Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:25 PM   #71

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Cool. I think I will give it a try. I bought an Aiptek A-HD and returned it the next day because of the terrible audio. I mean it was a nightmare. Got another one and the same thing so I gave up on it. The video on the Aiptek wasn't bad but it wasn't that good either. We'll see if this one hits the spot. Thanks for your input.
Yes I don't know why they don't fix the audio. Having said that, I have to be honest, if you didn't like the video on the A-HD then you may not be happy with the video on this device since it's certainly not better than the A-HD from what I can tell.

Have you had a look at the video clips in this thread? If you sign up for a vimeo account, you can even download our original clips to see the actual video quality for yourself before you buy.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:46 PM   #72

Correct only adirect download will help.

Any edited video clip and uploaded to a flash player degrades.

videlive should be HD

vimeo HD

youtube becomingsoon a beter site
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 4:56 PM   #73

Hello All...

Once again, very nice info, I sincerely appreciate it.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to hdcam side of the playground.

I think I will sink the hundred into the basic and see what kind of trouble we can get into with it. Frankly, most of the stuff I will be filming will be outside along the Maine coast, and, while I have a regular camera that takes "good" video, it would be nice to have something with a little extra "oomph", especially if and when I film in the very late evening.

having seen some of the nights shots taken (fishy took those, I think, and if I'm wrong, then my apologies to the person who did... I don't want any bad HD-karma, ya know) I think the camera did a very nice job.

And, besides, if all else fails, i can always return it, or give it to the starving college student who is my son. Although I get chills thinking what my stepson would film and whether or not it would be allowed on youtube. I digress.

Anyway, I look forward to giving some feed back to the forum.

Thanks a ton for the info and I'll see you out and about... camera(s) in hand!

Docmundy
docmundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 5:23 PM   #74

Can't wait for your review report on the camera. Bring it on!

docmundy wrote:
Quote:
Hello All...

Once again, very nice info, I sincerely appreciate it.

Admittedly, I am a bit of a neophyte when it comes to hdcam side of the playground.

I think I will sink the hundred into the basic and see what kind of trouble we can get into with it. Frankly, most of the stuff I will be filming will be outside along the Maine coast, and, while I have a regular camera that takes "good" video, it would be nice to have something with a little extra "oomph", especially if and when I film in the very late evening.

having seen some of the nights shots taken (fishy took those, I think, and if I'm wrong, then my apologies to the person who did... I don't want any bad HD-karma, ya know) I think the camera did a very nice job.

And, besides, if all else fails, i can always return it, or give it to the starving college student who is my son. Although I get chills thinking what my stepson would film and whether or not it would be allowed on youtube. I digress.

Anyway, I look forward to giving some feed back to the forum.

Thanks a ton for the info and I'll see you out and about... camera(s) in hand!

Docmundy
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:55 PM   #75

I put 3 more videos on vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/user315487/videos

probably better to be a member and download the originals to get a better representation as the conversion tends to make them look a little more blurry than they are. In fact the complex scene one looks terrible compared to original.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 8:39 PM   #76

I'll give you a suggestion, why don't you upload the original videos to Rapidshare or Mediafire so we can get them and see?

www.rapidshare.com

www.mediafire.com

Thanks!

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I put 3 more videos on vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/user315487/videos

probably better to be a member and download the originals to get a better representation as the conversion tends to make them look a little more blurry than they are. In fact the complex scene one looks terrible compared to original.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:50 PM   #77

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
scorbing:

I got the 188 from Walmart for $99.84 by mistake because they had both models together with the lower price attached so I lucked out...

I don't think I would have bought the 178 however I am very pleased with the 188 at the price I got it at. The screen is awesome!

Jay
You are going to laugh about this. I just went to Walmart to get the camera and the 188 was on the rack where the 178 is supposed to be and guess what? - I just got the 188 for $99.00 too!!!!!!...........LOL....This is so funny.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:09 PM   #78

As I mentioned in an earlier post of this thread on page 2 under number 4. of my observations, I was having problems converting a TV show, or movie, and uploading it to the HDV188 and having artifacts when attempting to do so. I was also having issues with the MP3 soundtrack having a gargling sound when playing the clip back using the HDMI cable to the HD TV. The soundtrack sounded just fine when listening to it with headphones connected to the HDV188, but sounded bad when using the HDMI cable to the HD TV. After much testing and trying to convert the original external video/audio using other programs. I focused my efforts to doing the re-encoding using the supplied MediaConverter software. I found that using a Video Bitrate of 3.0Mbps gave me an Xvid re-encoded file that looked OK or better. I than explored ways to get the soundtrack sounding better when played on the HD TV through the HDMI cable. Again after much testing I came to the conclusion that the audio has to have a sample rate of 44.1KHz. The sad part was there was no setting in MediaConverter for this sample rate! I then poked around the ArcSoft program folder and found in the folder "Profiles", and in the subfolder "Zoran", the file "Coach.dpr". I opened it using Notepad, and noticed under [MPEG-4AVI], a listing of the Audio Sample Rates. I first backed up this file to another location, and then proceeded to edit the text file, adding the 44.1KHz sample rate to the profile file. I then saved the modified profile file to its original location. I then started the MediaConverter software and took a look if the 44.1 sample rate was showing up as an option. It was not, so I did a search of the hard drive to see if there were any more instances of the file "Coach.dpr". I found another one located at, "C:\Users\junior\AppData\Roaming\Arcsoft\ArcSoft MediaConverter\2.5.0\Profiles\Zoran\Coach.dpr", (junior, being the name of this computer). I also backed up this one, and then modified it as I did with the other one, and saved it to its original location. This time when I started MediaConverter the 44.1 sample rate showed up as an option! Now the re-encoded external music video sounded great through the HDMI cable to the HD TV. Also within the "Coach.dpr" profile file are settings for the video Bitrate. Next I'm going to try modifying them to see if I can raise the maxim video Bitrate from 3.0Mbps, to 4.0Mbps. If this works I will get even better video quality when re-encoding videos. At this point I've re-encoded a HD Music Video I had downloaded, and was able to keep its HD resolution of 1240x720, and it played back fine from the HDV188 to the HD TV using the HDMI cable! Granted the clip lost some of its quality by re-encoding it, but if I'm able to up the video Bitrate to 4.0Mbps it should look pretty darn good. In conclusion, I now feel I have a $150 HD PMP that fits in the palm of my hand, not to mention also a HD camcorder!
bobcat56458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:17 PM   #79

OK, this getting the 188 for the 178 price.... one person, lucky... two, conspiracy!!!

THAT aside, RGV (Where in the Valley are you? My wife is down in Harlingen. Small world. Ok... back to my question...) When you shot the videos of the pan and the digital zoom, did you have the camera set to stabilize?

I thought the quality of the macro shot was quite nice and the color was crisp. The audio was also pretty good (considering it was heard over my laptop speakers with my dishwasher going - I heard a little one in the background, so I think the audio was nice... until that damned valley wind roared across the mic... again, I digress).

I wonder if when the video is posted online if there is a significant loss of quality. During the pan shot, unless i was mistaken, it seemed that there were periods of blurring, not true pixilating, but, not the crisp outline of the trees i would have expected - again this is viewed on my laptop, so maybe I am reading way too much into it.

I think the camera also did well on the "complex" shot.

So, in all what is your take?

I did go out and but one... unfortunately, I was not in on the "hey let's switch the cameras around on the hooks when the dude in the photo department isn't looking" scam (kidding!!! ... or am I ) so I had to drop the full price. Must be because I am the FNG, but that's ok! I have a clean conscience!

I am looking forward to getting this thing up and running. There seems to be a lot of overlap of button function. This may take some time getting used to.

Oh, well, that is the fun of it all.

Ok... I'm done. Gonna read the thread and see if I can pick up some needed pointers while I scan the "instructions".

See you all soon!.

Doc!
docmundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:35 PM   #80

I have to tell you, I just opened the package and the battery has some charge and I tested it a bit and the video on the 188 is VERY nice. Better than the Aiptek. The audio is awesome. I will do some videos tomorrow and upload them to Rapidshare on their original format for you all to see and download.

...I'm beginning to like this!