Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 29, 2008, 2:36 PM   #191

Interesting article about Corel:

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9079684

It mentions the Ulead video and DVD products.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:48 PM   #192

Private Idaho: WOW,

sounds like you know one of those former Corel/Ulead employees and have very strong feelings about the whole thing.

FYI: We used to be in contact with the Marketing guy in Taiwan and most of us weren't happy with the way things were handled. The podcast is in the process of regrouping into a non specific brand affiliate show and we want to incorporate more cross platform conversations.

Ulead is the company that I started with as a consumer and at the time, the products worked very well to meet my needs. Your info as to the crashing of VideoStudio is interesting considering they decided to change their market focus from prosumer to entry level consumer and it sounds like that isn't working out so hot! :?

I have since moved on to Adobe products as I have also entered into web development as well as video production so I thought it made sense.

I have always wanted to "try" the Mac end of things as many collegues have told me over and over to go Mac. I have already decided my next hardware purchase will probably be in that direction when needed.

DVD Workshop is the only app of Ulead I still use with the exeption of MSP's capture module has the best still export option I have found.

Jay

www.nogglemedia.com
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:53 PM   #193

Actually, I still think Ulead VideoStudio and Sony Vegas Movie Studio are the two best consumer applications on the Windows platform.

The crashing in Ulead VideoStudio was actually something related to the Cineform codec... but it seems that has been fixed with the release of the very latest version of the Cineform codec.

Ulead still has the most powerful input/output options and an incredible array of settings for technical users.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is also a great program, but why did Sony drop the ball and not even include basic Quicktime support for these Aiptek HD files? Lame... and it takes the program down a notch.

Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 11?

I tried that one.

I know Jan Ozer of PC Magazine loves that program, but I don't.

Pinnacle is totally incompatible with Cineform; if you install Cineform, the entire program slows to a crawl. Lame. I sold my copy of Pinnacle. Glad to get rid of it. It did have lots of effects, however.

Adobe's Premiere Elements doesn't support AVCHD so that rules out that one for me.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:50 AM   #194

I am seriously considering a Mac for my video and photos editing stuff. I am sick of Windows and all these useless applications that never work right. Windows was not designed for video editing, it was designed for games. Macs are the way to go from what I see.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:26 PM   #195

If you buy a Mac, you'll get programs that work.

However... there's a learning curve.

Fortunately, Apple puts a lot of tutorials on the Apple Web site for each program.

The tutorials help.

A few things I've noticed since I bought a Mac:

1. You don't have to wait forever for the system to boot up mainly because Macs are not typically targeted by viruses and so you don't need to have an anti-virus program churning away as you boot up your Windows PC. The Mac just boots up very quickly.

2. If you want to uninstall a program on the Mac, you just throw it in the trash. Easy. Simple. There's no tentacle of an old program remaining as often happens on Windows when you try to "uninstall" a program.

3. I am not afraid on the Mac to download trial versions of software; if they don't work I throw them in the trash and my system isn't ruined.

4. Apple includes an intermediate codec for editing high definition; It's called the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). It works well. On Windows, I spent $250 on Cineform and it has required a lot of troubleshooting. Apple is much better in this regard.

5. iMovie 08 is a very nice program, but it's totally different than what most of us coming from Windows are used to; Apple decided not to focus on audio editing in iMovie '08. But that's not a problem because Apple includes Garage Band as a companion audio/video editing program. I was amazed to find out I could import Quicktime clips into Garage Band and edit their audio tracks.

6. If you grow out of iMovie 08, which comes FREE, you can spend $200 for Final Cut Express 4, which has a ton of advanced editing options.

7. The Apple-branded software seems to be much more stable to me; I don't experience lots of crashes.

I spent just $599 on my Mac mini.

Best computer I've ever owned; It's also the smallest computer I've ever owned.

I used to build my Windows PCs and I would spend hours researching components and then I would assemble them and usually I would get everything working fine.

But I didn't enjoy spending so much time on the researching and the building.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:57 PM   #196

I just walked in to Wal-mart, and the 178 was out of stock, the 188 was in stock, I stepped back and decided not worth the extra few dollars with a economy one in hand already. This is more fo rthe PC world while the Aiptek stepped over to the mac world. file size or videos are catering .mov, and hardely Asf or avi. for me to have a avi with H264 will not accept in wmm, unless loading its codecs in that I am again happy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:03 PM   #197

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I just walked in to Wal-mart, and the 178 was out of stock, the 188 was in stock, I stepped back and decided not worth the extra few dollars with a economy one in hand already. This is more fo rthe PC world while the Aiptek stepped over to the mac world. file size or videos are catering .mov, and hardely Asf or avi. for me to have a avi with H264 will not accept in wmm, unless loading its codecs in that I am again happy
I was thinking of the 188 but decided that if I was to pay $150 I may as well go all the way and get the Aiptek action HD for $199. The whole point of the 178 for me was it's throwaway price making it an ideal 'beach' camera. 'Beach' camera meaning, for me, any camera that you are not afraid to take anywhere such as the beach, or other iffy environment. I do think my next camera is going to be a full or near full HD model though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:08 AM   #198

2,4 inchs creens are becoming old, and the action Hd is just that, becoming old. having hte same old features for me

if you already invested over and over the same style cam it becomes old.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:06 AM   #199

The video on the Action HD is impressive, even on DVD format, but if you have an HD DVD drive and can make an HD DVD you will be impressed with the quality of the video. Also, the Arcsoft software, Total Media Extreme, is 10 times better than anything I have ever used. It lets you customomize the DVD menu and everything on it, something Ulead DVD Workshop and Cybelink PowerDirector cannot do and it converts the .MOV file to DVD in a flash. No glitches. I highly recommend it.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking of the 188 but decided that if I was to pay $150 I may as well go all the way and get the Aiptek action HD for $199. The whole point of the 178 for me was it's throwaway price making it an ideal 'beach' camera. 'Beach' camera meaning, for me, any camera that you are not afraid to take anywhere such as the beach, or other iffy environment. I do think my next camera is going to be a full or near full HD model though.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:26 PM   #200

scorbing:

I customize my DVD Workshop menus all the time.

As a matter of fact, ALL I USE is customized media in my client's menus as this makes the project completely personal and about them.

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote