Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:23 PM   #11

Perfection at its best on the review :|

Congrad private idaho, sooneror later we will lget you in.

I decided to quickly grab a tune from the tube

http://media.putfile.com/prince-53one is av input the other live of the same artists song

even though this is the 720P model still be the same.

as for the battery i wonder if the other members can confirm its a 1000 Mah, and als o what is the record life like? 70 minutes or the same 30? thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:55 PM   #12

I would be very much interested in what the bitrate is to see how it compares with the 720p model.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:15 PM   #13

My appologies, the 1080p was not used, the 720P was.

Action HD, A-HD+ or Go-hd or A-HD you do hear the difference.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I would be very much interested in what the bitrate is to see how it compares with the 720p model.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:26 PM   #14

drd403,

I've added 5 new samples. Four of them are outdoors: 2 of a colorful jungle gym, and 2 of the vegetation around here that is green right now. The other one is a 'car cam' clip at 60 fps (at that framerate, you can see every tarred-over crack in the road rock the car).

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:35 PM   #15

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
My appologies, the 1080p was not used, the 720P was.

Action HD, A-HD+ or Go-hd or A-HD you do hear the difference.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
No this was directed towards sfritzinger but I realized that I could've analyzed them myself doh!

Both mediainfo and Quicktime report that the full 1080p sample has a bitrate of just 7.5Mbps. 1440x1080 is approx 68% more resolution than 1280x720 and that is the same as the increase in bitrate from 4.5 to 7.5Mbps. Make of that, what you will.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:58 PM   #16

rgvcam,

Yes, what you found is correct from what I'm seeing here. Here is a rough bitrate table from what I've seen:

720p30: ~4 Mbps
720p60: ~6 Mbps
1080p30: ~7.4 Mbps

Even for 4Mbps, the 720p30 samples look really good. The new ones I posted (outdoors) show very little artifacting in areas of movement (fast pan on the first one, shrubs in the wind on the second one).

The 'car trip' 720p60 clip is very clean and I also noticed that the Auto-focus wasn't searching at all. I was happy to see it stay in focus the entire clip.

The 1080p30 clips show more artifacting than the others. I wish they would have kicked the bitrate up to at LEAST 9 Mbps (12 Mbps would have made me completely satisfied for this camcorder). As mentioned in the review, I'm very happy with the 720p60 mode.

Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:59 PM   #17

Thanks for the samples. I see the Action is plagued with the same weird focus problem as the GO HD when zooming. That's why I got the A-HD+ instead. Besides I never found the LED lights that useful.

As for playback I think we're going to have to wait for a barrage of graphics cards that have built-in h.264 decoding. Obviously its going to be important in the marketplace.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:11 PM   #18

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
drd403,

I've added 5 new samples. Four of them are outdoors: 2 of a colorful jungle gym, and 2 of the vegetation around here that is green right now. The other one is a 'car cam' clip at 60 fps (at that framerate, you can see every tarred-over crack in the road rock the car).

sfritzinger, thank you for thefast responce, it's so quick as your review perfect is!

About the samples. Almost nothing to say, except they are hard-to-believe-good (tell us, may be you use some tricks, or you are an Aiptek guy with the special edition of the camera? :lol. I can't see any artefacts. No blockiness at all. And what is very important for me - thereare no traces of one of mymost hated artefact, I don't know exact name - kind ofcrawling or flickering - when small image detailsare not patient but jumping and moving, like maggots inspoiled meat . You can easy see them in Jazz 178 samples. Your movies are rock solid from this point of view. I'm really impressed.
drd403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:06 PM   #19

drd403,

The shimmer/flicker/'maggot' :-) effect can be caused by sensor noise and very high / poor compression. Easiest way to see it is to hand-hold and point your camcorder at a wall that is textured. If the camcorder doesn't have a good quality sensor or compression engine, you will see small blocks which have a lot of noise on their edges.

This is the first digital camcorder I've owned that does not obviously exhibit this problem (not bad for $200!). The files are definitely not processed :-) They are straight from the camcorder.

And if I had access to the firmware, I'd add in some more stuff that would make this my own killer camcorder at any price :-)

Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:24 PM   #20

I just took my new Aiptek Action HD outside and recorded some video on a tripod of grass, shrubs, and the hills in the distance and I then came back inside a few moments ago and looked at the clips on my Mac and on my Windows PC.

The Quicktime clips are perfect for Mac users!

On my Windows PC, I could also open them without a problem in Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

For some reason, they crash my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 right down to the ground. Anybody know what might be causing something like that? It's the first time I've ever had a crash in the Sony application. Usually, I get crashes in the Corel/Ulead program's DVD authoring module.

Anyway, congratulations are in order to Aiptek.

While my Aiptek clips are not as good as the clips recorded by my Sony HDR-UX1 AVCHD camcorder, the Aiptek clips are plenty "good enough!"

That $200 Aiptek Action HD price tag is pretty amazing as I once paid $2,600 for a pro HDV camcorder... the JVC JY-HD10... and the JVC JY-HD10 was a 720p camcorder only and tape-based.

I plan to shoot some more clips in the 1080/30p format to see how those look.

So far, I've just recorded a few clips in the 720/60p format and I'm satisfied.

This thing also has video/audio "in" for digitizing old tapes and I'm interested to find out how well it works.

Audio is vastly improved over the older model GO-HD and A-HD models, in my opinion.

Yes, you can barely hear a bit of noise when you're zooming in/out.

Yes, in quiet conditions, you may barely hear a bit of "hum," but in most normal audio environments, you'll be pleased with the clear sound.

And, of course, there are photo and voice-record functions included.

I *love* the fact that Aiptek included a remote control!

When I shoot on a tripod, I like to use a remote because I can keep the beginning and end of the recording absolutely steady due to the fact my fingers aren't pressing the camera buttons!

LED lights and flash and case and cables and a mini tripod, too.

This is a great value.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote