Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 23, 2010, 9:26 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by novolo View Post
ok i contacted aiptek support

and they sent me what they say is the latest firmware for the Aiptek A-HD+ : V.1.900

it improves A LOT the microphone...

but the picture is still dark...
I contacted Aiptek and was also sent the V1.900 ("1900") firmware for my A-HD+ camcorder. It originally came with V1.308 firmware. The video quality looks the same with the new firmware. The audio is MUCH louder than before, but only if some loud sound happens to trigger the gain.

With the old firmware, the audio would start out very quiet during the recording, but if some loud sound occurred (cough, dog bark, car horn, etc.) then the audio would suddenly become louder, and stay louder for the rest of the video. Now with V1.900, the audio still starts out very quiet, but some loud sound occurs, then the increase in volume is now much larger and more drastic, to the point of distortion.

Does this happen to anyone else? I just wonder if it is a glitch in my camera, but the "audio volume increase after loud sound" happens with both the original and new firmware, just to much different extents. Overall I'm not too worried about it because the Aiptek is now just a backup to my Kodak Zi8 and I rarely use it anymore for making videos.
vwestlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2010, 3:08 AM   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
I contacted Aiptek and was also sent the V1.900 ("1900") firmware for my A-HD+ camcorder. It originally came with V1.308 firmware. The video quality looks the same with the new firmware. The audio is MUCH louder than before, but only if some loud sound happens to trigger the gain.

With the old firmware, the audio would start out very quiet during the recording, but if some loud sound occurred (cough, dog bark, car horn, etc.) then the audio would suddenly become louder, and stay louder for the rest of the video. Now with V1.900, the audio still starts out very quiet, but some loud sound occurs, then the increase in volume is now much larger and more drastic, to the point of distortion.

Does this happen to anyone else? I just wonder if it is a glitch in my camera, but the "audio volume increase after loud sound" happens with both the original and new firmware, just to much different extents. Overall I'm not too worried about it because the Aiptek is now just a backup to my Kodak Zi8 and I rarely use it anymore for making videos.
As I will not flash the A-HD or plus and am running:
a-hd v2.002 oct 2007 dam 3 years
a-HD+ v1.404 april 2008

I will not upgrade

I had Aiptek repair and add the perfect firmware for me. so I will not have any issues?

I do not have what you're saying............

They are great for Video only the sound can always be edited in. I proved this with "redwing Epidition "video

what exactly and does it say in year for the latest?

I asked and asked and no new firmware. guess they are only all ears?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:47 AM   #223

Newest firmware can be found here.
Chatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 7:26 AM   #224

but that firmware is for the GVS completely different cameras....

the model for that firmware is z5x5 the A-HD+ 1080 is V5VP

Last edited by novolo; Apr 5, 2010 at 7:38 AM.
novolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 11:32 PM   #225

Default Aiptek AHD300: quick review/tech questions

I just bought for enormous 1.50€ on German eBay a silver Aiptek AHD 300 that was claimed to be defective ("does not turn on"), but after cleaning battery contact and charging the battery it started well, so I just made a quick test.

The type sticker in the battery compartment indicates "Model: V5VPS". Like all later European versions (released after the rare blue original "HD 720p") it unfortunately lacks AV-IN. In the manual there is the following interesting note about that jack: "* For select model only. If your camera only indicates ''AV OUT'', it does not support ''AV IN'' function." (Yes, my jack is only labelled 'AV-OUT'.)

- poor lowlight

The lowlight behaviour is poor; even in nightshot mode (which fortunately doesn't blur motion) my white TV set screen frame is almost invisible under normal 42W halogen bulb light - same with newspaper text that my eyes read well (my Aiptek T300LE and JayTech DC7000 are much more sensitive). It also lacks an LED video lamp, and after a flash photo with automatic white balance the whole screen turns red, which looks like a firmware bug. When I switch to a non-lightbulb white balance mode, the lowlight sensitivity turns a little better although quite reddish; apparently the lightbulb setting only reduces red instead of increasing green and blue gain.

- photos

Generally the model has quite few features. Most annoying is that the lowest photo resolution is 3MP (2048x1536), which is still way too big for short notes on websites. (E.g. when I document electronics, I tend to take hundreds of VGA resolution photos with each 50kB size, which is plenty enough for 90% of the things I need them for.) At least it can zoom into stored photos and stores them with file date.

- case & handling

The camera's TFT swivel screen is fairly small for the case and has poor contrast (black is medium grey, tiny vertical viewing angle). Annoying are the 2 fairly strong magnets in case and display frame. I also consider the case a bit bulky; the small Aiptek T300LE case was much more appropriate for a solid state camcorder without optical zoom. The jack cover of (PVC?) pseudo-rubber of my used specimen looks discoloured and hardened - apparently it got contact with solvents or too much sunlight which makes it loose plasticizer. By the way; the case shape with slanted top was apparently inspired by a 1970th walkie-talkie CB radio (that I saw in Avengers TV series?) which had the microphone where this thing has the lens. The lens is protected by a front pane and lens cap. Great for self-video is that the camcorder has a remote control. The battery turns warm during playback (I hope this NP60 lithium grenade won't explode), which hints to high CPU load by the decoding algorithm and resolution conversion. There seem to be no webcam mode; when plugged into USB, Windows displays 2 removable USB media for the SD card and internal flash memory.

- special AC adapter

Strange is that the original USB power supply/ charger of my specimen is an US version with bulky German mains socket adapter.

Important: Nice is that this camcorder can run on power supply also without inserted battery, but odd is that this works only with the original power supply and not with any of my other USB AC-adapters or USB voltage from the PC despite these work well to charge the battery. (Green/ red LED behave ok, but when switched on the LED turns blue and the thing locks up with black screen, even with inserted battery. Connecting other power supplies when the display is already on works ok.)

The original power supply also does not work with my other camcorders, because it outputs +5V only on pin 4 and not on pin 1 like requested by the USB standard. Apparently +5V on pin 1 even prevents this camcorder from turning on by switching it into mass storage (USB stick) mode, because also my AC adapters with voltage on both pins won't wake it up. (This may be the reason why the previous owner considered it defective after trying a standard AC adapter.) But in fully working mass storage mode an additional white LED would be lit, which is missing here.

- video quality

About the general video sharpness I can not say too much since I don't own any HDTV hardware, however there is some blatant snow visible already in preview mode. Yet I didn't get the videos to work on my historical PC (CPU AMD [email protected], graphics card Riva TNT2 with 32MB, 512MB RAM, Windows 98SE with KernelEx); modern codecs were not made for Win98SE and tend to be written only for 686er CPUs and above. The JPG photos even look quite sharp (possibly by the lack of a distorting zoom lens) although there is some snow indoors (even with flash).

So I connected the CVBS output to PAL TV to check the video quality. Annoying is that the live video does not fill the entire screen in this mode - not only because most modes are 16:9, but also because the low resolution mode CIF30f has only the size of a postcard in the middle of the TV screen; apparently it is not stretched but displayed in its original pixel size. Annoying is also that even with icons turned off, in live video the zoom scrollbar to the right always stays on screen, so it can not be used as a video camera for recording the analogue output externally. The indoor videos look quite dark (like expected), however at least the colour depth seems to be better than with my other SD-camcorders, i.e. grey bathroom tiles don't drown in a swamp of monochrome grey pixel mess but (with TV brightness turned up) still show a texture, and at least in low resolution mode I see no block artifacts during fast pan. Also the swirling screen pattern by pointing at the own TV output moves faster than with my ZORAN based camcorders, which hints to a fast CPU with low latency. But the digital zoom moves quite slowly and my specimen has a bright white dead pixel in the middle of the image sensor. There is no image stabilizer. The recorded sound has some static noise and during loud talking it once made a buzzing distortion.

