Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:55 PM   #81

By the way, you don't need the software that comes with the camera to be able to create and/or edit or transfer your videos. I used Cyberlink PowerDirector 6 and it worked perfectly fine. I created a DVD of the small sample video I took when I first opened the camera and it looks awesome. Like I said, tomorrow I am going to do some serious video shooting and post the videos on their original format (straight from the camera) so you guys can see that this camera is way better than the Aiptek.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:21 AM   #82

AVI

Download AVI version
1280x720, 4.22MB

above is the Vimeos sites Direct download no matterwhere you look rapidshare mega etc showing on vimo scroll fown to the right,

the video shown online isnot afull hd it is converted into aflash playerand thisis where somecrisp video becoms likeripples in the ski edges etc.

there are some artifacts that are in the camera at its raw footage and yes teh yare vividness.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:04 AM   #83

docmundy wrote:
Quote:
THAT aside, RGV (Where in the Valley are you? My wife is down in Harlingen. Small world. Ok... back to my question...) When you shot the videos of the pan and the digital zoom, did you have the camera set to stabilize?
Quote:
I live and work just outside Brownsville. No I rarely use the stabilizer on these small cameras. On my Sanyo C40 for instance, I find the stabilizer often tends to make things worse since they have very little mass. Therefore they are more prone to larger jerkier movements which stabilizers don't like.
Quote:
I thought the quality of the macro shot was quite nice and the color was crisp. The audio was also pretty good (considering it was heard over my laptop speakers with my dishwasher going - I heard a little one in the background, so I think the audio was nice... until that damned valley wind roared across the mic... again, I digress).
Quote:
haha yeah that was my 2 year old son. We were in the park play area. As to the wind noise, I have noticed down here that it always seems to be present whenever I want to use my cameras!
Quote:
I wonder if when the video is posted online if there is a significant loss of quality. During the pan shot, unless i was mistaken, it seemed that there were periods of blurring, not true pixilating, but, not the crisp outline of the trees i would have expected - again this is viewed on my laptop, so maybe I am reading way too much into it.
Quote:
Yes the conversion does result in loss of quality when viewed fullscreen. It's not as noticeable when left in embedded mode.
Quote:
I think the camera also did well on the "complex" shot.

So, in all what is your take?
Quote:
I am happy with the camera so far. I guess when it's $99 you tend to be more forgiving, but even so, I think it gives cameras twice the price a run for their money at least. It makes an ideal family camera since you are not afraid to take it with you anywhere.With amuch more expensive camera, I find a tendancy to 'baby' it more.
Quote:
I did go out and but one... unfortunately, I was not in on the "hey let's switch the cameras around on the hooks when the dude in the photo department isn't looking" scam (kidding!!! ... or am I ) so I had to drop the full price. Must be because I am the FNG, but that's ok! I have a clean conscience!
Quote:
Same here. The Walmart I went to had both models clearly marked pricewise so unlikely I'd get away with trying to convince them that I should've got the HDV188 instead for $99 and I have better things to do than try all the other Walmarts to see if one just happens to have mislabelled it!
Quote:
I am looking forward to getting this thing up and running. There seems to be a lot of overlap of button function. This may take some time getting used to.

Oh, well, that is the fun of it all.
Quote:
That's the point of these cameras, to have fun.Most of us arenot trying to be independant film makers although it wouldn't surprise me if one or two on here are considering using it for that purpose!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:09 AM   #84

Ok I have placed a couple of files on rapidshare.com

http://rapidshare.com/files/109799758/Pan.avi.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/109799759/Complex.avi.html
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:29 AM   #85

scorbing: now we can start the "188 for 99" club...

Now, let me clarify my story as there is some misunderstanding.

My local Walmart only had ONE PEG with ONE PRICE tag clearly marked $99.84.

There was no switching, I just made them stick to what they had set up in their merchandise. They obviously didn't check closely to see two different models or prices.

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:41 AM   #86

Well that's the same thing that happened to me last night when I went to Walmart. The 188 was at the Peg where the 178 is supposed to be at and the guy that took care of me obviously didn't know squat about the cameras or the models so he gave it to me for $99.00 because to him they were both the same!

LOL

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
scorbing: now we can start the "188 for 99" club...

Now, let me clarify my story as there is some misunderstanding.

My local Walmart only had ONE PEG with ONE PRICE tag clearly marked $99.84.

There was no switching, I just made them stick to what they had set up in their merchandise. They obviously didn't check closely to see two different models or prices.

Jay
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:25 AM   #87

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Well that's the same thing that happened to me last night when I went to Walmart. The 188 was at the Peg where the 178 is supposed to be at and the guy that took care of me obviously didn't know squat about the cameras or the models so he gave it to me for $99.00 because to him they were both the same!
Yet in the first Walmart I looked in, which started these threads, it was actually a HDV178 on display with a price tag of $149 below it! That was the price I assumed it was until Fishycomcs got one for $99. Unless you examine the packages closely they do look the same at first.

Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:37 AM   #88

LOL...

Anyways, as soon as I get home I am going to go out with the camera and take some shots around and upload them so you guys can see. Also, I will make a DVD of the shots and upload the ISO somewhere so you guys can burn it and look at it on the DVD player so you can see the quality of the video - which I think is great for a cheap camera like this - and better than Aiptek's, which I used to own one (The A-HD). I will try my best to make a DVD ISO small enough for download - less than 200MB.

See you later at night when I get home boys. The review and testing continues....

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Yet in the first Walmart I looked in, which started these threads, it was actually a HDV178 on display with a price tag of $149 below it! That was the price I assumed it was until Fishycomcs got one for $99. Unless you examine the packages closely they do look the same at first.

Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:26 PM   #89

For Me: in Walmart one last cam the correct model on the hanger, uncertain of style at first due to box not showing in big, but small lettering on lower right.

I had no choice butto grab it and hold it till I was certain.

If they had both I am sure The worker would notring up price deduction due to being on a wong hook, as the register, andprice checkers will showa price. but hey no one is saying it can happen, to keep a customer you make them a customer

thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:34 PM   #90

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
LOL...

Anyways, as soon as I get home I am going to go out with the camera and take some shots around and upload them so you guys can see. Also, I will make a DVD of the shots and upload the ISO somewhere so you guys can burn it and look at it on the DVD player so you can see the quality of the video - which I think is great for a cheap camera like this - and better than Aiptek's, which I used to own one (The A-HD). I will try my best to make a DVD ISO small enough for download - less than 200MB.

See you later at night when I get home boys. The review and testing continues....

Great, always interested in how others perceive the strengths and weaknesses of these cameras.

I'm amazed at how much camera you can get for $99 now. My first solid state camera that got me into this was an Aiptek IS-DV which I got at Target for $92 on sale at the time. I was reluctant at first to buy one as
up until the VGA/30fps devices like the IS-DV came out, most were just toys really with poor 320x240 low frame rate video at best. But I wanted something that could be carried with me anywhere so I could capture video of our son as he grew up.

I was pleasantly surprised at the time how good the video was on it considering it was using an SD memory card which at the time were not up to the high capacities we have now.

Sadly I managed to lose it but then it gave me the motivation to get another solid state camera from Aiptek and I haven't been back to tape since