Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 18, 2008, 8:12 PM   #271

Edius pro 4 will edit 720 60fps mov files but you have to disable the "stop playing feature detects dropped frames" feature under the settings menu.

Tried videoing moving mirrors with the action HD and got ridiculous amount of focus transitioning.

A simple firmware adjustment option to switch it off would add incredible profits to Aiptek's coffers.

Kind of a no-brainer.

chemosavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:12 PM   #272

Here's some test footage of the Aiptek Action HD.

http://www.vimeo.com/1407941
http://www.vimeo.com/1408105

For a no-frills, cheap consumer HD video camera, it can't be beat for the price. Sure, the auto focus, lack of image stabilization, and poor low-light shooting are drawbacks, but whaddaya want for $200? It's the perfect vacation option... I certainly wouldn't want to take my pro gear out with me and risk losing it on a plane or dropping it in the ocean or something!

I work for a TV station in Texas. All the guys in my office ran out and grabbed this when it came out. We all use Final Cut Pro to edit at home and at work. We're currently trying to figure out the best way to get these clips into FCP for editing.

It seems that since these clips are H.264, which is only a delivery format, your best bet is to convert the clip back out using Compressor... I tried the Apple ProRes 422 setting. The conversion only took a minute but the file size was considerably bigger! Anyway, importing this into a DVCPRO 1080p30 sequence, I was able to playback and edit in real time without rendering.

The other option I've explored is to bring the unconverted clips into a XDCAM HD 422 1080p30 sequence in FCP. I can edit this way but it requires
a pretty long render to playback anything in real time (and I'm working on an 8-core system!) Seems best to batch convert your clips first and then bring them in for editing. Just make sure you have plenty of storage space!

Please keep in mind... the fact that we're all figuring out these questions together simply underlines the fact that this is pretty new technology for consumers, and no one really has any solid answers yet because all possible avenues have not been tested with this stuff. The cool thing to remember is that you're capturing nice HD clips that you can store for the future as editing & codec technology catches up...
TX TV guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:07 PM   #273

Based on this review and reading this forum, I just purchased the Aiptek Action HD 1080P. So far, I have noticed two things that make me want to get my money back.

I hooked it up to my TV so I could monitor the output. Siting perfectly still about 12 feet away, with no zoom, the focus searches back and fourth quite a bit.

Second, the audio recording is very low. There is
quite a bit of noise in the playback that was not present in the room at the time of the recording. It sounds like a loud hiss. To confirm that it was not my TV or hookup I listened to the playback directly from the camera speaker. Even with my ear right up to the speaker the audio is barely hearable although the hiss is hearable.

Just yesterday I did the same thing with a friends Canon A720 IS and it worked perfectly. No focus problems and very good audio.

So far I am not impressed at all. Does anyone have anything to suggest?

BUYERCHOICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2008, 9:50 PM   #274

I have to believe that it would not be stretch for Aiptek to modify a few lines of code to disable the auto-focus. It's just a motor of some sort run by code. Very tempted to rip it open and clip a wire or two.

Major problem solved.

Tried FCP, Vegas pro, Premiere cs3, Edius pro, and Edius Broadcast to work with the clips. Edius Broadcast does it hands down no problem but it renders at 1/2 speed as a result of the 60fps so you must change the speed/time of the clips.

chemosavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:03 AM   #275

Just got one of these after reading all the feedback posted here on the forum. Overall I'm pretty happy with the device. I was able to add a magnetic wide angle lens onto the camera and it did solve two things. Number one, I can now film in HD without a tripod and still have the video look somewhat stable. Without the lens filming without a tripod looks real jittery. Number two, when filming @ 1080P/30FPS I noticed that everything was real close to the camera. I had to back up two additional feet as opposed to 720P. Here is a link to my video with the wide angle lens attached:

http://www.vimeo.com/1413837

D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:14 AM   #276

Welcome aboard D1........

yes as always we talked about this and seemedto just fade away about a lens with a closer recording spot, if they can just adjust to the distance we be happier, I also would love to see an attachment or switch for a wide angle LOL.

Chem.......

If the motor gets cut:

will the optical zoom work is it for the zoom or focus? I am not sure if the focus is motor driven and zoom electronic, that be something you will have to test out ?

also

if you have the cam on/off will it be in/out of focus, an adjustment has to be made when turning on/off.

would love to find out as well

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:
Just got one of these after reading all the feedback posted here on the forum. Overall I'm pretty happy with the device. I was able to add a magnetic wide angle lens onto the camera and it did solve two things. Number one, I can now film in HD without a tripod and still have the video look somewhat stable. Without the lens filming without a tripod looks real jittery. Number two, when filming @ 1080P/30FPS I noticed that everything was real close to the camera. I had to back up two additional feet as opposed to 720P. Here is a link to my video with the wide angle lens attached:

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 10:52 AM   #277

In response to Buyerchoice: It's true that the autofocus and poor audio recording are big drawbacks. Once Aiptek starts adding more options and controls, I'm sure we'll see the price of the cameras increase. I am mainly using this thing to capture some nice outdoor shots in full 1080.

If you really want something that gives you more control over audio and focus, you might be better off trying something else. A lot of the basic DV videocameras now have pretty good audio and focus controls for a similar price... you just won't be getting the HD image quality.

Also remember that the auto focus will work a lot harder to find its focal point in indoor lighting situations. This camera really shines for outdoor use (or a well-lit interior) and really is useless for indoor low-light.
TX TV guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:35 PM   #278

Nicely said.

I always look at my Aip IS-DV. why I do not shoot more video with it , can easily be said video quality of the A-HD+ for me.

I am learning and hope others have the same fun as I and find it a little more work to do video editing. using a voice recorder. You can get a whole lot more in with seerate units but we do not want to crry a ton of stuff.

TX TV guy wrote:
Quote:
In response to Buyerchoice: It's true that the autofocus and poor audio recording are big drawbacks. Once Aiptek starts adding more options and controls, I'm sure we'll see the price of the cameras increase. I am mainly using this thing to capture some nice outdoor shots in full 1080.

If you really want something that gives you more control over audio and focus, you might be better off trying something else. A lot of the basic DV videocameras now have pretty good audio and focus controls for a similar price... you just won't be getting the HD image quality.

Also remember that the auto focus will work a lot harder to find its focal point in indoor lighting situations. This camera really shines for outdoor use (or a well-lit interior) and really is useless for indoor low-light.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:18 PM   #279

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Welcome aboard D1........

yes as always we talked about this and seemedto just fade away about a lens with a closer recording spot, if they can just adjust to the distance we be happier, I also would love to see an attachment or switch for a wide angle LOL.

Chem.......

If the motor gets cut:

will the optical zoom work is it for the zoom or focus? I am not sure if the focus is motor driven and zoom electronic, that be something you will have to test out ?

also

if you have the cam on/off will it be in/out of focus, an adjustment has to be made when turning on/off.

would love to find out as well

D1PHAM wrote:
Quote:

Here is a picture of my Action HD with a wide angle lens.

Attached Images

D1PHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 1:52 AM   #280

Sweet , where did you get that little W/A lens?
jra111 is offline   Reply With Quote