Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:31 PM   #21

For Sony Platinum 8 make a copy of the file and rename it with a .MP4 extension. That might work though I think sometimes even those will crash. We should probably log in to their forum and report the bug. It leaves quite a log so we can send that too. They're doing something wrong when it comes to QuickTime files.

I think you'll find these little cameras pretty neat in ways you never would with a larger or more expensive camera.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:15 PM   #22
FLG

How about "screen door effect" in low light?
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:30 PM   #23

Well, I've never understood this "low light" shooting thing.

First, very few cameras today -- especially small ones -- perform well in low light situations.

Second, one can manage to get some decent video by adding some... drum roll... light to the scene.

Even my Sony HDR-UX1 struggles in low light.

The thing that's amazing is to compare the size of the Aiptek Action HD to the Sony HDR-UX1.

I love the Sony model, but it's as big as a brick!

There's no way I could put that in my pocket.

The Aiptek Action HD is quite small...

Sony's forthcoming hybrid will probably beat the Aiptek when it comes to image quality.

But remember... that one costs many times what the Aiptek Action HD costs.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:46 PM   #24
FLG

Low light is like living room light,birthday party,family reunion ,
in which you don't need to climb the walls to exchange light bulbs.
BTW zoom noise in mine is pretty significant not so bad like my former
GO-HD but disturbing in a silent environment.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:01 PM   #25
FLG

Right now I play with Jazz clips HDV188 and I will make a DVD to see how is on big TV. Until now from what I see Jazz has a better image than Action HD also sound is much better.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:09 PM   #26

Well, I've downloaded several of those Jazz clips.

1. There's no way the sound is better because you're starting with a far lower sampling rate -- 22Khz (Jazz) vs. 48Khz (Aiptek Action HD). The Jazz sound seems muffled to me.

2. The Jazz clips appear to be recorded at a lower video data rate; I see significant artifacting in some of the clips.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:12 PM   #27

I've noted a glowing red horizontal line appears at the bottom of Aiptek .MOV > Cineform .AVI Intermediate renders.

Seems to be a Cineform issue. The line appears from files rendered by both Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 and Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:13 PM   #28

HDGuy,

Thanks!

Your renaming tip worked.

It seems I can now import the files now without crashing Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8.

It also seems that horizontal red line that flutters at the bottom of the video frame in Cineform .AVI exports was due to a setting in Windows Media Player. I chose hardware DirectX acceleration and a couple of other changes and the red line no longer appears.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:45 AM   #29

Hi all,

Thanks all the reviews. So what is the difference(s) between the Action HD and the A-HD+ ? I know they are $50 difference. Which one I should buy? Thanks.
DC_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:35 AM   #30

Welcome aboard DC_....

AF (auto focus) electronic macro switch, 1000 mah battery, battery life, option for larger battery and door. tht should be the difference of the Action mic 3x optical

Fixed focus, manual macro, 1200 battery no option for the battery door but larger battery and make your own door.mic Plus 2-4x digitall

there is no difference in the models of any features, and functions at all, the same.

there is a difference in the Model that I know of, the Plus just does not have an optical zoom and should give you a longer battery life. different bodys

DC_newbie wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all the reviews. So what is the difference(s) between the Action HD and the A-HD+ ? I know they are $50 difference. Which one I should buy? Thanks.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote