Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 17, 2008, 10:23 PM   #231

One thing I've just noticed is that with the Image Stabilization turned on the cam records in HD NTSC at 24fps (frames per second), and with the Image Stabilization turned off it records at 30fps. This is only really important if you want to Append together several clips that are a mixture of videos that had both Image Stabilization on, and off in a program like Virtualdub, or Avidemux.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 7:16 PM   #232

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the Jazz 178 under a different name available in the UK from Aldi this week for £69.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6021.htm
pootle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 9:41 PM   #233

Where can I find the Jazz website?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 9:44 PM   #234

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Where can I find the Jazz website?
http://www.jazzcameras.com/

Not as useful as their old site was though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 11:26 PM   #235

Thanks.

Have you had a look at the links to the new cameras I posted in the hybrid list thread yet?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:29 PM   #236

I just got a 178. I needed small and light (putting it in a rocket)

anyway the video is no where near as nice as my Sanyo HD1 but its quite usable and even the low light action is fine I noticed no problems.

NOW I may be off base here but most of the problems I am hearing sound less like camera problems (direct) and more like ENCODER issues on the PC when you make the DVD.

the 178 has some FUNKY codec (I HATE IT when manufacs do this crap can they not comprehend using STANDARDIZED crap)

I think most of the pixelated dvd encodes are a result of either improper or lacking codecs to convert the video or just a nasty mpgII encoder in the dvd authoring program.

Where can I get codecs to properly play the raw video VLC plays the video but not the audio MEDIA players plays the audio but not the video. Grrrrr.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:04 AM   #237

the jazz hdv-178 outputs h.264 Mpeg-4 AVC video with adpcm audio within a AVI container Not "FUNKY" stuff at all quite standard codecs, its just not packed within the AVI container correctly so they will often play incorrectly in most players unless the videos are fixed.

the avi container format was never really made to support the large number of codecs that are used now, up until a while ago support for h264/x264 content was not supported.

being packed incorrectly within the avi witch can exhibit different effects such as it seeming out of sync playing at different rates or audio not playing at all or not playing untill after the video has just about finished ; the effect can be seen from the avis made by the jazz 178.
just run them through virtualdubmod using Direct Stream Copy mode or rencode it to another format as needed and the output avi will play and work perfectly.

personally ill take a slightly borked avi over a MOV/mp4 file any day.
blackboxwlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:03 AM   #238

As long as I see a thumbnail ofwht I filmed am happy not just a icon of a player

blackboxwlan wrote:
Quote:
the jazz hdv-178 outputs h.264 Mpeg-4 AVC video with adpcm audio within a AVI container Not "FUNKY" stuff at all quite standard codecs, its just not packed within the AVI container correctly so they will often play incorrectly in most players unless the videos are fixed.

the avi container format was never really made to support the large number of codecs that are used now, up until a while ago support for h264/x264 content was not supported.

being packed incorrectly within the avi witch can exhibit different effects such as it seeming out of sync playing at different rates or audio not playing at all or not playing untill after the video has just about finished ; the effect can be seen from the avis made by the jazz 178.
just run them through virtualdubmod using Direct Stream Copy mode or rencode it to another format as needed and the output avi will play and work perfectly.

personally ill take a slightly borked avi over a MOV/mp4 file any day.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:09 AM   #239

are there any firmware upgrades availible?
fanSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2008, 9:23 AM   #240

fanSte wrote:
Quote:
are there any firmware upgrades availible?
Unlikely since they no longer have a support section on their wesbsite. We should be thankful that at least the Jazz camera doesn't have any serious bugs!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote