Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:06 PM   #211

Yes, you can buy it from here http://cgi.ebay.it/Aiptek-Action-HD-...3286.m63.l1177
He ships worldwide and he's a great seller.

youthy wrote:
Quote:
please could someone tell me if you can buy an aiptek action hd camcorder in uk or does walmart in usa ship them to uk thank you
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:12 PM   #212

Has anybody bought a replacement battery?
You can find lots of np-60 batteries on ebay, but not every seller states the battery dimensions, besides also knowing the dimensions doesn't make me think it will fit in well.
See this offer for example (2 batteries 1100 mAh at 8,49$ +ship.):
http://cgi.ebay.it/_Accessori-per-Di...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:58 PM   #213

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
You can find lots of np-60 batteries on ebay, but not every seller states the battery dimensions, besides also knowing the dimensions doesn't make me think it will fit in well.
sr71,

The term "NP-60" is a form factor 'standard.' That means that each NP-60 battery will have the same dimensions and same contact placement, size, and (typically) voltage; the capacity (mAh) can vary. So, any NP-60 should fit the Action HD.

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:16 AM   #214

the latest battery of Aiptek the NP-60 that is double hte capacity is the same demension but thicker

NP-60 mah 750-1200 are the safest bet.

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
sr71 wrote:
Quote:
sr71,

The term "NP-60" is a form factor 'standard.' That means that each NP-60 battery will have the same dimensions and same contact placement, size, and (typically) voltage; the capacity (mAh) can vary. So, any NP-60 should fit the Action HD.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 6:56 AM   #215

Yes, np-60 should be a standard, but I 've seen slightly different battery dimensions among some sellers.
I'll try to choose one and will let u know the result.
Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2008, 3:59 AM   #216

what about the bigger battery cover? Don't you need one of those?
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2008, 4:15 PM   #217

I dont think it s needed if using a normal np-60,id est up to 1200-1500 mAh. I believe that is necessary when using bigger battery, such as the 1800mAh one.

pgomberg wrote:
Quote:
what about the bigger battery cover?* Don't you need one of those?
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:05 AM   #218
-J-

Since I got my new SDHC card I've not had a crash - likely due to what you noted... I put the SDHC card in to the camera first to make sure it had a chance to format.

The other one I was temporarilly using was a slower 1 GB SD card - that had been previously used in a Palm device. There could have been some conflicts on there even though I took all of the old files off.

sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Be careful when unplugging the camera from your pc, for example after a file transer from the camera to the pc. Before removing it, be sure there arent any read/write operations and use the "remove it safely" function of Windows (or other Os).
I had problems similar to yours, that is explorer kept crashing while mounting the camera resources and even the camera itself could not recognize the sdhc anymore! That happened because i unplugged the camera from the pc while the card was still being read probably.
I resolved the problem somehow: formatting from the camera,removing the card, removing the battery, rebooting,.... I had to repeat these operations a few times, then the camera found the sdhc again and everything got ok.

-J- wrote
Quote:
Quote:
I could swear I read somewhere that the HD 60 fps needs a Class 6 card to be able to capture that much data as quickly as its produced... that would make sense, but I can't cite exactly where in the specs that comes from

But I don't think I've ready anyone in this forum having a problem with less than a class 6 as well.

I've used a 1 GB SD card and tried it at 60 fps (both DVD quality and 720) and didn't enounter a problem - but then again, if its defaulting to less than 720 or less than 60 fps assuming it can't come up, I'm not sure I would notice short of it giving an error message.

In any event, choosing to be safe than sorry, I went with a Class 6.

I've had intermittent success with my comptuer "recognizing" the camera and camera memory when hooked up through USB - though I think that's a computer issue more so than the camera.

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:10 AM   #219
-J-

I think looking back that I got confused - just bought a new Canon Rebel Xti as well and I think that one calls for a Class 6 (though seems to work fine with a class 4)

So I mistakenly ordered a class 6 8 GB card.

No problems that I've encountered - maybe I slightly overpaid for it - $39 including a reader so I don't always have to use the camera as a reader.

I think Class 4 cards are about $10 cheaper overall. So I've got about 3 hours of capacity at 60 fps - which is pretty cool!

But yes - it does work and no problems that I've encountered yet. But I don't doubt the reading of the specs that it is only rated for a class 4

My take would be that a class 6 reads no faster than a class 4 in this device.

Enjoy your vacation!

JigoLigo wrote:
Quote:
sr71 wrote:
Quote:
Of course class 6 works! Why shouldn't they work?
I have a A-Data class 6 sdhc and it works perfect and fast.

JigoLigo wrote:
Quote:
I read the following at Aiptek's FAQ:

"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible."

Question: Is there a knownissue using a Class 6 card with Action HD?

Thank you for your reply. The FAQ at Aiptek's website says that it support SDHC up to Class 4. I have a Class 6 and I was just wondering if it works well with Action HD - and that's the reason why I asked if there are any issue with Class 6.I'm planning to buy an Action HD before I go away for vacation.
-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 1:23 AM   #220

Greetings everyone, great site....

Just had to post, I'm Revenuer and new to the forum and a little knowledgable about video (very little). Going on Monday to walmart and buying the ActionHD, already got a 8gb card. Some questions to those of you who already have the Actionhd.

1. Anyone use Autogk / Super / Handbrake to convert video taken by the ActionHd for viewing on PS3. I know there is a thread here on "how to" but, i'm familiar w/ these programs already.

2. Says it can record from the tv? Like a tivo? Anyone done this? From broadcast hd? From homemovies dvd's? I've got a jvc minidv already, it's ok.

3. I think if I can convert the .mov files to avi or vob, I can watch them in "hd" on a standard dvd? I also have an Oppo dvd player, it plays avi files, might play other file formats too, i'm not sure.

4. Free editing software? Something like (but not) movie maker?

I might have more questions later. I'm gonna stick around here for a while, nice sight. I like all the samples over at Vimeo. Great scenery of the one w/ the lizard on the mtn. in Oregon.

On a side note, I found "fishycomics" review of a couple of the aipteks on youtube, then somehow or another got to vimeo. Then queried "aiptek forum" via google and found this place...and whaddaya know Mr. Fishycomics is here. Must be some sort of Kevin Bacon degree thing.

Peace be with you,
Revenuer

* Might try and use it at work for "major" crime scenes, I'll have to see the quality at night (read: write off)
revenuer is offline   Reply With Quote