Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 28, 2008, 3:19 PM   #161

Ok, I tried to be a good boy and read through the entire thread but I just didn't have the time.

First, for those having a problem with the video format, download the free program called YAMB. Yup, just search google for that name. It will take the streams out of the .MOV container and repackage it into a proper .mp4 container. Most computers and codecs will behave a lot more nicely once this is done. Since there's no reencoding involved, the process will just take seconds to complete depending on the length of the video, of course.

Make sure to download MP4BOX as well. YAMB will require it.

Ok, on to my problem. I've gotten TWO of these units from Walmart already and I have the same issue. The autofocus motor makes a LOT of noise. I don't mean when you zoom but just panning around the room, the autofocus motor continues to readjust and that gets recorded on to the audio track. It's to the point of being a distraction when viewing the videos! I've read in a few different places that this was fixed in the Action HD but it doesn't seem to be the case and no reviews actually complain about this problem.

Has anyone else noticed this?
sp00k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 8:56 PM   #162

So far I have not noticed it in my videos. At times I've heard it, and was surprised by the noise it made.. but most of my videos are noisy.. so maybe I just don't hear it because it's blending in with the noise?

Try some WD-40?

:-)
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 8:59 PM   #163

I would agree. If you are filming in a quiet room you can definitely hear the motors running, but not if there is noise such as kids screaming or ambient wind from being outside.

~Rolan
rolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 5:07 AM   #164

LMAO: if the camera is electronic it should be all silient if it is geared yep will hear just that mechanicals like a kodak 700 series itried
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 9:41 AM   #165

Common issue.

Use a tripod.

The same thing happens with other low-cost hybrids.

My Panasonic SDR-S10 is just one example.

Auto-focus noise gets recorded when doing handheld shooting.

When I switch to a tripod, the noise is gone.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2008, 9:42 AM   #166

This is also another reason I use Sony MiniDisc miniature audio recorders when I want to capture great field audio.

Private Idaho
Old May 29, 2008, 4:01 PM   #167

I have not really given this machine a good trial run, I'll have a chance to do that tomorrow (going out of town). I made a short clip yesterday where there was background sound coming from the TV and the motor noise wasn't a really big problem in there.

I suspect that there may be some dynamic microphone gain happening in this machine where in a quiet environment, the audio gain is turned up, therefore amplifying the motor noise but in a noisy environment, the gain is turned down to the point where the motor noise is inaudible.

BTW, anyone try the YAMB method? It works wonders for playing these clips in the XBox 360 (the MOV format makes the 360 freeze up).
sp00k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 10:43 AM   #168

I agree.

I suspect there may be an automatic gain control (AGC) function with this camera model.

The same thing happens with the Sanyo VPC-CG6.

When I'm in a quiet environment, the gain automatically increases and the result is an audible "hiss."

Private Idaho
Old May 30, 2008, 10:46 AM   #169

I use Quicktime to down-convert my Aiptek HD clips to Apple's 960 x 540, 30 frames per second high resolution Quicktime .MOV format for Apple TV; works great!!

My Apple TV is linked -- via wireless -- to the iTunes store and to every computer hard disk in my house.

So I can beam the photos and videos on any hard drive in the house to my Apple TV, which displays them on the biggest screen in my house; works great!!

Private Idaho

Old May 30, 2008, 5:51 PM   #170

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know this isn't the place for a gallery, but I was so impressed by the detail. Forgive me if anyone is grossed out by these, but here are some macro shots taken at 1080p!! I only applied the correct AR to these images, otherwise they are unedited. Just click on one and the full-sized image will open

Ever seen sesame seeds THIS BIG? :-)

pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote