Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 29, 2008, 11:33 PM   #351

Great review. Really helpful! I can't believe it was your first! It seems like you own both the A-HD+ and this Action HD. Which one is better? It seems that I can pretty much get the two of them for the same price. The Action has Optical zoom, which is super nice. Does the A-HD have something to make it worth the same price as the Action since it's zoom is only digital?

I do not understand what to do. I'm certain I want one of these Aiptek HD camcorders, but I'm not sure which one! There's the A-HD+, the Action HD, the Action HD GVS, and the Action HD pro!

Could somebody please explain to me how all of these cameras are related? Any kind of comparative review or suggestion would help me greatly!
rebeccafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:13 PM   #352

rebeccafp wrote:
Quote:
Great review. Really helpful! I can't believe it was your first! It seems like you own both the A-HD+ and this Action HD. Which one is better? It seems that I can pretty much get the two of them for the same price. The Action has Optical zoom, which is super nice. Does the A-HD have something to make it worth the same price as the Action since it's zoom is only digital?

I do not understand what to do. I'm certain I want one of these Aiptek HD camcorders, but I'm not sure which one! There's the A-HD+, the Action HD, the Action HD GVS, and the Action HD pro!

Could somebody please explain to me how all of these cameras are related? Any kind of comparative review or suggestion would help me greatly!
I have the Action HD, but if I could exchange it for the Action HD GVS, I would. Go image stabilization!!! and I THINK it also has stereo audio. Oh and I think it also has 5X optical zoom. Also I saw that the Action HD GVS can do about 4X closer macro than the normal Action HD. The Action HD does 2 inches close, the GVS 0.4 inches.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:56 PM   #353

I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD the other day and I'm fighting with some strange behavior that I don't really understand.

When I'm shooting something with low detail and contrast the video is captured at the intended 30fps. Silky smooth. But as soon as the camera is pointed at something like a picture on a wall. . . it stutters down to about 15fps and sometimes lower. :sad:

http://www.eggington.net/~wegg/Stutter.MOV

Sample of what I'm talking about.

Advance frames by frame by using the arrow keys in Quicktime and you can see that frames are doubled up in the areas that are stuttering.

This was using the 720p 30fps mode which really shouldn't tax a camera capable of doing 1080p.

I tried different SD cards, lighting etc. It just chokes down to lower frame rates when there is more detail. Is this "normal" for this camera? I know I didn't pay a whole lot of money for the thing but I was expecting it to at least . . . . work.

Wegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 6:13 PM   #354
awp

As a new owner of an Action HD, I've been reading the posts here and it sounded like many prefer Magix Movie Edit Pro to do their editing since very few products will even take the .mov files from Aiptek.

I saw MEP 14 on sale at Frys.com for $19.99 and was thinking of picking it up.Is it really worth it to pay the extra $25 to get the "plus" version (which they have at Amazon for $45.99. Seemslike both will create HD discs...but only the "plus" version will do AVCHD (which I'm not sure we really care about with our file type).

Thanks!
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:03 PM   #355

Ask Rgvcam. he got 14.

the only difference I see is the 99 transition andeffects. nothing more

awp wrote:
Quote:
As a new owner of an Action HD, I've been reading the posts here and it sounded like many prefer Magix Movie Edit Pro to do their editing since very few products will even take the .mov files from Aiptek.

I saw MEP 14 on sale at Frys.com for $19.99 and was thinking of picking it up.Is it really worth it to pay the extra $25 to get the "plus" version (which they have at Amazon for $45.99. Seemslike both will create HD discs...but only the "plus" version will do AVCHD (which I'm not sure we really care about with our file type).

Thanks!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:31 PM   #356

I just purchased an Aiptek Action HD 1080p. I also considered the Walmart special Sanyo and now the new Aiptek GVS. I actually have the Memorex from Radio Shack and it's going back.. it's horrible!!

My question is how to determine video bitrate so I can compare these. When i click on <properties> it says n/a for video (and audio) bitrate.

thanks.
thushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:45 PM   #357

Hello,
Okay, well i current own an aiptek action HD and so far I really like it. I use it for making skate(actually scooter) videos and that is what I bought it for. Now there a few things I am wondering about what I should do and questions I have. (o yeah and by the way I know, I would say, a mediocre amount of info on video and editing)

1) It seems like 30 fps is not fast enough for the videos I am trying to make. I have taking videos of a kid whipping a scooter deck around 4 times in a matter of 2 seconds and it is clearly impossible to count to the human eye. I am just wondering if the spin would look "cleaner" if I did the 60 fps option. When I tried this I hated the quality of the video compared to the 1080p... so idk whether I should use 1080p or 720p 60 fps.... GAH

2) I use a mac(imovie HD not the newer version) and so far it seems like i figured out the right settings to make a good video usable on Vimeo. But can anybody tell me what settings they do to achieve good videos using imovie and compress to under 500mb(for vimeo purpoise) without killing quality?

3) anybody have links to good fisheye lens that will work for the Action HD (im guessing they have to be magnetic or something)

4) O YEAH I totally forgot about this. Today and really since I have had mine it completely stops videoing after around 1 minute of footage... and it says file failed... WTF. it realllyyy annoying because I missed a bunch of shots because of that. I think it is the SD card I am using but I do not know. I am using my parents 8 gb new sd card. it is PNY Optima SD HC(idk what that means) I am going to get a 4 gb sized SD for me and can someone give me a link of the best one I can get... or just the one I should get

5) any info I should know about using this with macs, imovie, and skate videos.

THANKS A MILLION!!!!

- josh
jnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:36 AM   #358

while using the Action via usb port. fo a solid 3 weeks, prior to that on/off from the day I owned it a good 6 months give or take.

Finally the USB cover seperates apart, in hand rather on the go using it. too lightto hear it fall and drop on floor.

This is not the first cover of the camera that fell off, since day one the MPVr did the same. USB cover will be placed to the side. and placed on ata later time when cam is not being used.

The cover off, allows better placement of ports to be plugged in without worrying about it breaking off again. so leaving off only exposes one additional plug while the hd port is covered by the plug/
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:37 PM   #359

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
while using the Action via usb port. fo a solid 3 weeks, prior to that on/off from the day I owned it a good┬* 6 months┬* give or take.

Finally the USB cover seperates apart,┬* in hand rather on the go using it. too lightto hear it fall and drop on floor.

This is not the first cover of┬* the camera that fell off, since day one the MPVr did the same. USB cover will be placed to the side. and placed on ata later time when cam is not being used.

The cover off, allows better placement of┬*┬* ports to be┬*┬* plugged in without worrying┬* about it breaking off again. so leaving off┬* only exposes one additional plug while the hd port is covered by the plug/
im sorry. but what the heck are you talking about?
jnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:29 AM   #360

the Life of the Action HD. follow the thread ............

jnathan wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
while using the Action via usb port. fo a solid 3 weeks, prior to that on/off from the day I owned it a good 6 months give or take.

Finally the USB cover seperates apart, in hand rather on the go using it. too lightto hear it fall and drop on floor.

This is not the first cover of the camera that fell off, since day one the MPVr did the same. USB cover will be placed to the side. and placed on ata later time when cam is not being used.

The cover off, allows better placement of ports to be plugged in without worrying about it breaking off again. so leaving off only exposes one additional plug while the hd port is covered by the plug/
im sorry. but what the heck are you talking about?