Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2008, 3:21 AM   #51

I ordered my 188 clone from ebay because i tried to order from shoxx in germany £117.00 inc post and packing but had hassle because they wanted to be paid bya bankers order which made it expensive bough it from a company called technocrazy babe £135 inc post and packing as you can see we pay a lot more over here
podger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:54 AM   #52

the flower pic of RGV.... guessing you used the macro setting since all was blurred behind it? a lil detail thank you .

The two clips, watched, thank you.

I have held theunit for awhile now,and depending on th hold, I must be carefill with the battery door, it will slide down. Not a solid locking door if the companies, not Just Lazz but all, should place a slide that locks it , I be very happy. the Aiptek, MPVr style and A-HD style slides off the same easily hands can apply wrong pressure causing this.

What I may do for my macro/infinity switch, since it is not a solid, and strong holding switch, I have found a piece of plastic that will fit in there, that will lock it in place, I can live without a 20 inc, etc range,andalways wait till mod plastic slips out or I take out again.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/fishy...ht-daysho.aspx

the above link is my night/day video. will wait for vimeo when I have storage space again, even though the site is a hd place if mentioned, I am very pleased with its video.

So are we havingfun yet? i think those who want in on Hi-def, and their Pcs cannot handle the Aipteks this is by far the best way 844 mhz, rather the 2.0, or 3.0 that I say, thank you Jazz

just wish their site was up so I can ask for a Firmware forfonts. LOL may just have to seeits 188 cousen if the walmart has it, sold out or not stocked by me. this was the last one on the shelf................
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:55 AM   #53

Some of us know that, looking at the Aipteks features, for example

menu/ resolution white balance EV esposure self timer those settings.

They are in ONE area under ONE section.

We go to set WHute balance back on the orginal models tehy would not apply, and we were then finding out they DID apply afterwards.

The better models of Aiptek still keep under one area, while Jazz has it in the section under video all what the cam can do, camera what the camera can do and effects a combonation of what the hybrid will do.

Rather guess, I think Jazz may have a better way of keeping together their features, but lack the font size.

just an observation

Guess I am on a look out fora Cap for the lens, I already know the carrying bag is a great one, and my cellphone pouch fits the camera. that is small. thankx
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:31 AM   #54

Fishycomics, yes that was a macro done with the Jazz camera. I find doing macros with a fixed focus device can be a little bit hit and miss unlike with a regular autofocus camera. Seems you have to be exactly the right distance and take several photos. The LCD can make an image look ok, only to be blurry when viewed fullsize on the PC. My little Minolta is far better for doing macro photography

The battery cover came off once for me as well but it does seem a little more secure than my Aiptek MPVR which comes off more easily, such as pulling out of a case. I was also wondering about how loose the macro switch seems to be. I guess to be fair, for $99, these niggles are to be expected considering that even more expensive devices often have them too.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:53 AM   #55

ok guys, my HD clip from the 188 is now on Vimeo as well...

http://www.vimeo.com/926270

And yes, the macro that causes the "blurring of the background" is a HUGE asset as this is called "lack of depth of field" and what film cameras are known for...

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:32 AM   #56

Great shots.

the macro is an issue for me. I find it now becoming , the first thingto set when filming. Just did 5 shots, and found macro on while needed infinity. so a peice of plasti cmay go in again.

Also We deffently have a noise issue click , click Crossbaytv's video deffently confirms it/

i am going to be placing up some video on livevideo with sharpness samples from the bottom to the highest until vimeo and me get the space I'll load to there.

Corrected my post due to thinking a noise of zoom????
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:47 AM   #57

Fishy:

Thanks for the kind words :-) but again, that clip you are referring to had no zoom in it. That was done with hand movement by moving my arm in and out to create a zoom look as well as to test the focal point of the macro in the cam. What you hear is my pushing a couple of the buttons while in record mode.

Jay
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:50 AM   #58

Hi everyone,

I purchased this cam last night. I almost got the 188 for the same price (since they were both on the shelve for $99.84), but the clerk denied it and refused to sell it at that price. So, I ended up with the 178 instead. I haven't had much time to test it, but it looks to be interesting.

I seem to have located one flaw with its white balance/exposure settings. Even if I manually set the white balance, the camera will behave strangely. For example, if I film the floor of a room, colors will almost be blown out. If I angle up to the light source, colors will be far more subdued (even desaturated). If I angle back down, it'll remain desaturated. I'll test more to see how extensive this issue is.

I like some functions of the unit better than my Aiptek A-HD and some worse. More testing will confirm problems. The sound will likely be just as bad as the A-HD due to the crappy mic and mic position on both. I like the inclusion of "Image Stabilization" though I haven't tested it much yet (both for efficacy and for image degradation).

So far - it is a very small unit, can easily fit into a pocket or a purse. The LED light, while not super bright, is a cool addition. I don't like the SD card being exposed on the bottom without a door. The crappy fixed focus switch on the side is loose (and fixed focus is a mixed bag). "Sharpness" has a huge effect on grain of the picture (lessen sharpness for night shots). Image wobble is present, though seems far less than with the Aiptek. The image overall seems grainier and less detailed, but again, I'll test more. The 8x zoom is practically worthless as the image becomes pretty terrible pretty quick.

I'm curious if I should return this and save up for an Action HD (or A-HD+) or hold onto it. My current A-HD has a pretty serious cmos sensor issue (left side of frame has green tint, right side has purple tint), and I'm going to try to send it in... but it leaves me wary of Aiptek.
petehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:54 AM   #59

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
ok guys, my HD clip from the 188 is now on Vimeo as well...

http://www.vimeo.com/926270

And yes, the macro that causes the "blurring of the background" is a HUGE asset as this is called "lack of depth of field" and what film cameras are known for...

Jay
You are right. I think I gave the impression in my post that I was trying to get the whole image in focus when I was just on about the subject itself.

Very nice video. This shows how these cameras with high compression work much better on scenes that are not as complex like this one. If you film with a background such as a lawn etc you quickly see the limitations of the low bitrate.

That's why these cameras are much more useful for family use (which I think is where these cameras are aimed at) than for say wildlife videography.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:15 PM   #60

petehammer:

I ended up with the 188 for the $99.84 due to the same issue as you but I knew the clerk and they forced an override to allow the lower price . Too bad you didn't force the issue at the time. Do you have another Walmart locally that you could try again?

I am very happy with this little cam for $100. I was waiting for my local Walmart to get an Action HD in stock but since I was able to score this little baby for this price, I am not interested in the Aiptek now.

FYI: I have found the sweet spot on the sharpness to be in the middle or slightly below middle.

Also, second HD clip in Vimeo should be up by now: http://www.vimeo.com/928582

Jay