Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:41 PM   #151

I was at walmart today, $200 in my pocket and I looked at the apitek action hd and the 188. I had to leave them, think just some more. I am wondering if I should go and get the 188. I wish Vega would let me edit it better.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:47 PM   #152

Thati is your decision, I already own themodels and why have just another repeat, was not worth it. happy with what I got
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:32 PM   #153

Haven't made my final decision.

My wife told me to get one, and I was

going to watch some more clips and maybe

do some dvd video to watch again on the television.

I can record external audio and I am

right now using SUPER

(website: http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html)

to convert the video to an MOV file.

The codec they use, as SUPER said, was

Intel H.264, interesting. So after this, going

to mess with the files. I think the Jazz is a good camcorder.

Old Apr 26, 2008, 7:35 PM   #154

Having just ordered a new smartphone for my wife, I won't be buying another camera for a little while yet :lol:

Just some more fun photos from my HDV178

And my video collection for this camera is at http://www.vimeo.com/user315487/videos if you want to check in and see the stuff I will add from time to time.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:23 PM   #155

Sony got back to me after I reported the fact that importing Aiptek Quicktime .MOV files causes Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 to crash.

They confirmed the Sony software doesn't support such files.

But their message indicated they are "considering" adding support for such files.

I think it's pretty lame that there's no support for these files because the Sony Web site claims there is support for .MOV file imports.

Anyway, it is possible to edit the Aiptek files in Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:38 PM   #156

I use vegas movie 8 I am able to edit the aiptek but less the soundwhile doing so, not sure if hte sound is heard after I tend to forget .
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 9:48 PM   #157

You can edit them with Cyberlink PowerDirector 6. That is what I use and the result is simply amazing. Ulead Video Studio crashes a lot. Not a very good software. Cyberlink PowerProducer 6 even lets you correct the sound and remove grain and artifacts from the video!

Try it. You can get a trial at their website.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Sony got back to me after I reported the fact that importing Aiptek Quicktime .MOV files causes Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 to crash.

They confirmed the Sony software doesn't support such files.

But their message indicated they are "considering" adding support for such files.

I think it's pretty lame that there's no support for these files because the Sony Web site claims there is support for .MOV file imports.

Anyway, it is possible to edit the Aiptek files in Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

Private Idaho
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:26 PM   #158

coosbaytv, Yes I have been able to use the 44.1KHz Sample Rateaudio at Bitrates as high as 320Kbps on an external video (MP3 audio). I went into detail on my post on page 4 of this thread. I've also now been able tomodify that same Profile file andre-encode video at as high as 10Mbps, (video bitrate). I used this high of a video bitrate for a re-encode of a HD 1280x720 music video I had on my hard drive. The now re-encoded XviD HD 1280x720 video will playback smoothly from the HDV188 to a HD TV connected by the supplyed HDMI cable. I tested video bitrates from 3Mbps to 10Mbps and at least for this DivX encoded music video it needed 10Mbps for it to look very close to the original DivX clip. You may be able to use higher video bitrates yet, but you would have such a large resulting file it would not be practical. As it was the file went from 172MB's (original video) to 267MB's (re-encoded video).This was re-encoding at 10Mbps, the videois 3 minutes 48 seconds long. At this high of a bitrate you would only be able to get about1 hour of high quality HD video on the HDV188 using a 4GB SD card. Now when you think about it1 hour of high quality HD video on a device as small as a HDV188 ain't that bad, is it. I'm working hard to make a custom Profile that when I'm done will allow for encoding both standard definition, and HD definition, at high bitrates so that the resulting re-encoded video files look very good (and sound very good)on a HD TV connected to the HDV188 by the HDMI cable. When I'm done getting this custom Profile file together, I'll shair it with the members of this forum. I do feel though that most people here are just interested in using there HDV188, and HDV178 asHD camcorders. But, I think they are missing out on a great feature of these units. The ability to take something as small as these cams and go to a friends place and play a movie or TV show on there HD TV in full HD quality. I guess I have to realize this is a cam forum, and there would be more interest on the video editing forum's like VideoHelp.com or doom9.org.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:37 PM   #159

I think I will pick the Jazz 188 tomorrow, I got enough for an sd chip and a tripod I think. I can start with test shots and such. I will try powerdirector for editing.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:38 PM   #160

bobcat56458 wrote:
Quote:
coosbaytv, Yes I have been able to use the 44.1KHz Sample Rateaudio at Bitrates as high as 320Kbps on an external video (MP3 audio). I went into detail on my post on page 4 of this thread. I've also now been able tomodify that same Profile file andre-encode video at as high as 10Mbps, (video bitrate). I used this high of a video bitrate for a re-encode of a HD 1280x720 music video I had on my hard drive. The now re-encoded XviD HD 1280x720 video will playback smoothly from the HDV188 to a HD TV connected by the supplyed HDMI cable. I tested video bitrates from 3Mbps to 10Mbps and at least for this DivX encoded music video it needed 10Mbps for it to look very close to the original DivX clip. You may be able to use higher video bitrates yet, but you would have such a large resulting file it would not be practical. As it was the file went from 172MB's (original video) to 267MB's (re-encoded video).This was re-encoding at 10Mbps, the videois 3 minutes 48 seconds long. At this high of a bitrate you would only be able to get about1 hour of high quality HD video on the HDV188 using a 4GB SD card. Now when you think about it1 hour of high quality HD video on a device as small as a HDV188 ain't that bad, is it. I'm working hard to make a custom Profile that when I'm done will allow for encoding both standard definition, and HD definition, at high bitrates so that the resulting re-encoded video files look very good (and sound very good)on a HD TV connected to the HDV188 by the HDMI cable. When I'm done getting this custom Profile file together, I'll shair it with the members of this forum. I do feel though that most people here are just interested in using there HDV188, and HDV178 asHD camcorders. But, I think they are missing out on a great feature of these units. The ability to take something as small as these cams and go to a friends place and play a movie or TV show on there HD TV in full HD quality. I guess I have to realize this is a cam forum, and there would be more interest on the video editing forum's like VideoHelp.com or doom9.org.
Actually when devices get this cheap they make a good alternative to DVD players on short trips with kids if you encode with a low bitrate since it won't be noticeable on that size of screen. I often use my phone to keep my son occupied (even though we have a portable DVD player!) at certain times because it has a built in speaker. Try and find an inexpensive media player with built in speakers. Most you need headphones and I don't want him to be using headphones at his age. A friend of mine was also trying to look for a cheap media player with a built in speaker well under $200. We tend to use our Nokia Phones but while in use, you can't use your phone then LOL Sure you can use a DVD player but its a bit awkward for them to use a DVD player in a stroller or standing when you just want to keep them occupied a short while! Having just said that I am not sure the speaker would be loud enough unlike our phones which are plenty loud enough.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote