Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1

Hi! I haven't posted here in a LONG time! I bought a new computer and just lost all my forums and such!

So, I took my family on the first vacation in 14 years last month! We packed up and flew from Alaska to California where we spent the next week at Disneyland & several other great places!

The bummer of it all was... my hubby LEFT my sony HDD handycam on a RIDE! Course- we went back for it and it was GONE.

So I am hunting for a new handycam! I've been looking at this one:

Sony DCR-SR220 4MP 60GB Hard Drive Handycam Camcorder with 15x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR220...412&sr=1-1

($649.00)

Can anyone share with me? Any thoughts or experience with this little jewel?

The one that is now in the hands of ??? (with my first day of vacation pics on it!!) was this one:

Sony DCR-SR45 30GB Hard Drive Handycam Camcorder with 40x Optical Zoom

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-SR45-...531&sr=1-5

($429.00)

I'm just not sure if I should just stick with the first one or move up- since I have the oppotunity to CHOOSE this time (the 1st one was a gift & only used 3 times!)

Thanks so much!!

zeeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:45 AM   #2

forget zooms > 10x! (think, why good camcorders have10x optical zoom!)

quality of lens goes down und you need a tripod for zooming above 5x.

15x or 40x are horrible :-(

I hate camcorders with HDD or DVD-RAM, prefering cams with DV-tapes or with SDHC-cards (or :-( memorysticks)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 6:44 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply!

Why do you not like the HDD handycams? I have been really checking out ALL kinds but thought it would be handier to have the 60 GB on board at all times?

Why do you like the DV cards or tapes better than HDD?

So, what you are saying is not to waste money on a better zoom option?
I don't think I need a great deal of zoom- I'm primarily using this for kids birthday parties, school concerts, wrestling matches etc. Just looking for good clear video picture/sound.

Oh! the one thing I DID like on the Sony DCR SR220 was that you can take still pics at 4MP, That is better than a lot I've seen on the net. Any thoughts on that?

How about the ones that record right onto a small DVD? I've never had any experience with any other than the short time I had the Sony- and the old VHS & 8mm tapes.

I will say- the few short times I used the Sony (before it was lost at Disney last month!) when I transfered to DVD any amount of movement seemed pixely. I wasn't real happy with the picture but thought O maybe just needed to learn more about it.

I am hoping to get one of these ordered, (and here) by 4/26 as it's my daughters birthday & I don't want to miss filming it!

Thanks for any and all input on this!

Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:34 PM   #4

I have a high definition Sony AVCHD HDR-UX1.

It records to 8cm (mini) DVDs.

You can fit about a half-hour of high definition video at the highest quality setting on one double-layer DVD+R disc.

So you have to have plenty of extra discs on hand and you have to change them out every half-hour.

That's the big disadvantage.

On the other hand, the HDR-UX1 was Sony's first AVCHD camcorder along with the AVCHD hard disk model, which I seem to recall was the HDR-SR1 and both of these first generation AVCHD models came with all of the bells and whistles... full manual control, headphone jacks, external microphone inputs... accessory shoes... etc.

I love it.

The video quality is just a hair less than a good HDV tape-based camcorder, but still very impressive.

Contrary to what you often hear, most newer video editing software can capture and edit the video recorded to these mini DVD discs... and it's really quite easy if you know how to do it. The video/audio recordings are file-based -- about as easy to grab/edit as the files recorded to hard disk or memory card camcorders.

I wanted to get away from tape so I'm really glad I bought the HDR-UX1, which I found on sale for about $599 -- an absolute steal for a camcorder that comes with so many prosumer features.

The only other disadvantage of this model is the size; most of the Sony models are like bricks... pretty big compared to the hybrids discussed here.

Sony's image quality is generally pretty good across the line.

I'd rank the latest generation consumer camcorder firms in this order:

1. Canon (currently the best imagers)
2. Sony
3. Panasonic
4. Sanyo

I've had terrible luck with all JVC products so I don't even factor them into my equations. For me, JVC stuff always falls apart after a few short months.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:34 PM   #5

zeeky schrieb:
Quote:
a) Why do you not like the HDD handycams? I have been really checking out ALL kinds but thought it would be handier to have the 60 GB on board at all times?

b) Why do you like the DV cards or tapes better than HDD?

c) So, what you are saying is not to waste money on a better zoom option?
I don't think I need a great deal of zoom- I'm primarily using this for kids birthday parties, school concerts, wrestling matches etc. Just looking for good clear video picture/sound.

d) Oh! the one thing I DID like on the Sony DCR SR220 was that you can take still pics at 4MP, That is better than a lot I've seen on the net. Any thoughts on that?

e) How about the ones that record right onto a small DVD? I've never had any experience with any other than the short time I had the Sony- and the old VHS & 8mm tapes.

I will say- the few short times I used the Sony (before it was lost at Disney last month!) when I transfered to DVD any amount of movement seemed pixely. I wasn't real happy with the picture but thought O maybe just needed to learn more about it.

I am hoping to get one of these ordered, (and here) by 4/26 as it's my daughters birthday & I don't want to miss filming it!

Thanks for any and all input on this!

a) + b)HDD are mechanical, not suited for mountains > 3000 meter :sad:and space-limited, not for long travels. you cannot exchange hdds. long recording times, told by SONY, are middle to low quality. it's better to have tapes for $ 2.99 or SDHC-cards for $ 2 / GB

c) zoom > 10x makes no sense (you need a tripod), it is more important to have wide angle. 32x optical zoom is same gimmick like 1000x digital zoom. :O

d) this cam has 2.3 mpixel - pictures with 4 mpixel are interpolated - it's not atrick, it's SONY :shock:
pocket sized cheap cameras have "real" 10 mpixel

e) recording on 8cm-DVDs gives low quality (mpeg) and short recording times.

1.4 gb on one disk = some minutes in low quality mpeg. dv-tape for 1 hour dv has 13 gb.

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:11 PM   #6

Recording on 8cm (mini) DVD discs can result in both high and low quality video, depending on the setting chosen by the user.

If you choose the highest quality setting, you're going to get very good quality MPEG-2.

MiniDV quality is only better if you view the contents of a MiniDV cassette by connecting the camcorder or a player *directly* to a TV and then "play" the contents of the tape directly to the TV. If you make a DVD using the MiniDV tape, the MiniDV data is converted to MPEG-2... it undergoes compression... and the end result is really no better than the result one can obtain by recording directly to an 8cm DVD in that case.

My high definition Sony HDR-UX1 can also record standard definition MPEG-2 to 8cm discs and the quality is amazing.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 1:48 AM   #7

Hi! Thanks again! I have read and read on so many cameras I'm about to go cross-eyed! But I thought I'd follow up and let you know that I DID purchase one today! I hope I'm happy with it!

I won;t get it for possibly a week- hopefully by next Friday as Sat. is my daughters birthday! But we live in Alaska and I know it could take a week anyhow.

Will let ya'll know how I like it as I get to play with it

Thanks again for your input on this!

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-AVCHD-De...636&sr=8-1
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:52 PM   #8

DonalDuc wrote
Quote:
a) + b)HDD are mechanical, not suited for mountains > 3000 meter :sad:and space-limited, not for long travels. you cannot exchange hdds. long recording times, told by SONY, are middle to low quality. it's better to have tapes for $ 2.99 or SDHC-cards for $ 2 / GB
You know, for the average vacation length that may be a good thing, provided the HDD records a reasonable amount of course. When presented with unlimited ability to record video it is so tempting to 'live your vacation behind the lens' :lol:

Considering how cheap hard drives supposedly are now, I always wonder why the drives are always so small on these devices in the first place. It may of course be intentional to force you to transfer the footage to another format. I know people who would probably record movie clips until it filled up before bothering to download. A case of leaving too many eggs in one basket.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote