Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:46 PM   #201
Senior Member
 
pgomberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 110
Default

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
you're shooting for " A LINK"

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Just one interesting thing to note.. I find that in 1080p, the image is NOTICEABLY *clearer* on a high-def unit.


Take a guess at what I am shooting at now?


ahhh... I'm lost... what? :?
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:52 PM   #202
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Of course class 6 works! Why shouldn't they work?
I have a A-Data class 6 sdhc and it works perfect and fast.


JigoLigo wrote:
Quote:
I read the following at Aiptek's FAQ:

"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible."

Question: Is there a knownissue using a Class 6 card with Action HD?

sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:53 PM   #203
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

You're shooting at your high-def TV?


pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
you're shooting for " A LINK"

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Just one interesting thing to note.. I find that in 1080p, the image is NOTICEABLY *clearer* on a high-def unit.


Take a guess at what I am shooting at now?


ahhh... I'm lost... what? :?
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:07 PM   #204
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

I haven't understood very well your problem... you mean the video doesn't play smoothly on your tv dvd player or in your pc dvd player?
For the former case, probably the player cannot handle hi-def videos. In the latter case, you need the correct software player and the correct settings.
I'll explain: playing the videos with some software works ok (BSplayer for example), while using others doesn't.
First thint to do is to enable Video Card hardware acceleration for h264 streams, if your card support it. If you have an Ati X1600 (or similar) or Ati X2400 / X2600 or X3000 series or Nvidia 8400 and up, then you can enable harware acceleration.
Using this feature, you have the best performance, regarless the cpu you have (ehm... not P2 233mhz...), and the cpu can relax as well.

ekeller wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded 4 of the sample movies (listed below) and tried to burn them to DVD with Roxio Creator DE 9.0. I didn't have Quicktime installed, which it promted me to install before I could add a .mov file. After installation of Quicktime, burning them to DVD worked, but viewing them in the DVD player had the the same choppiness as when I view it in Quicktime. Is this expected or is there anything else I can do? I installed VideoLAN, as suggested on the Aiptek site, and the playback quality was fine (no choppiness). I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5000+ (2.61 GHz) with 2GB RAM.

These are the 4 movies:
action-hd-720p60.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-junglegym.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-lowlight.mov
aiptek-action-hd-1080p30-junglegym.mov

Thanks.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:16 PM   #205
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

I am a biker too, but i dont think I'll use my Action HD on my helmet. I think I m gonna buy a bullet cam and use the Aiptek as recorder.
Here are the reasons:
1) rolling shutter: I think that all the vibrations on the camera will make the rolling shutter visible, that is you ll see kinda of "horizontal scans", not aligned edges of objects,
2) image stabilization is missing, so you ll need to post-process it with stabilization
3)the camera is plastic, get easily scratched and is not robust; so water, dust, sand,vibrations wont make it any good
4) it looks uncool (wearing it on helmet)
5) having that weight on the head is never pleasant

Anyway, 720p @ 60fps is clearly the suggested resolution


RickRock wrote:
Quote:
First, thanks for the excellent review, and informative posts.
I am interested in using the Action HD as a helmut cam for mountain biking, etc. Has anyone done this, and what settings do you recommend (720 - 60, 1080 30)?
It is larger than most dedicated helmut cam, but none of them record in HD.
I don't like the fact that it stops recording when the viewfinder is closed. I saw a hack in one of the posts, but am not wild about that.
Can someone confirm - can you rotate the viewfinder 180 degrees so it rests against the body and still record? I know it exposes the screen to the elements, but am willing to live with that, and it would make it much easier to mount in multiple situations.
Thanks in advance, RickRock
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:27 PM   #206
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

Be careful when unplugging the camera from your pc, for example after a file transer from the camera to the pc. Before removing it, be sure there arent any read/write operations and use the "remove it safely" function of Windows (or other Os).
I had problems similar to yours, that is explorer kept crashing while mounting the camera resources and even the camera itself could not recognize the sdhc anymore! That happened because i unplugged the camera from the pc while the card was still being read probably.
I resolved the problem somehow: formatting from the camera,removing the card, removing the battery, rebooting,.... I had to repeat these operations a few times, then the camera found the sdhc again and everything got ok.



-J- wrote
Quote:
Quote:
I could swear I read somewhere that the HD 60 fps needs a Class 6 card to be able to capture that much data as quickly as its produced... that would make sense, but I can't cite exactly where in the specs that comes from

But I don't think I've ready anyone in this forum having a problem with less than a class 6 as well.

I've used a 1 GB SD card and tried it at 60 fps (both DVD quality and 720) and didn't enounter a problem - but then again, if its defaulting to less than 720 or less than 60 fps assuming it can't come up, I'm not sure I would notice short of it giving an error message.

In any event, choosing to be safe than sorry, I went with a Class 6.

I've had intermittent success with my comptuer "recognizing" the camera and camera memory when hooked up through USB - though I think that's a computer issue more so than the camera.

sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:50 PM   #207
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2
Default

I meant that the video doesn't play smoothly on the TV DVD player. And you're right, it is not a high-def DVD player. I thought that if I just burnt to DVD, it would do it in a format suitable for a regular DVD, but I see now that's not the case. I'll try converting to MPEG-2 first.


sr71 wrote:
Quote:
I haven't understood very well your problem... you mean the video doesn't play smoothly on your tv dvd player or in your pc dvd player?
For the former case, probably the player cannot handle hi-def videos. In the latter case, you need the correct software player and the correct settings.
I'll explain: playing the videos with some software works ok (BSplayer for example), while using others doesn't.
First thint to do is to enable Video Card hardware acceleration for h264 streams, if your card support it. If you have an Ati X1600 (or similar) or Ati X2400 / X2600 or X3000 series or Nvidia 8400 and up, then you can enable harware acceleration.
Using this feature, you have the best performance, regarless the cpu you have (ehm... not P2 233mhz...), and the cpu can relax as well.

ekeller wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded 4 of the sample movies (listed below) and tried to burn them to DVD with Roxio Creator DE 9.0. I didn't have Quicktime installed, which it promted me to install before I could add a .mov file. After installation of Quicktime, burning them to DVD worked, but viewing them in the DVD player had the the same choppiness as when I view it in Quicktime. Is this expected or is there anything else I can do? I installed VideoLAN, as suggested on the Aiptek site, and the playback quality was fine (no choppiness). I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5000+ (2.61 GHz) with 2GB RAM.

These are the 4 movies:
action-hd-720p60.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-junglegym.mov
aiptek-action-hd-720p30-lowlight.mov
aiptek-action-hd-1080p30-junglegym.mov

Thanks.
ekeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:31 PM   #208
Junior Member
 
JigoLigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
Default

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Of course class 6 works! Why shouldn't they work?
I have a A-Data class 6 sdhc and it works perfect and fast.


JigoLigo wrote:
Quote:
I read the following at Aiptek's FAQ:

"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible."

Question: Is there a knownissue using a Class 6 card with Action HD?

Thank you for your reply. The FAQ at Aiptek's website says that it support SDHC up to Class 4. I have a Class 6 and I was just wondering if it works well with Action HD - and that's the reason why I asked if there are any issue with Class 6.I'm planning to buy an Action HD before I go away for vacation.
JigoLigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:14 PM   #209
Senior Member
 
pgomberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 110
Default

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
You're shooting at your high-def TV?


pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
you're shooting for " A LINK"

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
Just one interesting thing to note.. I find that in 1080p, the image is NOTICEABLY *clearer* on a high-def unit.


Take a guess at what I am shooting at now?


ahhh... I'm lost... what? :?

HAHAHHAHA. No SILLIES!! I'm shooting at 1080p! LOL!
:|

pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:54 PM   #210
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Default

please could someone tell me if you can buy an aiptek action hd camcorder in uk or does walmart in usa ship them to uk thank you
youthy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:11 AM.