Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 1, 2008, 12:33 PM   #201

Sorry I didn't mean to say Ulead DVD Workshop!..Oooops....Cyberlink was the one I meant. Just re-read my post and realized that.

What I was going to say about Ulead DVD Workshop is that it cannot convert the .MOV file to DVD format for some reason. The program stopped responding...At least it didn't work for me and I have an Athlon 64 6000+ with 3gigs RAM and an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro and Windows XP Pro so its not a resource issue. When I converted the .MOV file with the software from Arcsoft it worked like a charm.

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
scorbing:

I customize my DVD Workshop menus all the time.

As a matter of fact, ALL I USE is customized media in my client's menus as this makes the project completely personal and about them.

Jay
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:17 PM   #202

Hey all, this is my second post ever.

I stopped by Walmart today to pick up the HDV-178. They didn't have the 188 in stock. To be honest, with the $99 price point, I'm sure if I really would have gotten the 188.

I've read a few posts here stating that some think that the 188 has better recording quality. I was watching the videos and couldn't really tell. Could someone tell me what the real differences are between the two models other than the 188 having a larger screen?

Thanks all, I'll post some vids of my 178 soon.

Dae
daewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:00 PM   #203

daewon wrote:
Quote:
Hey all, this is my second post ever.

I stopped by Walmart today to pick up the HDV-178. They didn't have the 188 in stock. To be honest, with the $99 price point, I'm sure if I really would have gotten the 188.

I've read a few posts here stating that some think that the 188 has better recording quality. I was watching the videos and couldn't really tell. Could someone tell me what the real differences are between the two models other than the 188 having a larger screen?

Thanks all, I'll post some vids of my 178 soon.

Dae
I have the 178 and I also couldn't really tell the difference between the 178 and 188 video wise either. The bitrate seems to be the same and if there is a difference it's not enough to make me pay an extra $50 even for the slightly larger LCD.

It's not as if the video on the 178 is terrible and as long as you use it for general people and places videos and not for wildlife photography you'll be fine. The reason I say wildlife photography is that the bitrate is not quite high enough to cope with complex scenes such as vegetation though it's not terrible by any means especially considering it's price.

If you haven't already, have a look at some samples I did with mine:

http://www.vimeo.com/user315487/videos
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 5:14 AM   #204

Cosmetics:

188 has more silver the zoom, the buttons are bigger, the body not 75% rubber coated.

Features:

Font is larger, located some pics in back of this thread, and a lil too big to realy tellm while you'll see mine shoing the actual size measured my hand to the pic its exact. Lyrics have names, not sure yet on the 178, so far.

Video, truely the answer lies in the company while we only observe, some may say it, the 188 is better. I'll tell you the same H264 avi format same size etc.

You want a bigger camera ge the 188 you want a mor compact get the 178. you want a better machine or different company go with someone else, never saying get a Aiptek, mustek just your own choice.

veggie, fruit, flower, whatever. the color is vivid and can cause uncertain video shooting, does it bother some well, they just do not film those shots anymore.

Remember both cams can handle, and be able to proform on "OLDER PCS" and that is why this model works well, 800 processor and higher. the H264 codec does not work on windows moviemaker yet, unless we have to load its codecs or disk in, possably will recognise, the video, otherwise icrash on HD when sampling

2nd post or not Welcome in
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 7:17 AM   #205

Seems the Jazz's were the "big thing" last week and now the Aiptek's are better. Weird how this forum changes. :G I got the 188 and for $50, why not? I have watched a bunch of the Jazz videos and to me, the 188 does better in "finer details", and the construction is bigger, ala the lcd is very large. I haven't messed with going "finer" in my video setting, I may get even more detail. I love the Jazz, the sound is good even if not at 44khz. It is clean and loud. You open the lcd and it is on, one button for video and one for photos. Easy. I burnt a Jazz video on here to DVD and played it on my 50 inch HD plasma, looked wonderful. Not saying the Aiptek's aren't nice, but from the 720p 60FPS samples I saw, to fuzzy and lack in fine details.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 7:57 AM   #206

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
Seems the Jazz's were the "big thing" last week and now the Aiptek's are better. Weird how this forum changes. :G I got the 188 and for $50, why not? I have watched a bunch of the Jazz videos and to me, the 188 does better in "finer details", and the construction is bigger, ala the lcd is very large. I haven't messed with going "finer" in my video setting, I may get even more detail. I love the Jazz, the sound is good even if not at 44khz. It is clean and loud. You open the lcd and it is on, one button for video and one for photos. Easy. I burnt a Jazz video on here to DVD and played it on my 50 inch HD plasma, looked wonderful. Not saying the Aiptek's aren't nice, but from the 720p 60FPS samples I saw, to fuzzy and lack in fine details.
That's why we really need someone to shoot the same scenes on both the 178 and 188 because the bitrate seems to be exactly the same so perhaps the 188 has the algorithm tweaked better or it may be psychological. The reason I say this, is because even on my 178 some clips seem to be better on finer details than others and the only way to resolve this is to shoot the exact same scene on both.

To be fair to the Aiptek, the bitrate is not much higher than the Jazz so the details are going to still be lacking but I have to admit that Aiptek have done a good job. To put this in perspective, their rivals, the Sanyos have twice the bitrate at 9Mbps to the Aiptek's 4.5Mbps at the same setting.
Old May 2, 2008, 9:42 AM   #207

What kills the Jazz is the 30fps setting. If the Jazz had a 60fps setting at 720p like the Aiptek I am sure it would look much better but the Aiptek Action HD has the 720p @ 60fps and that video looks simply awesome. I don't see artifacts of any kind. Of course to really appreciate the quality of the Action HD video on that setting you have to make an HD DVD and play it on an HD DVD Player because when you convert the .MOV file to make a regular DVD it looses quality and you really can't appreciate the true resolution the video was recorded at. I tell you this because when I make a video on the Action HD and play Media Player the quality is on HD and it is outstanding but when I convert that same video to a standard DVD and play it on my HD TV it doesnt look the same. HD DVD Recorders for PCs are very expensive right now so I guess I will have to settle for standard DVD quality for now but the Aiptek is awesome and for those who said the AF is sloppy...not at all. I have not had any issues with it. It focuses quite fast and stay on its target. I highly recommend this camcorder. It is very nice for the price.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
That's why we really need someone to shoot the same scenes on both the 178 and 188 because the bitrate seems to be exactly the same so perhaps the 188 has the algorithm tweaked better or it may be psychological. The reason I say this, is because even on my 178 some clips seem to be better on finer details than others and the only way to resolve this is to shoot the exact same scene on both.

To be fair to the Aiptek, the bitrate is not much higher than the Jazz so the details are going to still be lacking but I have to admit that Aiptek have done a good job. To put this in perspective, their rivals, the Sanyos have twice the bitrate at 9Mbps to the Aiptek's 4.5Mbps at the same setting.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 1:08 PM   #208

60 fps mean NOTHING when you convert to tv/dvd, which 30 or under after your convert it. The aiptek couldn't HOLD a consistent 30fps (from what I have read), where as the Jazz seemingly does 30fps all the way through. I haven't seen one frame drop in my videos and got one where my dogs are playing and run really fast, jump around and it is smoooooooth. To me Aiptek did the 60fps to make up for the A-HD and GO-HD lack of consistent 30fps. Plus the 60 fps is just more file space that will be reduced when you convert, kind of a waste.

They are all nice camcorders with strengths and weaknesses, but I think maybe Aiptek maybe falling behind, or at least catching up to other companies. Just my opinion.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 3:05 PM   #209

Action HD and A-HD comparison if hte Jazz has the same level. so yes the JAzz would be the better cam if we are comparing the A-HD, and Go-Hd?

1. 188 users will have to pick a basic, and 178 a basic video and we can compare, what video will it be, that is your decision, not going to spend the 150 unless you like to donate a few dollars per to my Paypal account and I be happy to pick one up,
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 3:39 PM   #210

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
60 fps mean NOTHING when you convert to tv/dvd, which 30 or under after your convert it. The aiptek couldn't HOLD a consistent 30fps (from what I have read), where as the Jazz seemingly does 30fps all the way through. I haven't seen one frame drop in my videos and got one where my dogs are playing and run really fast, jump around and it is smoooooooth. To me Aiptek did the 60fps to make up for the A-HD and GO-HD lack of consistent 30fps. Plus the 60 fps is just more file space that will be reduced when you convert, kind of a waste.

They are all nice camcorders with strengths and weaknesses, but I think maybe Aiptek maybe falling behind, or at least catching up to other companies. Just my opinion.
That was what I was thinking. 60fps is only really useful for PC viewing at the moment which is why I am not currently excited by the 60fps setting.