The claimed video resolutions are:

[email protected] (HD 1080P)
[email protected] (HD 60f)
[email protected] (HD 30f)
[email protected] (D1 60f)
[email protected] (CIF 30f)

Thus I guess it is more like the American AHD+ than the AHD.

- Windows 98 operation

I finally found tricks how to play the incompatible MOV videos of these Aiptek things on Windows 98SE (with KernelEx) despite it refuses to install modern QuickTime versions. One method is to use the open source media player VLC (version "0.8.6i Janus"), which however has an awkward GUI and tends to lock up when it attempts to play too high resolution videos. It also often hangs in pause mode (shows only a still picture) when playing a video and only runs properly after restarting it.

The other method is renaming the file extension MOV into FLV and play it with GOM Player (version "2, 1, 21, 4846 (Unicode)") You have to disable the builtin codecs and must not enable "Change the screen size" to avoid a crash. As codec pack use ffdshow (version "ffdshow_rev1936_20080413_clsid.exe" is the latest than runs on 586er). My historical CPU and graphics card still can only handle QVGA (or the "CIF 30f") without jerking, but at least I can see the videos now.

- hardware

Pressing the known button combination displays the following firmware info:
Code:
Full: V2.900b
HW: C, Panel: AUO(VJ)
Time: Oct 1 2009 11:43:00
Nand: HY27US081G2A
Bin: sd_v5vp.bin

Lens: TB6512AF
Sensor: MT9P001
ROM: 10MB, DSP: 2048KB
Color Cal:1  Bp Cal:1
WB Cal:1
Lib base V3.1.0.0-1204

Default Lang: ENGL
Num of Lang: 15
Model: V5VPS
Maker:

DT: 2000-00-00,00:24:20
Line_Num: L1
Worker_Num: W0000
Level: 1
WPN: MIP-000000000
The mainboards type is "PCB,M/B,V5V REV:C -1080P 59-454-01000-000". The CPU here is not a ZORAN; the most obvious behaviour difference is that the automatic exposure doesn't switch brightness in coarse steps any more. The CPU is "Ambarella, A2-A1-RH, P48481.00A-1, 0810-TA, A270C". Above the CPU's top are 2 empty SMD locations (like for resistors, the first above the 'm' and in 2nd row above the 'r' of 'Ambarella')). Does anybody know if the US version of this camera has here parts or a solder blob inserted as jumpers to enable AV-IN???

(Although I don't expect that such simple methods are still used here in the age of nasty firmware variations, in music keyboards I found and unlocked many eastereggs by simply adding diodes to the keyboard matrix.)
MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU! *============================================================================* I CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler I I (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!) I I ! I *=============================ABANDON=THE=BRUTALITY==========================* {http://weltenschule.de/e_index.html}

Last edited by CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler; Jun 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM. Reason: How to play Aiptek MOV videos on Windows 98SE!
CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 8:14 AM   #226

omg my A-HD+ says odel number: V5VP

and your firmware appears to be for the V5VP!!!

and its 2.900 from 2009!!

how can i get that firmware??
Old May 7, 2010, 8:48 AM   #227

by contacting Aiptek. if the one here is of no help contact tawain and they'll be happy t o assist, I am sure the office is on a weekend schedule today
Old May 7, 2010, 8:51 AM   #228

yeah i contacted the taiwan support email last week and no response yet...

lets hope by monday i get some sort of response...
Old May 7, 2010, 10:31 AM   #229

contact again when the office is open on sunday evening Easternt time. They are main Headquarters. I thought a member posted this up in another thread here for all. I refuse to, nah, just very happy with my firmware on the model old.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:34 AM   #230

ohh, another user posted about contacting the taiwan Headquarters?

could you send me a link i cant find that post...

maybe im sending to the wrong website or email...

tankS!