Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 2, 2008, 10:21 PM   #181
-J-

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Wow, I bought a 16GB SDHC PNY card for $54.99 a few days ago online. It arrived today. I put that baby in my Action HD.. and it sees it fine. Says it will record up to TEN HOURS and somewhat seconds in D1 60fps! I think it's like 5 hours at 720p 60fps.

And just a side note, for someone just wanting to make standard DVD video, the D1 60FPS isn't too bad on this camcorder. Just what I've noticed. Either way, this camera seems to do a decent job of capturing quality video for the price!
FYI - I've ordered an 8 GB Class 6 card from Tiger Direct - $39.99 and includes a SDHC reader as my 3 year old computer has an SD reader but I don't think it would recognize an SDHC chip (the reader was a freebie so it doesn't matter)

I've seen some no name brand 8 GB sdhc class 6 cards as low as $29.99 - on Buy.com I think (and $10 off with Google checkout to bring it down to $20)

I can't imagine 8 GB won't be enough - I'm lazy when it comes to downloading pictures and video but not that lazy.

I read on a tigerdirect.com review of the card that some who run Windows XP can't get the computer to recognize anything over 4GB on sd cards.

It looks like Microsoft does now have a fix (they didn't before) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428/

I haven't gotten my SDHC card just yet so I can't tell you if it works but I did run the upgrade

One issue I have had is the fact that even putting in my 1 GB sd card right now seems to cause the computer to freeze up - I lose my desktop and the computer asks me to restart active desktop - but then it won't. I've had to restore the computer settings twice now.

I'm not sure if anyone else is having that problem or not - maybe it has something to do with Quicktime not getting along well with Windows?

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:33 AM   #182

I am *entirely* unable to read even a NORMAL SD card with my SD card reader. Causes XP to blue screen in fat32.sys, or something like that. But via the Action HD it sees it perfectly fine

Yeah, I agree 16gigs is kinda overkill, but for only 54.99, I was compelled, plus I *AM* kinda lazy.. but with my paranoia of a corrupted memory card I'm sure I'll be copying files off here frequently.

My PNY card is NOT a class 6. It's a class 4, which means at MINIMUM it can write at 4mbps, and the package says it will write up to 9mbps for video. The UPC symbol has this info on it "P-SDHC16G4-FS" and if you do a google search for that, you will find a TON of them for quite a bit more than the $54.99 I paid.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...&oe=utf-8&um=1

You can still find them HERE however for $54.99 (no I have NO affiliation with this company, just they seem to have the best deal on this for some reason, maybe it's a mistake?)

http://3btech.net/pny16sedisdf.html

Anyhow, now I think I'm gonna try and sell some of my 2GB SD cards to comp for the extended battery I want to buy :idea:

pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:47 AM   #183
-J-

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
I am *entirely* unable to read even a NORMAL SD card with my SD card reader. Causes XP to blue screen in fat32.sys, or something like that. But via the Action HD it sees it perfectly fine

Yeah, I agree 16gigs is kinda overkill, but for only 54.99, I was compelled, plus I *AM* kinda lazy.. but with my paranoia of a corrupted memory card I'm sure I'll be copying files off here frequently.

My PNY card is NOT a class 6. It's a class 4, which means at MINIMUM it can write at 4mbps, and the package says it will write up to 9mbps for video. The UPC symbol has this info on it "P-SDHC16G4-FS" and if you do a google search for that, you will find a TON of them for quite a bit more than the $54.99 I paid.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...utf-8&um=1

You can still find them HERE however for $54.99 (no I have NO affiliation with this company, just they seem to have the best deal on this for some reason, maybe it's a mistake?)

http://3btech.net/pny16sedisdf.html

Anyhow, now I think I'm gonna try and sell some of my 2GB SD cards to comp for the extended battery I want to buy :idea:
I could swear I read somewhere that the HD 60 fps needs a Class 6 card to be able to capture that much data as quickly as its produced... that would make sense, but I can't cite exactly where in the specs that comes from

But I don't think I've ready anyone in this forum having a problem with less than a class 6 as well.

I've used a 1 GB SD card and tried it at 60 fps (both DVD quality and 720) and didn't enounter a problem - but then again, if its defaulting to less than 720 or less than 60 fps assuming it can't come up, I'm not sure I would notice short of it giving an error message.

In any event, choosing to be safe than sorry, I went with a Class 6.

I've had intermittent success with my comptuer "recognizing" the camera and camera memory when hooked up through USB - though I think that's a computer issue more so than the camera.

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:10 PM   #184

Well, according to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC

"The SD Speed Class Ratings specify the following minimum write speeds..."

So, a class 4 means at MINIMUM it will write to the card at 4 MB/s. As I mentioned before, the one I got states that it will write up to 9 MB/s for video. Says "Ideal solution for video capture". I will post if I run into any problems though.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:30 PM   #185

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
One other note, to anyone who owns this camcorder. Yesterday I was putting it back into the pouch it came with, and I wasn't looking and upon inserting it the joystick got stuck on the side of the pouch (one of the elastic sides), and well, I guess I tried pushing it down too hard (which wasn't very hard), and now the joystick.. um.. well.. STICKS.. :O if I move it up, or down, or right, or left.. it just stays there. I have to manually center it again. Just FYI. Be careful with the joystick. It still works though... so far.
yeah, my second Action HD came with a joystick that has a default resting position right of center. there is enough room to trigger the right sensor so it does function correctly.

i made a mental note that the joystick is more delicate than i expected.

besonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 4:38 PM   #186

Is anybody using a last generation video card with h264 hardware acceleration to the decode Aiptek videos?
The problem is: playing aiptek videos on an old Intel P4 , without using the cpu but using gpu to decode. I m talking about Geforce 9300 or Ati 3650 and up.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:59 PM   #187

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Is anybody using a last generation video card with h264 hardware acceleration to the decode Aiptek videos?
The problem is: playing aiptek videos on an old Intel P4 , without using the cpu but using gpu to decode. I m talking about Geforce 9300 or Ati 3650 and up.
My Dell M1330 (Geforce 8400M) can decode them well. Of cause, PowerDVD is needed.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 11:51 AM   #188

Thanks Rio for the info!

Finally I have my Aiptek Action HD too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 1:32 PM   #189

I guess if I read all the pages I would find my answer, but I'm lazy when it comes to reading all these posts. :G

Does this have antivibration or whatever it's called while your recording to keep the picture still?
SBSDubStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 4:41 PM   #190

In this thread If mentioned ,in mine hmmm

so without further adue.

Welcome to the site

oh thought you get the answer that fast LMAO:

No.

stabilization could not be added due to the cost next model yes
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote