Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:06 AM   #11

Update: The Jazz HDV 188 was able to upload photos to iPhoto in my Mac but the video files didn't make it. They played all white on Quicktime. It also wouldn't take any music files from iTunes.
The Jazz worked fine with my PC but the quality of both the photos and video was terrible. I guess I didn't know what I expected for $149 (walmart), but this was pretty poor. 5 pixels don't seem to do much good if the lens is the size of a pinhead. Unacceptable image quality.
This camera is (was - i'm taking it back) for my son's 14th birthday. He takes mostly stills but also video and is always borrowing my cameras, so the hybrid video camera seemed perfect. But I think we're going to go with slim digital cam that does a little video, so he gets great quality photos.
renavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:36 AM   #12

You'd be able to see the clips if you were to install the open source codec pack... Perian.

On the other hand, you wouldn't want to because I agree with you; the clips produced by the Jazz HD camcorders are the ugliest, so-called "HD" clips I have ever seen. Absolutely unacceptable.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:43 AM   #13

renavid and PI:

I think what is happening on your end with the Mac is that it wants to use QT by default.

Now I am just speculating but I would say that if you saw these clips in Windows Media Player you would have a different opinion of this cam's capabilities. I looked at my clips in both players and yes, in QT they were unacceptible but in WMP they were VERY CLEAN.

Again, I am not a PC zealot or anti Mac, just stating the facts on this as I do this sort of thing all day long for a living...

The other issue is that by identifying the "white" screen with QT means that there is a missing video codec on the machine. This is especially true if you get audio playback because the audio format is one that the machine recognizes but the video is not.

Just some overall feedback not meaning to start a fight or poke anyone's bottons...

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:02 AM   #14

Did you not read what I wrote?

I have both Mac and PC.

I'm viewing the clips in Windows Media Player on my PC at home and at work.

Some of the Jazz clips look *barely* OK.

But some of the Jazz clips have the "crawling maggots" artifacting on the edges of subjects... far, far worse than the Aiptek clips.

Either the people who have uploaded these clips have accidently re-encoded them or they are clips that are starved of sufficient bit rate to be acceptable.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:21 AM   #15

PI:

Sorry I missed that post but see it now...

Point taken.

Did you get a chance to look at my clips on Vimeo? Yes they are encoded flash but by comparison to most of the crappy uploaded internet video, I think they look quite good all things considered. And with Fishy's point, of the price of the cam, it is amazing as compared to my say Aiptek DV5800 from a year again at the same price...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:18 AM   #16

Another thing to note: if you shoot in 720p and then use that video clip in a DVD, the resulting DVD video will have a lot less noise in it. The downscaling from 1280x720 to 720x480 will remove a lot of high-frequency noise (the amount depends on the type of resizing used) and tends to clean up clips quite a bit. You can see this if you view the videos at 50% size in your media player (the quality probably won't be as good as the end DVD result though).

The flash video is definitely scaled down and will look cleaner at a smaller size.

BUT, this is the advantage to shooting at a higher resolution. In post-production, you have a lot more data which can help you create a nicer end result.
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:32 AM   #17

sfritzinger:

EXACTLY!!!!

That will be one of the projects I do for fun this spring. Shoot something on this Jazz 188 but use my minidisk recorder to record the audio and then sync and edit in post. I think the result will be something that will be quite acceptable once played back on the net. Most folks will assume it was not shot on a $100 throwaway cam.

Jay
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:16 PM   #18

I agree with that.

These sub-$200 HD cams should be ideal for distributing video on standard definition DVDs.

When you start out with higher resolution and then scale down... the end result should be quite good... better than what low-end MiniDV camcorders would yield (in theory).

Private Idaho

Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:18 PM   #19

By the way, your Mingus Park Jazz clips on Vimeo looked OK.

Way better than some of the other Jazz clips that have been uploaded.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:14 AM   #20

Google "VLC" and get it for the Mac, can play almost anything. I run it on Windows and in Linux. I ran it on my mac when I had one and it played everything.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote