Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:21 PM   #191

Thank you for the quick reply! Wow the video and price make it a decent buy. If I don't have stabilization my video look like you are watching through the eyes of a crack head strung out. :shock::?:G
SBSDubStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:46 PM   #192

First, thanks for the excellent review, and informative posts.
I am interested in using the Action HD as a helmut cam for mountain biking, etc. Has anyone done this, and what settings do you recommend (720 - 60, 1080 30)?
It is larger than most dedicated helmut cam, but none of them record in HD.
I don't like the fact that it stops recording when the viewfinder is closed. I saw a hack in one of the posts, but am not wild about that.
Can someone confirm - can you rotate the viewfinder 180 degrees so it rests against the body and still record? I know it exposes the screen to the elements, but am willing to live with that, and it would make it much easier to mount in multiple situations.
Thanks in advance, RickRock
RickRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 4:22 PM   #193

Welcome ric...........

over and over 270 degree swival screen that said yes it folds reverse in and records period.

1 helmet and a setting you cannot lower or raise the av input sorry if we could then we have a Hi def input recording lol

RickRock wrote:
Quote:
First, thanks for the excellent review, and informative posts.
I am interested in using the Action HD as a helmut cam for mountain biking, etc. Has anyone done this, and what settings do you recommend (720 - 60, 1080 30)?
It is larger than most dedicated helmut cam, but none of them record in HD.
I don't like the fact that it stops recording when the viewfinder is closed. I saw a hack in one of the posts, but am not wild about that.
Can someone confirm - can you rotate the viewfinder 180 degrees so it rests against the body and still record? I know it exposes the screen to the elements, but am willing to live with that, and it would make it much easier to mount in multiple situations.
Thanks in advance, RickRock
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 5:54 PM   #194

Thanks Fishy for the quick reply.
That's good news. I didn't want to have to do the hack.
I don't intend on using a separate camera, but mounting the Action HD directly to the helmut - I know it's a little heavy, but I've done a lot of helmut cam with much heavier units, and they weren't HD.
I probably will mount it on one side, and maybe use a counter weight on the other if needed.
Thanks again - this forum is great.
RickRock
RickRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:17 PM   #195

I am sure you can find a solution, would foam shaved to the correct fit, even cutting a hole on the helmet, but your head is always moving anyway. some can design mods and duct tape is the easiest would a clip do with the tripod screw on the side would keep the cam from falling off and yes a lil weight on the op. will help:idea:

RickRock wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Fishy for the quick reply.
That's good news. I didn't want to have to do the hack.
I don't intend on using a separate camera, but mounting the Action HD directly to the helmut - I know it's a little heavy, but I've done a lot of helmut cam with much heavier units, and they weren't HD.
I probably will mount it on one side, and maybe use a counter weight on the other if needed.
Thanks again - this forum is great.
RickRock
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:03 AM   #196

Just one interesting thing to note.. I find that in 1080p, the image is NOTICEABLY *clearer* on a high-def unit.

Take a guess at what I am shooting at now?
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:18 AM   #197

you're shooting for " A LINK"

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Just one interesting thing to note.. I find that in 1080p, the image is NOTICEABLY *clearer* on a high-def unit.

Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:47 AM   #198

I downloaded 4 of the sample movies (listed below) and tried to burn them to DVD with Roxio Creator DE 9.0. I didn't have Quicktime installed, which it promted me to install before I could add a .mov file. After installation of Quicktime, burning them to DVD worked, but viewing them in the DVD player had the the same choppiness as when I view it in Quicktime. Is this expected or is there anything else I can do? I installed VideoLAN, as suggested on the Aiptek site, and the playback quality was fine (no choppiness). I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5000+ (2.61 GHz) with 2GB RAM.

These are the 4 movies:
action-hd-720p60.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-junglegym.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-lowlight.mov
aiptek-action-hd-1080p30-junglegym.mov

Thanks.
ekeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:31 PM   #199

I read the following at Aiptek's FAQ:

"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible."

Question: Is there a knownissue using a Class 6 card with Action HD?

JigoLigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 4:43 PM   #200

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:

Uhhmmmm.... I would guess you're shooting at some very naughty bed scenes? :-)
JigoLigo is offline   Reply With Quote