Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:28 PM   #1

Hi,

First post for me, but this forum looks like a great place to learn about the Aiptek camcorders.

Yesterday I bought an A-HD, and after charging it for the recommended 8 hours I got plenty of use out of it last night and today. My initial impressions of the A-HD are quite positive. I even flashed the 2.002 firmware on it today (after realizing it was at 1.6 and noticing the audio issues) and continued shooting. My biggest complaint on the camera is how sensitive it is to camera movement.

Searching on the internet and finding this forum, I noticed that the A-HD+ has been released, and it offers 720p at 60FPS......and it's available at my local Best Buy! I thought that maybe 60FPS would help the "jitter" problem. So I bought it tonight and started using it with the other camera's battery. I will return one of these. However, after using it a bit, I'm still not sure which one I'll return.

Observations:
1. 720p at 60FPS does not play well on my Media Center computer. I think it's underpowered for this resolution. That's a shame.
2. 720p at 60FPS also seems quite compressed with lots of artifacts (when I watch on my other more powerful computer). However, I think the lighting is a bit lower on these tests, so it may not be a fair test. I will try again tomorrow.
3. Audio on the A-HD+ seems better than the A-HD even with 2.002
4. 720p at 30FPS seems a bit "smoother" compared to the same setting on my A-HD. Is this possible, or is it more likely that the lighting is just different?

So for me to determine which of these to keep, I think I've narrowed it down to one question: Can anyone determine whether 720p at 30FPS is identical between these two cameras? I'm worried that the A-HD+ applies more compression even in the 30FPS mode, which might be unacceptable to me. But it also seems smoother, which would be a welcome change. However I'm just not sure. I'm planning to do some real side-by-side tests tomorrow, but I'm curious to see what others have determined. Does anyone understand what the processing and compression differences are between these two cameras?

Also, I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I noticed that the A-HD+ comes with a slightly more powerful battery (1200mAh versus 1000 mAh). Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

aperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:13 PM   #2

Welcome aboard Aperry.

I own a few of the A-Hd's, not yet the Plus version, not just yet.

Owning my A-Hd and having an Av input of 720x480, a correct sound, and firmware fix, direct from Aiptek , themselves, is enough to be happy with.

So 60 fps, 1200 battery, 720 res and 640 res for Av input. is a decision , one must make, ifthey arethe only extras, or differences of the A-Hd

Batteries can always be added on, especially the double capacity one, with a modded cover, why go through the hassel when you toss a spare and get 90 minutes run time LOL.

good luck in your tests, whichever one you keep you may be happy with again good luc your decision.

finally my local is showing online 15.00 savings over Aiptek LOL less the two free items
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2008, 7:49 PM   #3

Hi Fishy,

Thanks for the response. It does appear that I'll be happy with either one. I'd like to keep the plus version, but I'm just trying to ensure that the 30FPS mode is comparable to that of the standard A-HD. For some reason I'm worried that they've gotten a little too aggressive wth the compression in this newer camera.

I'll report back with any test results that I come up with tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Aaron

aperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4

Perhaps you should try both models side by side shooting a scene and then analyse the files with an appropriate program to see if the bitrates are similar. Of course this doesn't rule out that the actual algorithmn may be tweaked differently.

The one thing that concerns me with hearing this, is that they didn't do the same thing they did when they created an 'improved' model of the MPVR ie the PVR. They teaked the video on that and it was oversharpened too much resulting in terrible moire patterns on certain subjects. I ended up sending it back to Aiptek to exchange for the MPVR with its softer and more pleasing video.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:46 PM   #5

RGV.....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i have made my review, and made a couple of vids. I had the time, but left the peice of metal at work, that was going to get meside by side shots, rather waste my personal time, I will do this at a time I am absolutely bored.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I do not know how to say this, and notwant to jump to a conclusion

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"you hit the nail on the head!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"but lets see if it is like the MPVr and PVr they may have not tweaked the sharpness, lets see.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote