Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:28 PM   #1

Fishycomics,

Sorry for starting a third thread. Feel free to merge it with one of the other two.

I just wanted to state that there seems to be a source of confusion with this model. I was at a local Walmart looking for this camera and missed it the first time, until my wife pointed it out wondering how I managed to miss it :lol:

At first I thought it wasn't on sale as I saw it for $149 and thought that maybe it was only on sale in certain areas but then I noticed a second price of $99 next to the second stack. I was wondering why there were two different prices until I noticed that the two models. although identical looking at first, were actually different ie the HDV188 was $149 and the HDV178 was $99. The only difference I could see without opening both packages up was that the HDV188 seemed to have a bigger LCD as well as the fact that it opened differently and looking on the website doesn't reveal any other differences so I see no point in paying the extra $50 since a 2.4" LCD is big enough.

I have it on charge now. It will make an ideal camera for my wife to carry in her purse due to its size. I am not too bothered with the SD card location. In fact I prefer it to the Aiptek which places it under the battery cover, at least on my MPVR anyway. I always prefered the Aiptek IS-DV memory card location.

I am impressed with the accessories that come with this device. It even comes with a decent belt case similar the ones I often buy in Target for my other cameras! I recently bought a 19" HDTV for the bedroom which has HDMI so I will be able to make use of the HDMI cable it comes with.

I'll be sure to post my sample photos and video clips in due course.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:28 PM   #2

Congrad's Rgvcam,

No need to merge the threads, everybody is entitled to their glory., or fame .

the 188 when in Walmart was not there, if it were I would have compared.

Mp3 with lyrics display, upt to 4 gog sd card not 8 gig, avi (xvid)

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:59 PM   #3

Well it's on charge now so I will be putting this camera through it's paces tomorrow. I just had a quick play with this camera while charging and noticed the digital zoom actually seems to be usable unlike my Aiptek. ie it has more in common with my Nokia phone in that it doesn't pixelate. Although optical zooms are always preferable (and I turn off digital zoom on my Sanyo), if you don't have one then a properly implemented digital zoom such as this will do in a pinch.

Also I have to disagree with you Fishy earlier about the cheapest HD camera so far. Seeing as $99 seems to be the actual non sale price, this means it officially is the cheapest HD camera so far since the Aiptek was only $99 as a promotion. Even then I don't remember it being that price down here although I'll admit its possible and I just didn't catch it. I think it was down to $119 at one point though.

Old Apr 19, 2008, 9:42 PM   #4

A bargain it is, so far i cannot locate one online. even on Walmarts site

$99.99 is a price, and marked, did not see a regular price or saleprice

cannot argue with that.

your orginal post you mentioned :

I was in a local branch of Walmart today and notice a small HD (1280x720p) camcorder called the Jazz Elite for $149. I am assuming this is from jazz cameras but their website (http://www.jazzcameras.com) "

:Gglad I went in myself and got one. Mistakes happen. you know what they say about Assume?:G

Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:25 PM   #5

I have to say that playing with the menu, this little gadget seems to have a fuller featureset than an equivalent Aiptek. Lots of options to play with and what did surprise me, was that the video light actually does seem to be useful! While it won't compete with a proper video light, it does seem to light up the immediate area unlike the IS-DV2 that I tested. Remember how the IS-DV2 just barely lit up the center portion of the subject?

Also the low light ability seems quite decent.

I noticed in the manual that it says the 640x480 VGA mode records with a bitrate of 3.6Mbps which is quite a bit higher than the Aiptek and even the Sanyo so it will be interesting to see if the video is actually much better as well.

I have noticed that it has a forgotton the video resolution setting a couple of times ie resetting to VGA when I had set it to D1

As someone else commented, I also noticed that if you move too quickly to the left or right the video seems to jump as well.

Old Apr 20, 2008, 9:12 AM   #6

RGV.....

Low light comparison video will becoming in the hour at the Pinned post if cared to view.

there is a difference on different scenerios, and for sure the Jazz creates Noise, but not like the casio I own, its deffently good not bad.

Between aiptek jazz, it is hard to tell at times LOL.

for features and functions Bigger font wins me over LOl but having all those extras Yep, Jazz is thesure winner here, and guess what The packed in a MP3 player why not AIptek????

Again look for that low light video
Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:06 AM   #7

I have to agree with you on the font thing. They definitely could be bigger!
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:17 PM   #8

Ok here are some random photos I took with the camera. I put them on pbase.com so you can expand them upto fullsize to get a better idea of the quality (or lack thereof!)

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/hdv178

This link may not be permanent but I will probably be adding some more later.

Later on I hope to get around to actually putting up a video clip or two.

Unfortunately one thing I have noticed in the EXIF information, is that it doesn't display the model name unlike Aiptek. I think this was lazy of them but I guess for $99 you can't expect everything.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 6:45 PM   #9

RGVCAM:

Congrats...

Before you get too excited make sure that your Walmart isn't offering the 188 for the $99.84 that I paid. See my posts on the other thread that you stared: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

With the manager's override I got the 188 for that price. This is the only reason I did this was to play with it while I waited on them getting an Aiptek Action HD in stock. Since they have the 30 day return policy I figured what the heck... So glad I did.

My point on this is that you and Fishy say the fonts on screen are too small!!! On a 2.4 inch screen, I'm sure they are. But, on the 3 inch screen, they are great. I still can't believe the clarity of the screen for under a hundred bucks. But that IS THE POINT. IT SHOULD BE $150!!!!! So if you can get the other for the same price, go for it.

Check out my sample video on that thread as well...

Enjoy, Jay

I think this company may just give Aiptek a run for it's money....
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 7:41 PM   #10

The Jazz cam's 22Khz audio recording pretty much rules it out for me.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote