Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:24 AM   #181

I think I have found how to convert these. It TRIPLES the file size, but gets it out of the God aweful codec. Ok, here is my SUPER settings:

Output Container: mov
Output Video Codec: DivX
Output Audio Codec: AAC

Video
Video Scale Size: 1280:720
Aspect: 16:9
Frame/Sec: 30
Bitrate: 4176 (This can change, I check in Super to find the bitrate match it as close as possible)
Options: CHECK "Top Quality"

Audio
Sampling Freq: 22050
Channels: 1
Bitrate kbps: 96
Track: default

This created a .MOV file that is larger than the original, 3 time bigger, but keeps the quality (no fuzziness) AND the audio is fine. Adobe After Effects likes it and I think this a winner. I was thinking of returning this camcorder, but I got around it. SUPER isn't crap like somebody else posted, just SO MANY options to chose from. This way now I can convert these videos and have a HD720 version that is playable in Quicktime and VLC and editers will like.

sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:32 AM   #182

nice work sandmanfvr: I will try that myself.

Incidently, what are you using After Effects for?

This combo is an interesting one: high end motion graphics/effects and entry level cam:roll:.

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:40 AM   #183

I have got After Effects and Sony Vegas. I would use these to put scenes together, put titles in and credits. I don't have Vegas here at work, but I will try it at home with this new file. The file went from 9 megs to 33 megs, yeah a big jump but for video editing, it isn't that bad. I can take clips edit them together and then export them out to 720x480 widescreen after that and just archive the jazz clips as I edit. Easy enough. Video editing does take space.

What you can do with this, is convert your file, then put it in a video editor and then do your thing and make your movie, then delete the converted file and keep the compressed Jazz file. Video editors should get external hard drives anyway.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:45 AM   #184

sandmanfvr: I know, I do it all day long...

Jay

www.nogglemedia.com

ps, if I can help let me know
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:22 AM   #185

Jay what is the best application to use to edit videos and make DVDs with menus and stuff? I have been using Cyberlink PowerDirector 6 but it lacks DVD templates and it doesn't give me the option of creating my own or editing the very little ones it has.

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
sandmanfvr: I know, I do it all day long...

Jay

http://www.nogglemedia.com

ps, if I can help let me know
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 11:37 AM   #186

scorbing:

I have used Ulead DVD Workshop and have used it for the last several years with good results.

Jay
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:07 PM   #187

I tried Ulead Video Studio 11.5 Plus and it kept crashing on me so I am a bit scared of Ulead's software. Have you had any crashes or issues with DVD Workshop?

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
scorbing:

I have used Ulead DVD Workshop and have used it for the last several years with good results.

Jay
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:14 PM   #188

no, they are completely separate products; entry level consumer vs prosumer.

I started out with Ulead products, Media Studio Pro... http://www.ulead.com/msp/ and have a podcast based on these products as well; www.mediastoogespro.com.

Jay
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:19 PM   #189

The problem with DVD Workshop is that it is a product for which there has been no new development for years.

Remember... Ulead doesn't really exist anymore.

After it was bought out by InterVideo, a *huge* staff reduction took place.

In other words, the company really no longer existed.

So InterVideo got the old Ulead code in 2005.

Next, InterVideo decided to basically "kill" three Ulead products:

1. MediaStudio Pro
2. DVD Workshop
3. Cool 3D Production Studio

There has been no new development on any of these three former Ulead products since Ulead was bought out.

After InterVideo bought the Ulead software code and many key Ulead staff left, the InterVideo company was then bought by Corel.

Corel has failed to demonstrate any renewed commitment to the DVD Workshop, MediaStudio Pro or Cool 3D products and has pretty much kept customers in the dark.

Corel keeps the "Ulead" name, but that's all it is... a name.

It means "strength through friendship" and was a name that was chosen by a handful of company founders in the late 80s who started the Ulead firm with investment dollars from the Microtek scanner company in Taiwan.

You have to be careful if you buy the old DVD Workshop product.

Ulead programmers -- unfortunately -- created a system wherein a "common" Ulead folder is created on your computer when you install multiple Ulead programs.

If you install DVD Workshop after you install VideoStudio 11 Plus, the files that DVD Workshop writes to this "common" folder will overwrite the files that were installed by VideoStudio 11 Plus and the end result is that the "IMPORT FROM DVD" capture feature in VideoStudio 11 Plus will be rendered utterly broken.

Likewise, if you install VideoStudio 11 Plus after you install DVD Workshop, then the files that VideoStudio 11 Plus writes to the "common" folder will overwrite the patch files in DVD Workshop that fixed the subtitle truncation bug.

So the bugs get you no matter which installation order you choose.

In addition, Ulead's "smart render" technology only works well for DV .avi and other types of "I-Frame" codec files.

If you attempt to use Ulead's "smart render" technology with MPEG or any other type of "long GOP" file type, then many problems can result.

For example, audio/video synchronization can be broken if you render out a timeline full of certain types of long GOP MPEGs with smart render enabled.

In addition, many users of Ulead products report tiny "glitches" at edit points when editing and rendering out MPEG timelines with "smart render" enabled.

So, sadly, if you're editing and rendering out long GOP timelines, you might be better off turning "smart render" OFF.

I have used many Windows-based programs over the years.

Ulead VideoStudio;
Ulead MediaStudio Pro;
Adobe Premiere;
Sony Vegas Movie Studio

They all have bugs. All of them.

My experience has been far better on the Mac; I was reluctant to buy a Mac because I perceived it to be more expensive.

Turns out I was wrong.

When you consider all of the hassles that I now no longer encounter, the Mac turned out to be the most economical purchase I've ever made in the computer world.

The video and audio editing tools are superb!

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:32 PM   #190

By the way, Corel's CEO just announced he's resigning.

So that company will be without anybody at the helm for some time to come.

Meanwhile, Vector Capital, the private firm that owns a majority of Corel, now wants to take the company completely private by buying all of the public shares.

And Vector is offering a very low price.

And nobody seems to be making a better offer.

Draw your own conclusions.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote