Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:26 AM   #61

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
FYI: I have found the sweet spot on the sharpness to be in the middle or slightly below middle.
Thanks for that tip. I've been curious what a good range would be for that. What are the differences between the 178 and 188 besides screen size? I don't really care that much about the larger screen. If there were more substantive differences (better lens, etc) then I'd try. The 178 I bought was the last one left and there was only one 188. I thought the clerk would do it because she couldn't reach any manager... but then she eventually (we're talking 10 minutes) looks carefully at the packaging and said that the $99.84 price was only for the 178. Oh well.

Coosbaytv? Does that mean Coos Bay, Oregon? I'm in Eugene and went to the W. 11th Walmart. There are other Walmarts (in Springfield), but it is a pain to drive around.
petehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:27 PM   #62

I hope all do not mind if I clean up the top post to have photos anda better review like the Aiptek, I will be editing for the better, not worse LOL thanks If I do have the time and can find a 188 i may just opt for one LMAO why you tell me?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:39 PM   #63

Yeah Pete, I am in Coos Bay Oregon and I am building coosbaytv as my brand.

small world!

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:07 PM   #64

http://www.livevideo.com/video/fishy...sample-vi.aspx

Above Link is a sample of All Nine Sharp settings.

I did not allow the camera to adjust on the start up, causing the Purple, if I taken a few secs longer , would have been clear, I already was filming in macro, and wasted 10 clips LOL Enjoy the scenerios thank you
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:45 PM   #65

Hey Fishy...

PLEASE tell me what the difference is between the HDV-178 and the HDV-188?

Is the HDV-188 worth the extra $49.00? The HDV-178 is $99.00 while the HDV-188 is $149.00 at Walmart.

How about the audio? Is it better than Aiptek or is it just as crappy?

Your input is valuable as I am ready to buy one tonight, depending on what your input is on my questions.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:53 PM   #66

Hello all, I'm James, and new to the group.

Very nice thread with good info regarding the HDV178/188 camera.

So, i guess, from what I have read, the consensus on this camera is that it is a decent buy, correct?

Again, I am looking to get one, but I just wanted to make sure that is was indeed a better than average camera (from the feedback it seems that it is) and not just targeted for the teenage group.

Any yay or nay as to whether or not this should be bought with the intent of just taking some nice, clean moderate to high quality personal vids would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Docmundy
docmundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:29 PM   #67

Welcome Scorbing.

I Only own the 178, hadnot known, or seen the 188, cannot finda working link to read one or find it

one of our members, (sorry if I cannot remember names, when new members come in clusters LOL) got the188, and he is very pleased so far. only thing he said was that the fonts were bigger in ways. and the screen is 16:9 ratio. I have a 2.4, a 2.7, and wonder if .6 will make it better. I like a wider screen but preferre a smaller model. I am sure there are a few extras like lyrics on mp3 but no eq random stuff on it.

I have my likes and dislikes, and there are some, the sound is good you get sharpness and other added features, body 178 small 178 not sure if iti s the same size as the A-HD or MPVr. If it is the same size as the 178 iam in for one.

Battery door macro switch are my least worrys. qquality, works well for me owning many models, I think I can say this

it reminds me of the Aiptek IS-DV in a better format (video res)

I am sure this price is going to be around give Aiptek the run for their $$

It is a keepras a basic low end Hi def Model, if you are goingto think this is a canon HV30 no comment.

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Hey Fishy...

PLEASE tell me what the difference is between the HDV-178 and the HDV-188?

Is the HDV-188 worth the extra $49.00? The HDV-178 is $99.00 while the HDV-188 is $149.00 at Walmart.

How about the audio? Is it better than Aiptek or is it just as crappy?

Your input is valuable as I am ready to buy one tonight, depending on what your input is on my questions.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 2:43 PM   #68

Welcome Doc.

Shopping for a Hi def in a store I only see the Aipteks, mostly, sanyo dxg, polaroid, and maybe another one or two price range 50-300.00

Stumbled apon this from RVCAM, and Sfritzinger request.We can say 99.99 is the all time low, besides a rebate one.

Better then average, if comparing to DXG 305/506, Aiptek MPvr pvr mustek dv3500 etc those models to this one ofcourse this will be the better model.

But if you are gonnacompare it to the canon HV30, it will lose.

if to the Aiptek hd models I can say the Aiptek may just be a lil better in video in ways. but cannot put my finger on it yet the Aiptek ofcourse has a 1.5 sec start up time while 5 secs on the Jazz no shutting off the Intro ( hint missing option my dislike)

color of the Jazz sweet. color on the Aipteks Nice. and that is where you have to decide..

178 or 188

teenager, or adult, I am sure as either I have no complaints. I give this to thekids ina heartbeat, and the 188 to an adult with sore eyes.

docmundy wrote:
Quote:
Hello all, I'm James, and new to the group.

Very nice thread with good info regarding the HDV178/188 camera.

So, i guess, from what I have read, the consensus on this camera is that it is a decent buy, correct?

Again, I am looking to get one, but I just wanted to make sure that is was indeed a better than average camera (from the feedback it seems that it is) and not just targeted for the teenage group.

Any yay or nay as to whether or not this should be bought with the intent of just taking some nice, clean moderate to high quality personal vids would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Docmundy
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:06 PM   #69

scorbing, docmundy,

bobcat56458 has the HDV188 and he said that they appear to have the same video output and I did say that I would doubt the compression would be different given that they are so near in price. If there are any differences at all, it would appear that they would be almost unnoticable and not worth spending an extra $50 unless of course you think the bigger LCD is worth it as well.

Personally I think $99 is a great price and I don't see the point of paying an extra 50% premium to get the bigger LCD screen although I will admit that they could've used bigger fonts!

The audio seems to be fine at least to my ears. I tried an Aiptek GO-HD once and had to send it back twice because of the constant low level noise. This camera, so far as I can tell doesn't have that artifact.

Remember not to compare this camera with the Sanyo HD cameras as that is unfair, although I have to say, videowise, this camera has nothing to be ashamed off for its price so far. Also it's not a bad 5MP photo camera either.

Low light ability is not bad either although it does suffer from noise but that's to be expected from a small 5MP CMOS sensor. Again for it's price it ain't terrible.

All in all, I think I may have stumbled upon a little gem.

In the cost vs video quality comparison between the Sanyo HD700 (cheapest Sanyo HD) and the HDV178, the HDV178 wins simply because the HD700 is at least 4 TIMES the cost at its regular price, yet the video is not even 3 times as good.

Having said that, the Sanyo HD700 video is more detailed because the bitrate is over twice that of the HDV178, but if you use the HDV178 on less complex scenes like family, kids and in buildings etc. the advantage isn't so great.

Does the HDV178 have some little niggles? Sure it does. As mention in the thread, the macro switch is a bit loose and the battery cover could be tighter but even expensive devices have their problems, you only have to look in the Sanyo forum to see that, especially on the HD700 I tried.

It all depends on your level of acceptibility. For some, only the best will do, regardless of cost, but for others, cost is an issue. Of course no one wants a terrible device even if it costs $50 but part of the fun in this forum is seeing if we can find the best combination of device cost and quality. With this camera it looks like we finally broke the $100 barrier which is remarkable considering the old VGA Aiptek MPVR I have is still being sold for more than this is some places!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:18 PM   #70

Cool. I think I will give it a try. I bought an Aiptek A-HD and returned it the next day because of the terrible audio. I mean it was a nightmare. Got another one and the same thing so I gave up on it. The video on the Aiptek wasn't bad but it wasn't that good either. We'll see if this one hits the spot. Thanks for your input.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
scorbing, docmundy,

bobcat56458 has the HDV188 and he said that they appear to have the same video output and I did say that I would doubt the compression would be different given that they are so near in price. If there are any differences at all, it would appear that they would be almost unnoticable and not worth spending an extra $50 unless of course you think the bigger LCD is worth it as well.

Personally I think $99 is a great price and I don't see the point of paying an extra 50% premium to get the bigger LCD screen although I will admit that they could've used bigger fonts!

The audio seems to be fine at least to my ears. I tried an Aiptek GO-HD once and had to send it back twice because of the constant low level noise. This camera, so far as I can tell doesn't have that artifact.

Remember not to compare this camera with the Sanyo HD cameras as that is unfair, although I have to say, videowise, this camera has nothing to be ashamed off for its price so far. Also it's not a bad 5MP photo camera either.

Low light ability is not bad either although it does suffer from noise but that's to be expected from a small 5MP CMOS sensor. Again for it's price it ain't terrible.

All in all, I think I may have stumbled upon a little gem.

In the cost vs video quality comparison between the Sanyo HD700 (cheapest Sanyo HD) and the HDV178, the HDV178 wins simply because the HD700 is at least 4 TIMES the cost at its regular price, yet the video is not even 3 times as good.

Having said that, the Sanyo HD700 video is more detailed because the bitrate is over twice that of the HDV178, but if you use the HDV178 on less complex scenes like family, kids and in buildings etc. the advantage isn't so great.

Does the HDV178 have some little niggles? Sure it does. As mention in the thread, the macro switch is a bit loose and the battery cover could be tighter but even expensive devices have their problems, you only have to look in the Sanyo forum to see that, especially on the HD700 I tried.

It all depends on your level of acceptibility. For some, only the best will do, regardless of cost, but for others, cost is an issue. Of course no one wants a terrible device even if it costs $50 but part of the fun in this forum is seeing if we can find the best combination of device cost and quality. With this camera it looks like we finally broke the $100 barrier which is remarkable considering the old VGA Aiptek MPVR I have is still being sold for more than this is some places!
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote