Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 14, 2008, 6:02 PM   #101

Rolling SHutter , not a issue , as long as things are not in motion the cam works fine if you're going t obe on a rail or car etc then it may be a problem seeing video sidways or diagnal
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:24 PM   #102

Thanks, the picture has less artifact than a HDTV signal so is good for that, except rolling shutter. The exposure compensation issues and even the Auto focus issues can be dealt with to a certain degree. But the rolling shutter stretches the world with vertical movement, and tilts with horizontal movement. There is clear ways to reduce this on Micron sensors, to do with readout rate and exposure/snapshot settings, even a firmware upgrade could possibly do it. On large screen with large angle of vision, the effects would be exaggerated. I still like the camera though, and if I really wanted to buy a expensive external shutter I could reduce the rolling shutter drastically without resorting to software anti-roll effects (which can make it look normal tilt etc, but not everything that went missing). Still good for price (but Aiptek please minimise the rolling shutter when you can, and even out the exposure and low light/Noise/AF issues, that are the only things that are not optimal from a consumer point of view).

I noticed during the roller blade river run, that the exposure is too much towards the dark side. Every time you passed under a big tree the exposure on the surrounding world would brighten up pleasantly, and you could see reasonably under the tree. About the only time it could not handle the contrast was going under the huge bridge/overpass. If the normal exposure was set to how it was passing under the tree, only compensating down when bright burned out objects are in the image, it would be pretty nice. But I suppose that is the compromise, and we will have to wait for a camera with more latitude to be able to naturally compensate for that. But here is a thought, does the exposure settings allow you to bias the auto exposure to be brighter or darker (different times either is useful) or are they only manual adjustments (which is also very useful at times)?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 1:26 AM   #103

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
does the exposure settings allow you to bias the auto exposure to be brighter or darker (different times either is useful) or are they only manual adjustments (which is also very useful at times)?
The exposure setting DOES allow you to adjust the bias of the exposure. In fact, before I got to your question I was wondering if that was the problem with the footage, that whoever took it, had the exposure set too high. Also the rolling shutter example and "fix" I posted really only seems to be noticed by me when recording in 30fps. 60 fps seems to GREATLY reduce this.. but yeah, it'd be nice to record at 30fps and not worry about it. Even thought its 1440 x 1080 I still like the RESOLUTION.. just wish the rolling shutter was less because at that res it will only do 30fps. Now if there was only a way to hack this camera to setup a STEREO mic! I believe it IS already setup in the hardware that way since, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but when you do a VOICE RECORDING, just using it as a voice recording, putting it in the voice recorder mode, not video, it records an audio file as STEREO..so it MUST already be in the hardware... now only how can we fix this for the video? Only drag about the voice mode is that it's only like 11khz.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 12:01 PM   #104

Does anyone get random staticky audio, even in quiet/non windy situations? I am 99% sure I got a returned unit (thre are nicks and chunks in the plastic for heaven's sakes), and every 4th or 5th clip seems to just have completely trashed audio....I'm wondering if if it's defective or a known issue.

rgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 12:52 PM   #105

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
I see the Action is plagued with the same weird focus problem as the GO HD when zooming. That's why I got the A-HD+ instead.
after reading numerous reviews and strories about various aiptek hybrids, this is the first mention i've seen of a zooming focus problem.

is this a problem on all aiptek models except the A-HD+?

could you elaborate on the details of the nature of the problem?

besonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 3:02 PM   #106

When you zoom the auto focus readjusts and that will temporarily pull the image out of focus. If you look at the video referenced you will see what I mean. I suspect most folk using the Action HD are using the zoom for a telephoto lens so they don't have to get closer to a subject. Their footage may not included the zooming or it is edited out.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:17 AM   #107

You may have picked up a used unit.

But be sure you remove the thin plastic layer that covers some of the panels of this camcorder because they can fool you into thinking there are scuffs on the camera when -- in reality -- the thin layer of plastic is causing that appearance.

The new Aiptek microphones are similar to the mics used by the Sanyo camcorders... you get a lot of automatic gain control... so that when you record audio/video in a quiet environment, then the gain is automatically boosted... causing the "hiss."

The only answer to this is to utilize external audio recorders, such as Sony MiniDisc, to get really, really great sound that can be edited in during post.

Private Idaho

rgoodwin wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone get random staticky audio, even in quiet/non windy situations? I am 99% sure I got a returned unit (thre are nicks and chunks in the plastic for heaven's sakes), and every 4th or 5th clip seems to just have completely trashed audio....I'm wondering if if it's defective or a known issue.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:46 AM   #108

Correct.

There's another reason to use the zoom as a telephoto.

The sound of the zoom mechanism is actually picked up as a noise by the onboard microphone.

This is common in low cost pocket camcorders.

My Sanyo VPC-CG6 does the same.

My Panasonic SDR-S10 does not! However, the Panasonic *does* pick up the noise of the autofocus mechanism when the camera is handheld and being moved!

Private Idaho

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
When you zoom the auto focus readjusts and that will temporarily pull the image out of focus. If you look at the video referenced you will see what I mean. I suspect most folk using the Action HD are using the zoom for a telephoto lens so they don't have to get closer to a subject. Their footage may not included the zooming or it is edited out.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 11:53 AM   #109

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:

The only answer to this is to utilize external audio recorders, such as Sony MiniDisc, to get really, really great sound that can be edited in during post.

How do you use a MiniDisc recorder? Do you have to use external mics with it? I'd love to hear more!
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 12:03 PM   #110

Out of interest, when you combine the audio from an external device such as minidisc recorder, how do you go about making sure they are in sync? Do you just line them up by ear or is there a more 'scientific' way of doing this because obviously the camera and the audio are not going to be started at the same time so how do you know they are perfectly in sync. I am of course talking mainly about video with people talking as even though they may be in sync at the start, a millisecond or so difference and it will drift.

I am interested in how this is done as I may try this myself at some point since I do have an old minidisc recorder lying around around unused. It would be one way I could record in stereo with the HDV178.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote