Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:12 PM   #171

Ok now the videos are up. It was an overcast day at the park.

[flash=320,256]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=948279&server=http://www.vimeo.com&fullscreen=1&show_ti tle=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait= 0&color=[/flash]

The rest of the videos are at http://www.vimeo.com/user315487/videos

You're welcome to leave comments on individual videos.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:01 PM   #172

request:\ Arc Impressions for the 178 is 4:3 ratio

when you're ready to save usng that program look in the advance see what ratio you are able to save as? is it only 4:3 or are you able to go 16:9

Once we find this info out it we'll be able to say a few things here.

you can change the sound in the 178 but not the ratio?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:06 PM   #173

Got my 188 today, kick a** piece of equipment. The only thing I don't like: the HDMI plastic cover won't stay on if you tip the camera. Not a big deal.

Ok, not that I installed the codecs, Sony Vegas WILL edit the video! I am having a weird issue, there is no sound when I play the original clips. VLC plays them, no sound. Windows media Player WON'T play it, locks. Arcsoft can convert to a nice DVD 720x480 video, and good quality. I am STILL trying to get a way to edit the video, then save them out in full HD quality. i might have to try Powerdirector, downloading now.

Here is my sample, my dogs on the porch (yes a messy porch right now). The porch is dark, and the light from outside shines in and it is like that and I am pleased at how this camcorder performs.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7BX764JR

I was going to go do some outside shots, it WAS sunny and then storms came in. I bought the 188 from walmart and a tripod, the freaking tripod broke and I took it back. Tacky contruction :X Walmart is kind of ridiculous. Ok, a Sandisk 2 gig SD chip is $19 online, but they will NOT honor their own prices and it is $32 in the store! I found a micro SD 2 gig and a full SD adapter, for $15. With the adapter, it works fine! Take that walmart. :ak47:

I am happy, and I can't wait to try more of this piece of equipment. The audio is good, not perfect, but good enough and loud. I plan to do some more testing and post it.

OH, the video out with the rca plugs, not the hdmi, isn't great. The video looks like crap, but oh well, I plan to take the video off the camcorder and do it right.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:52 PM   #174

I just saw the IR modified HDV178 video by Jaggermax. Very cool. Reminds me of when I did a similar thing with an Aiptek Pencam SD using a piece of 35mm film. Created some cool surreal photos!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:24 PM   #175

When I got home from work and opened my email I had a PM from coosbaytv. I'm going to shair this PM, and my reply with you all as you may be interested in doing what coosbaytv wants to do. He is not interested in re-encoding movies or TV shows and uploading them to the Jazz cam. He just wants to take his home movies and edit them for playback for family, and friends. I have now read his last post to this thread and see that he has made DVD's of his cam shot video. I would like to suggest that to retain his (or your) original video quality, but be able to edit and join several clips together, he and others take a different approach. By putting it on a standard definition DVD you are loosing quality two ways. First you are going from high definition 1280x720 resolution to the DVD resolution of 720x480. Secondly, you are loosing quality because you are re-encoding the video/audio, something you should avoid if possible.

{coosbaytv's PM, and my reply}

_____Original Message_____
Date: 2008-04-27 14:37:02
Subject: Media Converter

Hey bobcat56458:

I think that maybe we are misunderstanding each other on your adapting the code in the file you found.

I am not really interested in using it to encode a movie or music video but with one of my own pieces of video shot with the 188. The problem with the converter app is that the options are too low of quality or the file size is huge in comparison to say a DV AVI file.

Anyway, I am curious on your progress especially the stability of the changes you make in running the app afterwards.

