I would need to film in the dark at sporting events and such. Mainly, stock car races. And sometimes it can be dusty with poor lighting so I dont know how that should influence the decision. Im stuck on whether to get a camera or camcorder now. I had a budget of $300 so I dont know what that could get me. I would guess the camcorders are a bit more.

I was looking intoCanon's SX100 but I dont think you can zoom while recording bit its a good bargain for everything else. The only thing Ive found thats in my price range and has a higher 8-9mp size was a casio EX-S880. Its more of a cheaper P&S style camera but at least it lets you record for long periods and zoom while recording. I do want something smaller so if Im getting a camcorder it needs to be compact. Anyone have recommendations? Otherwise I may be forced to buy a Casio lol. Im very leary about buyingnovelty stylish cameras because usually they are more cute than functional. Thanks in advance!

~Dan
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2008, 1:28 PM   #2

If you're going with a Casio Exilim, try looking into the EX-V8. It's got a 7X optical zoom. You can use it while recording, and it operates nearly silently. The Exilim also does stereo recording @ 44kHz. The mics aren't separated more than a centimeter or so, but it's a step above mono.

The V8 also records in H.264, which should get you more recording time versus Canon's Motion JPEG videos. Overall, I found the V8 to be a good compromise between size and features. Not too many digicams out there that allow zoom while recording and stereo audio. The cam also has image stabilization. dcresource has an extensive review on it.

I liked the camera almost enough to buy it, but I eventually went with a DSLR.

Some possible negatives:

- There's at least one comparison done online (might be here on steve's) where someone shows the V8's H.264 as being more blurred when recording fast forward motion versus the codec used in older Exilims. The test was of a first-person view of a bike ride.

- Low-light performance seems decent, but there's a test video out there showing a somewhat grainy image in low living room lighting.

- Lens is something a touch above 35mm (equivalent). One of the newer Exilims out this year has a 28mm lens but not stereo audio. The design of the lens cover mechanism is such that you wouldn't be able to slap, say, a magnetic wide angle lens onto it, unlike the EX-S880 or similarly structured cams.

Alternatives:

- Canon S5 IS (640x480 @ 30fps, 44kHz stereo, 38mm lens, 12x zoom)
- Samsung NV24 (720p @ 30fps, 44kHz stereo, 28mm lens, 10x zoom, not out yet)
- Kodak V1253 (720p @ 30fps, 16kHz stereo, 38mm lens, 3x zoom)
spyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 2:40 PM   #3

casio V7 is not unlimited on the USA version. night life does fine but very grainy

H264 here is a vid clip. not night life , low light if asked me http://rapidshare.com/files/106719272/CIMG2000.MOV.html

it is a compact camera, andsweet. the Kodak 1275 I believe sold at 99.99 refurbished on Woot.

I am a owner of this camera as well. casio ex-V7
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:28 PM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
casio V7 is not unlimited on the USA version. night life does fine but very grainy
I thought it was only the European ones that were limited to 10 minutes?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 4:58 PM   #5

I can only vouch for the one i got.

someone told me USA 10 min hmmm
Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:23 PM   #6

spyc schrieb:
Quote:
- Samsung NV24 (720p @ 30fps, 44kHz stereo, 28mm lens :?, 10x zoom :?, not out yet)

? ? ? Samsung NV24 HD

•10.1 Megapixel CCD (1/2.3")

• max.3648x2736(4:3) Pixel

3.6x optischer Zoom (24-86.4mm)

• 3.6x digitaler Zoom

http://www.samsung-cameras.de/index.php?id=1741

....aaaaand 2.5" AMOLED display !

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:56 AM   #7

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I can only vouch for the one i got.

someone told me USA 10 min hmmm
But does it say it in the manual and have you tried to shoot longer than 10 minutes?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:22 AM   #8

I own the japanese and stated unlimited I cannot shoot more than 70 minutes, battery will die:G

love it the night scen is superb, the grain is in the video as noise but hey beggers cannot be chosy
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:23 PM   #9

I read a lot of reviews, read a lot of complaints and it seems the Canons have less negatives and a whole lot more advantages for this price range.

I looked over the Nikon P60 and the casio S880 but the lack of a view finder annoys me because I hate eating 4 batteries in the span of 2 hours and those LCD's really seem to do the trick. Canon claims they have minimized the amount of motor use so they use less battery. The Nikon is so new that I couldnt even find reviews or video samples, plus it cost $40 moreand didn't come with the 2GB card.So I bought the Canon A720 IS for $190 and it came with a nice case and 2gb card. Its small enough to fit in a pocket and I figure the 6x zoom is worth the trade off for not being able to zoom while recording. I just cant bring myself to buy a casio camera heh. By no means am I an expert and I have a lot to learn but I hope it serves me well for at least the basic videos. Thanks for the replies and advice but I just trust Canon way more than the other new models.
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote