Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:18 PM   #41

Hey podger, fellow countryman here (UK) could you tell me where you ordered your easypix clone from? What is the model number so I can check it out, price etc.

It looks to me like it actually has better image clarity than the Aipteks, despite the higher number of artefacts.

Cheers,
tinstar
tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:27 PM   #42

Ha, re: previous post - we must've posted the same question to the same person at the same time lol...

tinstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:28 PM   #43

I think it's amazing that you can now get a true 5MP video camera with HD for $99 that isn't actually that bad!

I have also noticed that on close inspection it does seem a little more pixellated at times than the Aiptek and there does seem to be a bit of hesitation off the image on panning, but nothing to make me return me it.

This will make an ideal beach camera since for $99 you won't get upset if it gets ruined by sand or ends up in the surf :blah:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:29 PM   #44

tinstar wrote:
Quote:
Ha, re: previous post - we must've posted the same question to the same person at the same time lol...

haha yeah. Well you know what they say? Great minds think alike! or was it fools seldom differ? :?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:33 PM   #45

Ok my two sample videos on vimeo finally got converted.

This one shows the digital zoom in action.:

http://www.vimeo.com/925816

As you can see, the digital zoom is quite usable.

The second one is a general panning shot with vegetation which is generally harder on low compression devices like this:

http://www.vimeo.com/925838

and of course, if you are a vimeo member, you can download the originals for a better look.

Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:34 PM   #46

I think its too early to tell if the two units have totally the same spec's, they do on paper. The only difference I see is the HDV178 has a 2.4 inch 4:3 standard aspect ratio screen, and the HDV188 has a 3 inch 16:9 aspect ratio widescreen. As to the quality of the HD video the cams record, I see less artifacting with the HDV188. I base this on viewing fishycomics HDV178 outdoor clips and the one I have linked tousing the HDV188. If your going to compare clips make sure you download both as the one I have on viemo is re-compressed withFlash unless you actually download it. Now, I may be totally wrong about this, like I sayits too early to really tell.
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:43 PM   #47

rgvcam, I'm getting a "This video has been protected" message when trying to view your videos, could you change your Privicy settings so we can view them, thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 7:54 PM   #48

bobcat56458 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam, I'm getting a "This video has been protected" message when trying to view your videos, could you change your Privicy settings so we can view them, thanks.
Sorry about that. You should be able to view them now. I have had this happen several times before and I NEVER set the privacy flag. I thought maybe there was a setting that automatically set it but I can't find it and it doesn't happen all the time anyway.

You have to be careful when comparing artifacting between cameras that you are comparing the same subject as the scene complexity can skew the results. If the scene is complex as in vegetation and/or noisy as in low light video then there are more likely to be artifacts. I guess the only way to know is if you bought both models to try out!

It's possible that the HDV188 has the better compression engine but I would find it unlikely considering the two are so near in price which would suggest they are charging a premium principally for the LCD.

Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:03 PM   #49

scorbing:

I got the 188 from Walmart for $99.84 by mistake because they had both models together with the lower price attached so I lucked out...

I don't think I would have bought the 178 however I am very pleased with the 188 at the price I got it at. The screen is awesome!

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2008, 8:15 PM   #50

rgvcam, after watching your downloaded panning video clip I'ed have to say the HD quality of the two different cams is the same.