Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 23, 2008, 5:08 AM   #141

1. I did not see a class 6 card neccesaary in the specs. will have to view the online manual.

2 yes the PC or mac has to be a certain speed my laptop is I think 1.5 the video plays choppy,. and yep that's right.

Now what I do at times. someone asks Ineeda video blah,blah,blah. I well edited with total and got a certain amoiunt of video up, and then save to the same file format and use VIMEO.COM uploaded it, and the n ia mable to play back very nicely may just be a lilslow at times if the connection speed, but heck

A Storage space isfree

B plays thevideo smoother

that is my trick while Iam on a slow procesor 500 meg limit per week is the drag, LMAO:

yes use this thread it is for just that LOL ifgoing off topic I say O.T. I used the library read a book and it was about cooking. as long as iam saying o.t. back on topic comparing the hybrids to the A-HD etc.... you get the drift...........

-J- wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fishycomics - just a few more questions if you don't mind (and I hope this thread is ok to use - I don't see the need to start a whole new thread just for little old me)

The specs say that a Class 6 is necessary in order to record at the highest resolution and speed - did you say earlier in this thread that's BS?

Will a regular SD be able to "record" the HD video?

Also I see the specs also call for a 3.2 Ghz computer with 2 GB of ram. I'm about half of that I think. Am I going to have problems viewing and editing on my computer?

Thanks guys - really appreciate the insight.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 8:22 AM   #142
-J-

My read of the specs - and others have referenced it within this thread - is that any SD will technically work but it might not be up to the task of keeping up with 60 fps in data - and that they recommend a class 6 at the highest resolution.

I saw on the box there were various specs for various resolutions, be they SD cards or for computer ram or Ghz processing. A 2 Ghz computer isn't THAT out of date but if 3+ is needed maybe this isn't the camera for me.

It's one thing if I simply can't watch the full resolution of the videos on my computer - as long as I can still edit them and put them on a DVD for example and watch them in the best resolution possible etc. Chances are that for the next year + I'll simply be taking and storing video on the computer. If I have to put off editing for awhile I can deal with that - hopefully watching as of right now won't be painfully bad.

However I encountered a more serious issue this morning. I took some video and took some pictures - and then the camera kindof froze up. In the lower left corner was the icon of the movie camera that said "Stop" below it. Nothing I did would unfreeze it.

Closing it - trying to hit the off button - none of that helped. It wouldn't turn off. It was beginning to get slightly hot as well. Not very hot but warm.

I noticed that the zoom still worked - and then I noticed as everything in the view finder began to turn red... slight at first, then darker.

I finally took out the battery and put it back in. ... and back to normal.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong but seems to me I've got a bum camera here - I'll exchange it I guess as I'm not quite ready to give up on it.

But my test with photos is giving me concern as well. Took a few photos of my kids this morning. They were staying relatively motionless - but my shots were still a little bit blurry. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the 8 MP setting I have it on (I thought this was a 5 MP resolution yet they say it goes up to 8 - which suggests to me its interpolating to get the higher resolution and I know sometimes that can be problematic.

Sorry for the post all over the place but I figure it makes more sense than separate threads.

Any feedback on what problems I might have with a 2 Ghz computer with 1 GB of ram, why the camera froze and view turned red - and whether this hybrid by nature takes blurry pictures - be they 5 MP or 8 - would be appreciated.

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 10:15 AM   #143

-J- wrote:
Quote:
Any feedback on what problems I might have with a 2 Ghz computer with 1 GB of ram, why the camera froze and view turned red - and whether this hybrid by nature takes blurry pictures - be they 5 MP or 8 - would be appreciated.
What's the exact model of the cpu? What graphics card have you got?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 12:02 PM   #144
-J-

I will check when I get back home - its just a basic Compaq PC - nothing special in terms of graphics, and a 1.9 ghz processor with 1 GB of Ram.

Realistically I can deal with not editing or watching the vids at high resolution for now... and likely won't get around to editing them for quite some time.

I guess my bigger concern is whether the Action HD is actually up to the task of being a decent still photo camera - and I'm assuming that the freezing of the camera, and the red screen effect was NOT normal and I should at the very least exchange this one.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:08 PM   #145
-J-

Just in case it hasn't popped up here - I saw someone lamenting that the camera turns off when the viewfinder is closed

Apparently someone has modified it so that doesn't happen (forgive me I haven't watched it yet but figured I'd post it) I guess that's pretty much the end of the warranty, but it might be of interest to some

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Iron....era-mod-1.aspx
Old May 23, 2008, 12:39 PM   #146

Ok, some MACRO goodness with the Aiptek Action HD:
http://www.vimeo.com/1056315
and some autofocus frustrations.. anyhow.. this is my first HD Vimeo upload :-) Hope you like it. I catch a lizard in it
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 3:24 PM   #147

LMAO:

how long did it take you t otrai nthat sucker t oplay dead LOL

great footage.

wow macro realy wasstobur, wonder if you had to be in macro befor filming for a perfect shot. if not then I am sure that is why it taken such a long time.. this may be a issue if it allowed to do just that

Loved the footage and boy Vimeo or the focus hunt was not great . great stuff:|

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Ok, some MACRO goodness with the Aiptek Action HD:
http://www.vimeo.com/1056315
and some autofocus frustrations.. anyhow.. this is my first HD Vimeo upload :-) Hope you like it. I catch a lizard in it
Old May 23, 2008, 3:35 PM   #148

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
LMAO:

┬*┬* how long did it take you t otrai nthat sucker t oplay dead LOL

┬*great footage.

┬*wow macro realy wasstobur, wonder if┬* you had to be in macro befor filming for a perfect shot. if not then I am sure that is why it taken such a long time.. this may be a issue if it┬* allowed to do┬* just that

┬*Loved the footage and┬* boy Vimeo or the focus hunt was┬* not great . great stuff:|

Heh, glad you like it. For some reason, ever since I was a kid, I remember after you catch those lizards, you can put them upside down and they will "play dead" until they think they can get away.

Personally, even though the AF can be a pain at times, for the type of video I shoot, I will put up with the AF issues. I really love the macro on this thing. Having said that, I would HOPE that PERHAPS Aiptek could release a firmware update to allow you to manually control the focus? That would be great. A SECOND thing I like about the macro is that it can focus to infinity, so if you have it on macro and you don't know it, your far away subjects will STILL be in focus. Only thing is that the zoom is disabled in Macro, it's fixed at 1.5X when switching to Macro. So again, for what I shoot, even though the AF can be a bugger at times, I really like the Action HD.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 4:04 PM   #149

Its a great device they read here and I been saying manual controls is all that is M.I.A. just I preferre the A-HD till they get wb manual andsome others in manaul
Old May 23, 2008, 7:26 PM   #150
-J-

Sadly, I'm leaning towards returning this camera

As noted before, I don't know if I just got a bum camera (noting the camera freezing up and screen turning red this morning) or not but I just can't seen to get it to take decent pictures.

This had so much promise for me - and the quality of the video is just excellent - but as a still camera, I have to say it completely sux.

My cellphone (LG-EnV) 2 megapixel camera is better than this. It might be 5 - 8 megapixels but it's 5 megapixels of blur.

Probably 1 out of 5 photos comes out ok - but the vast majority are blurred enough to just completely frustrate you. I think they even say in the instructions that you need to be perfectly still yourself to take pictures but that's completely unrealistic.

I'm hoping someone comes on here to tell me I must have a faulty camera and that they've had no problems taking pictures, but barring that, I have to call this camera a failure as a hybrid - in that no matter how great the quality of the video is, if it can't take a decent picture, it's really not a hybrid.

I may try to exchange it tomorrow and see if another one works better - barring that I'd appreciate any advice on the next best affordably hybrid out there.

It's sad because if they could just improve the still picture quality to that of a basic camera they'd really have a winning product here.

Am I the only one underwhelmed by the still photo performance?