Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 18, 2008, 10:04 AM   #121

There were no options that I could see that specified a resolution. JUst when I plugged the input cable in it asked, Headphones, AV-IN, or AV-OUT? And I Just selected AV IN.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 2:24 PM   #122

This is my first cam that uses SDHC. I'm a little bit confused. I'm currently using a 4gig "class 4" card in my Aiptek Action HD. Looking at the bitrates posted for the camera, do I need a "Class 6 " card? In other words is my Class 4 card fast enough?

TIA,
montego
montego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 4:12 PM   #123

1 any SD card will work why are you gonna spend extra cash for something that will only collect the samespeed in read/write. unless your pc or reader needs it.

2 there is no option for AV input it is only 640x480 according to Aipteks site and manual

sr71 wrote:

Quote:
pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
I would like to point out that the A/V INPUT recording is actually 720*480, *not* 640 as I read elsewhere. Now I must say, this is a really slick feature.. are there any OTHER Aiptek cameras (cheaper ones) that can do this? I'm considering a dedicated application.
Can you select from the menu to record both @ 640x480 and @720x480? Maybe you ve got a new firmware????
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:33 PM   #124

I just purchased the action hd and I am having problems with the .mov files. I already own a program called Proshow Gold that I use for creating photo slideshows, but it will not allow my to import video from the action hd. It has some decent video editing features and I really don't want to buy more software.

I upgraded my version of Quicktime to Pro, so I could convert the files. QT will shutdown when I am in the export menu trying to adjust the output settings for an AVI convert. I can convert it to Mpg4 just fine and I can import into Proshow. Any ideas for making this process easier? Is mpg4 a decent format? or am I hurting the quality? Thaks for helping a video newbie.
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:50 PM   #125

The .mp4 format works.

Anytime one transcodes to another format, one loses some quality.

The amount of quality loss varies from codec to codec.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 5:54 PM   #126

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
The .mp4 format works.

Anytime one transcodes to another format, one loses some quality.

The amount of quality loss varies from codec to codec.
Thanks! I know still cameras quite well..but video is new to me.

Proshow supports .mov files, any ideas why I can't import it?
nels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 6:51 PM   #127
-J-

Hey guys - great forum and very informative. I've read through the forum and am weighing all the info, but here's where I am - any feedback or advice is appreciated

To make a long story short I'm close to making a purchase of the Aiptek HD 1080p at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ayment+Options

Near as I can tell this is the latest version, no? Or is there a more recent version that would be an upgrade?

My main motivation is to find something small and portable for decent videos and still photos of my two young kids.

As such I don't want to pay $400+ for a video camera - and I recognize if its not portable it doesn't matter how good it is - I won't use it.

So my main concerns are whether I'm going to drive myself crazy with high resolution shots that are jumping all over the place because there's no anti-shake mechanism... and a still photo feature that might be 5 MP (or is it 8?) but still has pretty crappy quality.

Any input would be appreciated.

Also - it might be worthnoting that I've never done any movie editing before... will be using a PC and I look forward to searching on the forum to find some good, free editing toos - but if the format of theAiptek is problematic for working on a PC that'd be good to know too.

Thanks!

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 11:34 PM   #128

I own an Aiptek Action HD. I like the fact that it has built in flash for photo taking, and LED lights for recording video in low light (aside from the nightshot mode). I especially like the fact that this can record in 60FPS! Big plus! I also really enjoy the 2 inch macro mode on this thing, I love the depth of field it affords. The tradeoff however is that the autofocus on this does sometimes hunt too much. There is no anti-shake on this, but I can post-process it out.. but it takes a little while. The only two things I wish about this camcorder, is that #1, it had stereo audio (probably no hybrids do but I still wish it did), and #2, I wish it had the option to switch the auto focus to manual focus. Aside from that, I don't really own any HD hardware, so I just downscale the video to DVD D1 resolution and it looks KILLER. WAY clearer image than my DV8 cam.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:37 PM   #129

One other note, to anyone who owns this camcorder. Yesterday I was putting it back into the pouch it came with, and I wasn't looking and upon inserting it the joystick got stuck on the side of the pouch (one of the elastic sides), and well, I guess I tried pushing it down too hard (which wasn't very hard), and now the joystick.. um.. well.. STICKS.. :O if I move it up, or down, or right, or left.. it just stays there. I have to manually center it again. Just FYI. Be careful with the joystick. It still works though... so far.
Old May 20, 2008, 6:01 AM   #130

the Joystick was further out and now they sank it further in for reasons

I dropped my old one and well it fell off my lapp to the floor like a foot hit just right to break the whole dam thin

you can not fix it but need it repaired.

if it is the A-HD I would say order the board if it is the action I believe it is not the same like hte a-hd

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
One other note, to anyone who owns this camcorder. Yesterday I was putting it back into the pouch it came with, and I wasn't looking and upon inserting it the joystick got stuck on the side of the pouch (one of the elastic sides), and well, I guess I tried pushing it down too hard (which wasn't very hard), and now the joystick.. um.. well.. STICKS.. :O if I move it up, or down, or right, or left.. it just stays there. I have to manually center it again. Just FYI. Be careful with the joystick. It still works though... so far.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote