Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:24 PM   #21

Bobcat isgoing to post when he picks it up . we only have the 178 here. possably I'll add to the title when he posts up.

RGVCAM yes 8 hours is overkill, gues it puts the battery through a test?

Yes the camera will be warm to the touch, and also be very warm when recording for long periods.

I do not like when you do notsee the battery life while recording, like the sanyo. I do not like it when you are at full and no countdown, sanyo does that. Up to 2 hours and average 90 minutes , .

The low light video have you viewed it, and seen the difference, not much?

Here is something that you may want to check the firmware:

how to do so while hitting the playback and also pushing up on the zoom once you see the fonts you have to let go only on the zoom and keep holding the playback. tricky LMAO

Generic

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 2:41 PM   #22

Cant get the 188 or clones in the uk only from germany at the moment but it seems they will be in the uk by the end of april the easypix hd is 117 euros in germany
podger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:19 PM   #23

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Here is something that you may want to check the firmware:

how to do so while hitting the playback and also pushing up on the zoom once you see the fonts you have to let go only on the zoom and keep holding the playback. tricky LMAO
You'll have to expand on how to do this, as I am not sure I am doing this right. When you say press playback do you mean in playback mode or video taking mode because the zoom only operates in video taking mode which I see on your sample photo. In playback mode it operates the volume. Like I say, I may not be understanding you as I have tried many combinations and still can't get the firmware to display!

Oh I tried the HDMI lead on my small HDTV and it works fine as it should do.

Oh the manual is wrong on the VGA video mode. It's only 1.8Mbps ie HALF of what it says in the manual unfortunately. While the video is not bad, I wondered why it didn't look better than it should for a supposed 3.6Mbps!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:52 PM   #24

sorry. it is a combo deal found by trial and error. you turn on camera. hold playback and then push up thezoom. that is it you get t wo screens thisis the other

Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:28 PM   #25

Just so we are on the same page, the playback button being the large video record button surrounded by the LED right?

I noticed that you can really see the limitation of the 4Mbps video where the background is mostly green vegetation :lol: otherwise it's fine.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:39 PM   #26

nope that is the record lowest button, hold and push up on zoom then if you need to see other info next or previous. I fooled around got it.

the video andcolor yes, I think it is vivid, maybe adjusting sharpness, but who knows. I am sure wewill ahve that Yellowschool bus lines i totally forgot the nake argithium (spell me)

Answer me thiswhen camcorder is on nothingtouched how does your wide and telephoto look like is it there, and after you zoom it shows up
Old Apr 20, 2008, 8:48 PM   #27

That 22Khz audio sampling pretty much gives the Aiptek the advantage as the Aipteks boast a higher sampling rate.

Private Idaho

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics,

Here is some supplemental information. After downloading those clips, I ran them through GSpot:
**** http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
to get information about codecs, bitrates, quality, etc...

Here is the results for the first sample (Dave Matthews great solo performance):

Video: H.264 (MPEG4 AVC)
Audio: ADPCM (uncompressed, 22050Hz, Mono)

It is 1280x720, 30fps displayed 16:9 with a bitrate of about 4Mbps.* The (relative) encoding quality is 0.150.

The ~22kHz audio sampling rate will remove a lot of high-frequency noise that you would hear in 44.1k and above. That can account for the clarity in the lower frequencies that people are hearing.

I played the clips back in Windows Media Player (with ffdshow) and in PowerDVD (set to play without ffdshow). This Jazz creates a slightly better quality video than the Xacti HD1A I am returning. When you were zoomed out, there were some encoding artifacts based on the complexity of the scene, but when you zoomed in on the TV, the picture was much better.

I'm interested in seeing the low-light sample. They should be pretty good.

For the price and size, that is a good looking camcorder!

-Scott
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:43 AM   #28

Private Idaho,

The 44kHz sampling rate does indeed give the Aipteks an advantage in frequency reproduction. The frequencies at the higher end of human hearing can be recorded.

With 22kHz, audio may sound a little muffled due to the elimination of the higher frequencies but has the side effect or removing white noise. Of course, noise reduction is better left to post-processing. But for 'off the hip' recording with this class of camcorder, it can still be acceptable as it will capture conversation and narration without problems.

-Scott
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:54 AM   #29

I purchased the HDV188 at Walmart and charged it for about 2 hours and the red LED went from blinking to a solid red state indicating full charge. I've made a few short HD recordings and I have to say I'm impressed with this little $150 wonder! I'll list some of my early observations.

1. It seems to record best without the image stabilization on. When it is on, the motion of the recorded video is not as fluid as it is when it is off.

2. I'm quite happy with the video quality considering this is a very low cost cam. Even in an poorly lighted room the picture is as good or better than my DV cams can produce.

3. You cannot record while you are connected to a HD TV with the HDMI cable, but you can monitor what the lens is viewing, and it appears that the cam does not shut down after three minutes of inactivity when you are connected this way as I thought it might. This is a big plus, as you can use the cam as a HD security video camera if you wish.

4. {Post edit, I spoke to early on this one, you can make settings changes in MediaConverter, also when playing back the video clip that was not re-encoded using the HDMI cable to the HD TV I noticed artifacts that I did not notice when viewing on the cam itself, I'll have to do more testing on this one} I tried out the MediaConverter software to see how well it worked at converting a music video file I had and was disappointed with the lack of options for making any changes to the file it outputs. Your locked into having the video resolution being 640x480, and the audio sampled at 96Kbps stereo. The good news is that the output file is XviD for the video, and the audio is MP3. This means that the cam not only can decompress the H.264 codec, but can also decompress the XviD codec as well. Also the audio does not have to be in the ADPCM codec with a sampling rate of 22.05 mono, but can be MP3 stereo. I then ran a test with a high quality music video that I had downloaded from Stage6 that is an XviD file with a resolution of 720x400, and a video bitrate of 3605Kbps. The audio of that clip is MP3 stereo sampled at 48KHz and an audio bitrate of 192Kbps. I transferred that clip unmodified (not re-encoded) to the SD card and played it on the Jazz Elite HDV188, and it played just fine, with stereo audio out the headphone jack. This leads me to think this unit has great possibilities as a PMP (personal media player) with HDMI output to a HD TV no less!

5. Then I tried to see if I could use the "PC Camera Mode" to view the live video on the PC. I worked with the MediaImpression software with the setting for a webcam, this worked well. I then tried it using the free audio/video editing program Virtualdub in the "Capture AVI" tool of that program. This worked well also with the limitation that the video cannot be larger than 640x480, and the audio is captured from my laptops built in microphone, (you could also use a headset microphone, or a plugged in mic). I then did a real-time capture (recording) to my laptops hard drive using the DivX codec with a bitrate of 1000Kbps and the resulting video looks very good when playing it back on the computer.

6. I loaded up a couple of MP3 audio files and they played fine, but the unit does not have a shuffle mode, and does not support album art, so I think I'll leave my Mp3 playback duties to my ZEN.

These are just my first few hours observations, and I'll be digging deeper into the unit in the next few days.

bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 4:11 AM   #30

could you post the hd recordings thanks
podger is offline   Reply With Quote