Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 16, 2008, 2:18 PM   #111

I'll try to list a few pertinent points.

1. MiniDisc recorder goes into the subject's pocket;

The small clapboards can be had for less than $30:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...mp;pagesize=20

2. I have my subject turn on the MiniDisc recorder; usually I use a cheap Radio Shack lavalier microphone that plugs into the MiniDisc recorder and I make certain the lavalier is about six to seven inches below the subject's mouth with the tip of the mic pointing directly toward the mouth.

3. I use a clapboard; Just clap the sticks together while the clapboard is in front of the camera;

4. I then use the Sony MiniDisc software to upload via USB 2.0 to the computer. This high-speed USB 2.0 uploading is only possible with the newer "HiMD" MiniDisc recorder models. But older MiniDiscs can be read by the newer recorders and uploaded via USB 2.0.

5. I then import the audio (.WAV file format) from the MiniDisc into my non-linear video editor of choice and I match the clapboard video with the "clap" sound on the audio track.

It's pretty easy... especially when you're working with the Apple Intermediate Codec on the Mac and with the Cineform Intermediate Codec on the PC.

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 2:24 PM   #112

For capturing general sound with my Audio-Technica 835b shotgun microphone, I also sometimes mount the shotgun mic on a tripod and plug it into my Sony MiniDisc recorder, which I secure to the tripod.

Then I clap the board in front of the camera and I'm then free to move around while capturing ambient sound.

Private Idaho
Old May 16, 2008, 2:30 PM   #113

One more point.

The older MiniDisc recorder models -- the ones released prior to "HiMD" -- don't support high-speed USB 2.0 uploading, but you can still just connect their analog stereo out to any computer's line input and "play" the audio into the hard drive of the computer. To my surprise, even this type of audio sounds great. It just takes longer to capture it to one's hard disk. These older MiniDisc recorders are inexpensive.

Private Idaho
Old May 16, 2008, 3:31 PM   #114

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Out of interest, when you combine the audio from an external device such as minidisc recorder, how do you go about making sure they are in sync? Do you just line them up by ear or is there a more 'scientific' way of doing this
I use Vegas.
I often need to stretch audio by a few fractions of a percent so as to compensate for different clock-rate between the audio and video recorders. Then I sync the external audio track to the internal camera audio/video. Vegas allows you to slide one audio track alongside another, listening until they are exactly in phase. You can hear that point clearly.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 3:44 PM   #115

I've managed to get make Vegas work successfully with the Aiptek files.

I first convert the Aiptek .MOV Quicktime movies to Cineform .avi intermediate HD codec files.

The Vegas application then accepts the Cineform files without complaint.

Cineform ships a little software application called "HDLink" that allows me to convert the Aiptek files to Cineform files.

Private Idaho
Old May 17, 2008, 12:55 AM   #116

I would like to point out that the A/V INPUT recording is actually 720*480, *not* 640 as I read elsewhere. Now I must say, this is a really slick feature.. are there any OTHER Aiptek cameras (cheaper ones) that can do this? I'm considering a dedicated application.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 7:16 AM   #117

AV-IN

[size=YES, Record at 640 x 480 (VGA)][/size]

are you absolutely sure, pgomberg wrote:

Quote:
I would like to point out that the A/V INPUT recording is actually 720*480, *not* 640 as I read elsewhere. Now I must say, this is a really slick feature.. are there any OTHER Aiptek cameras (cheaper ones) that can do this? I'm considering a dedicated application.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 9:14 AM   #118

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:

AV-IN

[size=YES, Record at 640 x 480 (VGA)][/size]

are you absolutely sure,* pgomberg wrote:

Quote:

I am. If you like, I can upload a clip for you Or maybe I just got a "special" one that does 720*480?
Old May 18, 2008, 9:32 AM   #119

Ok, there you go:

http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/j...?id=omhrm42441
Old May 18, 2008, 9:57 AM   #120

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Can you select from the menu to record both @ 640x480 and @720x480? Maybe you ve got a new firmware????
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote