Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2008, 2:26 PM   #1

Jazz HDV178 Hi def 720P camcorder review video Click me
Topic isunder constructionfor descussion. corrections may be needed

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O767PMGXuncertain of format LOL hd or not?
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9AINCGXEthisi s HD 1280x720

Welcome to the review.

Jazz HDV178 retailsunknown sells @99.94
Jazz HDV 188 retails unknown Sells 149.94

Below are Pics of the HDV-178 Model only, you'll see how eligant this unit looks. Very Sleek and rugid. Mic is located with a strong top suport to the rear. Big hands wil be forced to find a new hold for mic. enough flare making it like its name JAZZ HD be neat if it lit up LOL. Battery is a NP-60 1050 MAH. HDMI port (door removed for display) and flash big hands needs to relocate for Portrait Only shooting 3-6 feet max range. Uncovering the battery door is a snug fit battery. Speaker and macro switch on top neatly designed. your tripod and exposed Sd slotat the bottom. All the features and functions located at the rear that you can imagine in a neat layout, a red/green soft led for your rec/charge playback, zooming, you have your Tv output and Usb 2.0 interface and more. a pritty small camera Smaller than a deck of cards, and as thick as a width of gum.

Those who are looking to get away from Quicktime format, and keep to the Windows media video format, AVI, this is the solution. You may notice the difference on quality, and demension. while I believe if reading the box asI go along here:

This is a up to 30 Fps camcorder not saying if it is a 4:3 or 16:9 aspectratio, while viewing the playback on the pc, itshows more like 4:3. ( statistics show1280x740 ), while the video file has H264 codecs, it shows that not only that you are not just locked into quicktime but soon maybe other companies like our well known Aiptek will decide their next step. In the hong Kong Expo, they have their camcorder show, what will that bring us soon in the models to come?

Camera/camcorderhave a Cmos sensor. I preferre a Cmos, over CCD b/c I am mostly low light at my filming. This camera/camcorder has the Ability to shoot at night with a light, and night mode, as an additional option. Did I say light a L.E.D. light on video andPicture. Even though we know the answer about led lights, it is a flash light to some, and most will want more , 3-6 feet is the max on these led lites. With an Addition to lighting and night Mode, lets not forget stabilization, always a great help to help stop shaking. this Unit has Interpolation at 5 meg,and higher 2 meg is the lowest setting, while 5 meg and 11 meg are the only two other options, in video, you have four options.

Voice recorder, Mp3 function, Pc Webcam,andMovie playback, hmm how bout a av input? No not yet. If this Unit had that, I be set but hey so farI have not mentioned the Life of the unit , its battery 2 hours of Live record time on a NP-60 1050 mah li-on, upgrade to a higher capacity, more life. Sd (tapeless) unit with internal memory of 64 meg gets you a few minutes of video, pics, etc, can accept up to 8 gig , giving you 4 hours HD, and at low res up to 16 hours, WOW.

What you get out of the Sealed box, no band aides included, sorry.( careful when opening) You get

A USB hdmi cable, usb, ear buds a pouch batery strap, cd 10 page multi laungagemanual, and charger. Instructions and important info card. see below pics

This is the size of the Unit, very small, and light, no lens cap, and 75% rubber coated, almost think it is water resistant. The downside is the Sd is an open section on the botton, next to the tripod mount, to the rear.(tripod mount) controls are nice. While snapping, it may sound confussing till you learn the camera. The buttons are small, but have a excellent light for vid rec and standby. see below

Using this device may sound simple. a magnifyer, for me is needed. orangeish lettering, while following instructions, place battery on charge, read for 8 hours and get used to the machine, play with the software but do not disturb the battery. tody notrealy needed, Lithiums batteries be careful on themallow to rest between charges 5 minutes.

I already have spares, and just plug and play, easy to learn. Open up 2.4 inch door turns on (3-5 secs)unit manual on/off if like. snap the big rec button, and snap you hear . "hey i snapped a pic" and then you see the cam flash on screen goes on/off, while the record on the back button goes off repeats per sec love that. nice size, but still a little bigger is needed.. the Video record button is big, the Still button is small,simlar sound but you see a hour glass, reminds you of the Pc LOL. Below that, you have the zoom a three way switch like a wheel, with a lever. push up/down, and in zooming and setting, no zooming while recording with stabilization on... Below that you have and hate black on black lettering HD And the icon changes from a cam tp HD so has my vid clip a HD up, or standard Hmmmm (its a quick set button between VGA and HD)So a new Clip will be loaded for certain. the next button is a flash press it 5 times you get flash/ light/auto red eye/forced/ Light on. , now here is a killer

how does a led flash work. pops on steady snap shuts off no burst of power, that means red eyes. nope this bad boy has that as well, but onlyeffective range 3-6ft.the flash is also the camcorder light yep will most likely think the light will pop on/off while filming nope does not.

then the last button will be going through Playback of cam/pic/mp3 movie/settings , forgot to mention the zoom button that gets you a number of features like stabilization and sharpness, resolution, expousure of 3 ev lights white balance and night mode did I mention motion detection nah I thought I did , yep, my first motion detection camcorder Hip hip. Now All I need is a Time elapse one. well that is not on here sorry, but multi snap for multiple inmages fun fotos. backlight shot and almost the same other stuff mentioned above. less the motion dectector

Well last but not least speaker is on the side, Mic on the top rear ,and macro on the side , a switch .

Have to load the software see what it offers Arcsoft media converter, (2.5)impressions, the rest is codecs and acrobat. I am sure it is simple to convert a file to the camera with the software, andI am sure that using the media program be interesting, if it accepts other formats?

THe battery test:

First time battery install 8 hour charge after that machine ac adapter charge runs around 4 hours

sitting down and filming in increments of 5, 10, 15, 30, 1 hour,I am at about 2 hours in and do not see the meter move, oops have to stop to see the battery icon, and it is at FULL, not sure if 2 hours is good for this device on low resolution . If I am filming on high I think I'll have the same amount of time so I can clearly say ATP all test passed, 2 plus hours record time on a single charge WOW. the finalrecording time is 2 hrs no more.( live recording time) give or take

I am sure 90 minutes will be an average time if it is good for you.

recharging on the ac adapter in an area of 4 hours

So now the Fun begins:

further testing of video clips, will be needed, and I am sure all are , and will be asking many questions about the JAZZ. so Please be paitient...............

look for future video samples

Videos:
video" zooming while recording not allowed when stabelization is chosen
macro, and flash enabled

Lowlightindoor comparisonshots
http://vimeo.com/919863click me

Outdoor shot daylight

http://www.livevideo.com/video/fishy...p-samples.aspx

Direct download from megaupload.com

flower bed Hd `macro modemode http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XWJ27VMN

Infinity mode http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IV60YXYQ

As the tests go on

Pics:

pics are pics, always with these economy hybrid, holdstill after you finish the shot, at least 5 secs here.
Macro

Pc Webcam:

Using any provider, you plug in the cam to your pc, allow to be recognised, and the files will pop up that are on the sd or internal card. then Hit Playback, so the cam can again be recognised to load the video caption up. that is it, once it is up you can open your webcam for example yahoo, and go to prefrence and settings and choose vid caption ...

if you do not see it unplug and try again. I am plese to see it, it is like slow motion but hey, something up on AIptek for less $$.

My Conclusion. Owning a number of cams. I can say this is a 99.99 camcorder with a ton of features. First thing we all do we get out of the store, tempting to play with the unit. I am very excited to see such a small device, and am thinking what I can use this for , if it is not the best model. WORK, why? Fits in my pocket like a mp3 player2 hours of run time (testing needed) acts like my MP3/4 player with a cam. Video quick viewing of a sample, 4:3 ratio looks like,and may just be may not be bad but if mentioned I think twice. pictures are to be tested as well as video.

Body style wins me over, not truely happy with plastic but hey, time will wear rubber wears out.

For now you'll see members deciding what models are for them, and best to comment to this topic, any comments good or bad are always welcomed

thank you

Firmware check:

playback, and zoom, hold the playback push up on zoom let go only on zoom. takes a number of tries to do you'll see fonts hit next or previous to next page

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:03 PM   #2

With Avinaptic both clips say 1280x720 about a 4 mbps bitrate. The video encoding does not display AVC though it may be or just regular MPEG-4 like the Sanyos. I didn't think the video encoding looked as good as the A-HD though but the audio was far better.

I was at Fry's the other day and they had bunches of sub $50 SD hybrids, some as low as $30 with 3 mepapixel sensors and the $50 ones with 5 megapixel. I had not seen these brands there before. They didn't have any HD ones though and they usually have the Sanyos including the 1080p model but I didn't see one anywhere.

Though I like playing with these pocket cameras I'm drooling at the prospect of owning a Red Scarlet for less than I paid for my first HD camera the JVC HD1.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:04 PM   #3

Interesting video clips. They seem to have a similar bitrate to the Aiptek. Can you do some outdoor shots too? :-) For $99 this currently makes it the cheapest HD camera so far and a pretty decent one for that price too! On mediainfo it did say they were encoded with h264.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:45 PM   #4

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Interesting video clips. They seem to have a similar bitrate to the Aiptek. Can you do some outdoor shots too? :-) For $99 this currently makes it the cheapest HD camera so far and a pretty decent one for that price too! On mediainfo it did say they were encoded with h264.
RGV.. This cameraI caught on sale, would not make it the least expensive one yet, because the Aiptek dropped down to the same 99.99 back at Christmas time, within that time. We understand it is now the Cheapest camera to be found now, while others are on a regular sale price.
As I will Do the clips of all scenerios, as requested,

1. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=82GU277Ssharpness is at full

2.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=71L2LRXJ Sharpness is off

Thank you for your Comment Rgvcam, and these files are avi format, sorry if i couldnot get any better ones as I am here.

Old Apr 18, 2008, 5:31 PM   #5

I picked one up today, got to say I am pleasantly surprised. Video actually seem to be more crisp and vivid than my A-HD. Also sound is MUCH better. No background noise at all, and it picks up fairly well. Only problem is that it picks up my breathing when I am filming I had some issues trying to figure out why the videos were playing without sound on my computer, but I found I had to go into the ffdshow driver configurator and and turn back on all the audio codecs it supports. For 99 buck, man, it cant be beat. Really dont have anything bad to say about it.Only thing that you have to be careful of is moving around when recording, it can get quite jittery and you start to noticethe video getting fuzzy if you move it real quick. But for normal, everyday recording, its perfect. I like the rubbe feel to it, the size of the 178 is perfect for a pocket, and it seems to hold a charge well. I see on their site they have 2 more models coming out, interesting to see what they are like. Now I just need to figure out how to take the HD video clips and turn them into and HD movie, easily viewed by others on their computers, any ideas or recommendations?
jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 6:08 PM   #6

fishycomics,

Here is some supplemental information. After downloading those clips, I ran them through GSpot:
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
to get information about codecs, bitrates, quality, etc...

Here is the results for the first sample (Dave Matthews great solo performance):

Video: H.264 (MPEG4 AVC)
Audio: ADPCM (uncompressed, 22050Hz, Mono)

It is 1280x720, 30fps displayed 16:9 with a bitrate of about 4Mbps. The (relative) encoding quality is 0.150.

The ~22kHz audio sampling rate will remove a lot of high-frequency noise that you would hear in 44.1k and above. That can account for the clarity in the lower frequencies that people are hearing.

I played the clips back in Windows Media Player (with ffdshow) and in PowerDVD (set to play without ffdshow). This Jazz creates a slightly better quality video than the Xacti HD1A I am returning. When you were zoomed out, there were some encoding artifacts based on the complexity of the scene, but when you zoomed in on the TV, the picture was much better.

I'm interested in seeing the low-light sample. They should be pretty good.

For the price and size, that is a good looking camcorder!

-Scott
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:23 PM   #7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=M7WCHS2Llow light

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DPD0XQXWlowest lite no lite

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1BQJTG37lowest lite lite on

Ireplied with love the device for its size. where andhow did you hear aboutt his, from RGV, for me i did the favourfor Scott above poster,and said what the heck lets see hat RGV found 99 in my pocket with left over room

Thanks Scott for the info I am sure the members will love it. here above are indoor low light downloads I am sure we all want Outdoornightscenes . stay tuned

Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:16 PM   #8

A few questions about the motion detection feature:

How sensitive is it in low light?

Once it is activated and recording begins, does it then reset itself and turn recording off after a time when motion is no longer detected - or is it basically a way to only start recording and thenneeds manual intervention to stop it. Just want to make sure that there are no quirks in howthis featureoperates.

Thanks.

sg333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 8:50 PM   #9

Excellent Question.

Low light my observation 2-5 feet . with day light I would deffently say 10 plus feet. sounds interesting, and you think as soon as you step in front will go on no takes around a sec-3 secs.

"also if you turn it on you can close the lcd screen, but it is ightly covered, and I can see the screen lit is it going to be off at 1mm i think not.
"Also hit the vid record to stop it. ifnot it will keep going
"once it is dectecting motion it starts records to no motion is either heard or found, so I think its infrared. and there is a meter

additional note the Zoom can beset in low light and becomes more effective, but you cut the resolution quality down

sg333 wrote:

Quote:
A few questions about the motion detection feature:

How sensitive is it in low light?

Once it is activated and recording begins, does it then reset itself and turn recording off after a time when motion is no longer detected?

Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:00 PM   #10

Thanks Fishy! I really appreciate thatinfo about the lag time in recordingonce motion is first detected. It looks like it's going to miss capturing those high speed, short duration events, but would probably be OK for other kinds of stuff. Still, would like that lag time to be a bit less.
sg333 is offline   Reply With Quote