Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:18 PM   #231

The Aiptek Action HD looks like a very interesting camera. I have a couple of questions I need to ask you experts:

1) I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD from walmart and it is apparently used (notices several scratches on the camera and numerous opened elements that were obviously resealed). It may be very old and therefore may be using an old firmware, I cannot tell. However, I have tested several clips I have produced. All crash most programs. I downloaded a clip from this review and they play much more stabily. What could be the cause of this?

2) How do I check the firmware version of the camera and how can it be updated?

3) I have a DVD player that supports divx. Can I create a divx avi file from the mov file at the 1280x720 resolution and play it on my divx dvd player? If so, can this be done without reencoding?

4) Is there a problem with converting from 1280x720x60p to dvd 720x480x29.97(p/i)? A program converting this would not only have to handle the resolution but might have to worry about a jittering effect if it does not merge the extra frames. Has anyone tried this and what are the results? And what program did you use?

5) I like to use avidemux to edit video but it does not support the implementation of the h.264 (hope I remember that correctly) well. Has anyone had success here? What about virtualdub?

Thanks in advance. I look forward to posting some wonderful results to share.
syeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:23 PM   #232

hi i made a dvd with just the software that came with the camera and it automatically converted all my 720p60 footage and 1080i30 footage onto one dvd with a menu and everything dvd plays just fine on any standard dvd players and looks exceptionally good. no jittering or anything. simply use total media extreme if you're just trying to make a regular dvd.
freshkleensucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:36 AM   #233

NeroVision 8 can convert it in a flash. It can even convert it to MPEG2 and convert the audio to dolby 5.1.

syeager wrote:
Quote:
The Aiptek Action HD looks like a very interesting camera.¬* I have a couple of questions I need to ask you experts:

1) I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD from walmart and it is apparently used (notices several scratches on the camera and numerous opened elements that were obviously resealed).¬* It may be very old and therefore may be using an old firmware, I cannot tell.¬* However, I have tested several clips I have produced.¬* All crash most programs.¬* I downloaded a clip from this review and they play much more stabily.¬* What could be the cause of this?

3) I have a DVD player that supports divx.¬* Can I create a divx avi file from the mov file at the 1280x720 resolution and play it on my divx dvd player?¬* If so, can this be done without reencoding?

4) Is there a problem with converting from 1280x720x60p to dvd 720x480x29.97(p/i)?¬* A program converting this would not only have to handle the resolution but might have to worry about a jittering effect if it does not merge the extra frames.¬* Has anyone tried this and what are the results?¬* And what program did you use?

5) I like to use avidemux to edit video but it does not support the implementation of the h.264 (hope I remember that correctly) well.¬* Has anyone had success here?¬* What about virtualdub?

Thanks in advance.¬* I look forward to posting some wonderful results to share.
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:56 PM   #234
-J-

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
NeroVision 8 can convert it in a flash. It can even convert it to MPEG2 and convert the audio to dolby 5.1.

syeager wrote:
Quote:
The Aiptek Action HD looks like a very interesting camera. I have a couple of questions I need to ask you experts:

1) I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD from walmart and it is apparently used (notices several scratches on the camera and numerous opened elements that were obviously resealed). It may be very old and therefore may be using an old firmware, I cannot tell. However, I have tested several clips I have produced. All crash most programs. I downloaded a clip from this review and they play much more stabily. What could be the cause of this?

3) I have a DVD player that supports divx. Can I create a divx avi file from the mov file at the 1280x720 resolution and play it on my divx dvd player? If so, can this be done without reencoding?

4) Is there a problem with converting from 1280x720x60p to dvd 720x480x29.97(p/i)? A program converting this would not only have to handle the resolution but might have to worry about a jittering effect if it does not merge the extra frames. Has anyone tried this and what are the results? And what program did you use?

5) I like to use avidemux to edit video but it does not support the implementation of the h.264 (hope I remember that correctly) well. Has anyone had success here? What about virtualdub?

I wonder if anyone's tried the instructions here as well - might be a good way to use any existing editing software

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

Butseems like some may have tried this and gotten nothing.

Scorbing - can you confirm what version of Nero Visionyou're using?I'm trying to figure out the cheapest version of Nero 8 that willinclude the Nero vision version that will work.

-J- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:13 PM   #235

-J- wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:
Quote:

syeager wrote:
Quote:
The Aiptek Action HD looks like a very interesting camera.¬* I have a couple of questions I need to ask you experts:

1) I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD from walmart and it is apparently used (notices several scratches on the camera and numerous opened elements that were obviously resealed).¬* It may be very old and therefore may be using an old firmware, I cannot tell.¬* However, I have tested several clips I have produced.¬* All crash most programs.¬* I downloaded a clip from this review and they play much more stabily.¬* What could be the cause of this?

3) I have a DVD player that supports divx.¬* Can I create a divx avi file from the mov file at the 1280x720 resolution and play it on my divx dvd player?¬* If so, can this be done without reencoding?

4) Is there a problem with converting from 1280x720x60p to dvd 720x480x29.97(p/i)?¬* A program converting this would not only have to handle the resolution but might have to worry about a jittering effect if it does not merge the extra frames.¬* Has anyone tried this and what are the results?¬* And what program did you use?

5) I like to use avidemux to edit video but it does not support the implementation of the h.264 (hope I remember that correctly) well.¬* Has anyone had success here?¬* What about virtualdub?

I wonder if anyone's tried the instructions here as well - might be a good way to use any existing editing software

¬*

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...62&forum_id=92

¬*
But¬*seems like some may have tried this and gotten nothing.

¬*

Scorbing - can you confirm what version of Nero Vision¬*you're using?¬*¬*I'm trying to figure out the cheapest version of Nero 8 that will¬*include the Nero vision version that will work.
¬*
I am using Nero 8 version 8.3.2.1 - http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-nero8-update.php

The NeroVision version is NeroVision 8. I am telling you, this works like a charm. You can open and edit your Aiptek videos on this without problem but if you want to do some more fancy editing on another editor such as PowerDirector 7, then you can use NeroVision to convert the Aiptek video file to MPEG2 and then you can open it with PowerDirector 7, Windows Movie Maker or whatever you use and edit it and make your movie the way you want it. NeroVision has the fastest MPEG encoder in the world.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:18 PM   #236
-J-

-J- wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:
Quote:

syeager wrote:
Quote:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

Butseems like some may have tried this and gotten nothing.

Scorbing - can you confirm what version of Nero Visionyou're using?I'm trying to figure out the cheapest version of Nero 8 that willinclude the Nero vision version that will work.

I'm not looking for anything fancy - all I want is something thatwill allow for some smoothly faded editing of clips together, and allow me to cut out what I don't want.

It looks to me like Nero 7 does that - just not with .mov files.

Can you confirm that Nero 8 does allthat with .mov?

I know converting everything that the Aiptek makes (i.e. converting .mov to mpeg) would be the cheaper way to go but I'm looking for ease and convenience.

Also - it looks like many products adverstised as Nero 8 suites only come with Nero Vision 5 - which I'm guessing wouldn't do what I need it to.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ner...en&show=dd

Thanks

Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:52 PM   #237

-J- wrote:
Quote:
-J- wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:
Quote:

syeager wrote:
Quote:

¬*

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...62&forum_id=92

¬*
But¬*seems like some may have tried this and gotten nothing.

¬*

Scorbing - can you confirm what version of Nero Vision¬*you're using?¬*¬*I'm trying to figure out the cheapest version of Nero 8 that will¬*include the Nero vision version that will work.
¬*

I'm not looking for anything fancy - all I want is something that¬*will allow for some smoothly faded editing of clips together, and allow me to cut out what I don't want.

Can you confirm that Nero 8 does all¬*that with .mov?

I know converting everything that the Aiptek makes (i.e. converting .mov to mpeg) would be the cheaper way to go but I'm looking for ease and convenience.

Also - it looks like many products adverstised as Nero 8 suites only come with Nero Vision 5 - which I'm guessing wouldn't do what I need it to.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ner...&hl=en&show=dd

Thanks

¬*

Yes, Nero 8 (NeroVision8) will let you edit .MOV files from the Aiptek without a problem. That's what I keep saying on my posts about Nero 8. You can edit your Aiptek .MOV files with it. It has fading effects and everything you need. Try it. You won't regret it.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:40 PM   #238
-J-

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not looking for anything fancy - all I want is something thatwill allow for some smoothly faded editing of clips together, and allow me to cut out what I don't want.

Thanks

Yes, Nero 8 (NeroVision8) will let you edit .MOV files from the Aiptek without a problem. That's what I keep saying on my posts about Nero 8. You can edit your Aiptek .MOV files with it. It has fading effects and everything you need. Try it. You won't regret it.
OK - but just to be clear - there are many products on the market that say Nero 8 Essentials, Nero 8 Suite etc.. those all come with Nero Vision 5 - NOT Nero Vision 8

I'm trying to see if there's any way to buy just Nero Vision 8 but I've yet to find it for sale

I'm wondering if what you have is Nero Vision 5 that comes with Nero 8Suite

http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-applic...-included.html
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:50 PM   #239

-J- wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:¬*
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not looking for anything fancy - all I want is something that¬*will allow for some smoothly faded editing of clips together, and allow me to cut out what I don't want.

Can you confirm that Nero 8 does all¬*that with .mov?

http://www.google.com/products?q=ner...&hl=en&show=dd

Thanks

¬*

OK - but just to be clear - there are many products on the market that say Nero 8 Essentials, Nero 8 Suite¬* etc.. those all come with Nero Vision 5 - NOT Nero Vision 8

I'm trying to see if there's any way to buy just Nero Vision 8 but I've yet to find it for sale

I'm wondering if what you have is Nero Vision 5 that comes with Nero 8¬*Suite

¬*http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-applic...-included.html

Nero 8 Ultra Edition has EVERYTHING you need. Trust me.

Link: http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-introduction.html

You can buy it at BestBuy or online at Newegg.com
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:46 PM   #240
-J-

scorbing wrote:
Quote:
-J- wrote:
Quote:
scorbing wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

OK - but just to be clear - there are many products on the market that say Nero 8 Essentials, Nero 8 Suite etc.. those all come with Nero Vision 5 - NOT Nero Vision 8

I'm wondering if what you have is Nero Vision 5 that comes with Nero 8Suite

Nero 8 Ultra Edition has EVERYTHING you need. Trust me.

Link: http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-introduction.html

You can buy it at BestBuy or online at Newegg.com
OK - That means its Nero Vision 5 you're using... so a much cheaper version of Nero 8 should suffice as opposed to Ultra.