Jay

(bobcats reply to Jay)

Hi Jay:
Its hard to believe that the file sizes are larger than DV AVI because encoding with the DV codec uses 11GB per hour. If what you are trying to do is edit your HD footage shot with the HDV188 or HDV178 to cut out parts of the footage that you do not want, or combine several video clips, then I suggest you use VirtualDub because it has the ability to do what is called "Direct stream copy", where the video & audio is not re-encoded so you retain the original quality H.264 video, and ADPCM audio, but are still able to trim the clip, and then combine the saved trimmed clips into one long video clip using its "Append AVI segment" command. You would have to learn the free VirtualDub program, but the results would be much better than re-encoding the original video. The resulting HD video file would playback fine on your computer, and on the HDV188, or HDV178. I just did a test of doing this with VirtualDub, I did find that working with the Jazz HD video files did make VirtualDub behave differently than it usually does. Normally you can drag the bottom timeline slider and then start playback from where you draged it to. Now I find it will not decode the video when you press the play button after moving the slider, lets say to mid point in the video clip. But if you drag the slider from the beginning of the clip it will show the video allowing you to find your edit points. Also I noticed that you should not edit the start time of the first video clip, just this first video clip must start from its beginning, I believe this may be because it looses it header information if you trim the start time of the first clip. You can however trim the end time of the first video clip. You would now save that video clip using "Direct stream copy" for both the video, and audio, by using the "Save as AVI" command. After it is done saving that video file you would use the command "Close video file". You will notice that it saves the video file very fast because it is not re-encoding it, just re-saving it. Now your ready to open the second video clip that is in the sequence of your project. On this video clip you can trim both the start time, and the end time. You would save this video clip just as you did with the first one. If you try to playback this second saved video clip using a computer media player it will only show black, don't worry the video is still there, I think its just missing the header information. Now lets say you want to combine these two saved edited video clips. After using the "Close video file" command to clear VirtualDub of all video, you would open the first edited video clip. Now to add the second video clip to the end of the first video clip. You would use the "Append AVI segment" command. You will now have both video clips joined together. Now you would use the "Save as AVI" command to save your joined video (again using "Direct stream copy"). You now have your final home movie file and you can play it on the computer, or upload it back to the Jazz cam, and even play it to a HD TV using the supplied HDMI cable with no loss of quality from your original shot video.

About your second question about the stability of the MediaConverter program after editing the Profiles file. I will tell you this, do not edit the "User Defined.dpr" file. I lost the ability to playback external re-encoded videos stored on the Jazz cam when I did this (all's well now). You should only edit the "Coach.dpr" Profile file (remember to backup the original "Coach.dpr" file!). By editing this file you can change the audio bitrate to 44.1KHz which is needed to playback a external re-encoded video clip (movie or TV show) on the Jazz cam connected to a HD TV by the supplied HDMI cable. You can also edit the video Bitrate. But this is not what you are interested in doing anyway, so I suggest you don't edit the "Coach.dpr" Profile file because you will not need to for what you want to do with your home movies.

bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:05 AM   #176

Well after analizing the video samples of the Aiptek Action HD I have to say I am impressed...VERY impressed, especially on 720p at 60 fps. The video looks awesome and yes, it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the Jazz so I thinkI am going to return the Jazz tomorrow to Walmart and get an Action HD instead.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:56 AM   #177

Well I went thismorning to Walmart and exchanged the Jazz 188 for an Aiptek Action HD. Paid a little more but I think it will be worth it video quality wise.

This Aiptek Action HD video contributed to my decision:

http://www.driveway.com/g7j9o7s4h0

There is simply no way the Jazz can look that good.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:14 PM   #178

I was excited by this low-cost $99 camcorder before I had a chance to use it. After watching video clips from this camera, I am disappointed. There are severe video problems, like frames dropping and high noise with motions.
Tebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:39 PM   #179

I see two didn't like the Jazz, well there is the aiptek. Tebay, I didn't like some of the shots from the 178, the $99 one, but I did like the 188 which I got. I think the chip in the 178 isn't as good as the the 188.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 4:28 PM   #180

we're uncertain what chip is used, and if there is a diffrence, we can only observe, unless the specs or schematics from Ispan/Jazz lets us know.

The AIptek (3.0) (2.0) are yes much better, the JAzz (800) are a great way to get those who do not have those Higher end Pc or duel core laps. You may hear others with lower pcs wanting a Higher end model, not goingto happen that fast.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote