Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:38 PM   #31

Fishy, I seem to remember you asked about the battery in the Action HD.

I have it here in front of me.

It's a model NP60 1000mAh.

On another note...

I've done some more testing with this camcorder.

The CMOS rolling shutter artifact is pronounced when you shoot in the 720/30p at 4Mbps.

However, the CMOS rolling shutter artifact is dramatically reduced when you shoot in the 720/60p at 6Mbps.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:39 PM   #32

I should add...

The D1 mode of the Aiptek Action HD is pretty cool.

It's 720 x 480 at 4Mbps... H.264... 16:9... 60 frames per second.

So it's basically the perfect format for DVD.

These clips work on the Mac without any issues.

On my Windows PC, I can import the clips successfully into Corel's Ulead MediaStudio Pro 8 and Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

They crash my Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 right down to the ground.

And even when I use HDGuy's trick to rename the .MOV extension to .MP4, I can only import the video... not the audio.

I've reported the issue to the Sony Creative Software tech support.

Also, I've reported the issue regarding the fluttering red line that appears at the bottom of the 16:9 frame when converting the Aiptek 720/60p clips to Cineform .avi intermediate format.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:12 AM   #33

Thank you. it is confirmed Aiptek wants you to get he additional 1600 battery and door from them, when they could have just added this to their pkg, they already taken away the additional one.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Fishy, I seem to remember you asked about the battery in the Action HD.

I have it here in front of me.

It's a model NP60 1000mAh.

On another note...

I've done some more testing with this camcorder.

The CMOS rolling shutter artifact is pronounced when you shoot in the 720/30p at 4Mbps.

However, the CMOS rolling shutter artifact is dramatically reduced when you shoot in the 720/60p at 6Mbps.

Private Idaho
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:18 AM   #34

sfritzinger wrote:
Quote:
drd403,

The shimmer/flicker/'maggot' :-) effect can be caused by sensor noise and very high / poor compression.
I think, one more cause - interlace. Fortunately, with this progressive camera, the nightmare of interlaced video is behind.

Quote:
Easiest way to see it is to hand-hold and point your camcorder at a wall that is textured. If the camcorder doesn't have a good quality sensor or compression engine, you will see small blocks which have a lot of noise on their edges. This is the first digital camcorder I've owned that does not obviously exhibit this problem (not bad for $200!). The files are definitely not processed :-) They are straight from the camcorder
Sure I was kidding. Just hard to bevieve that $200 camcorder can do that. My old Sony MiniDV, what I've bought for $900, produces a lot of shimmer/flicker/'maggots' .

Quote:
And if I had access to the firmware, I'd add in some more stuff that would make this my own killer camcorder at any price :-)
Bitrate? :-) What else?
drd403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:48 AM   #35

Anybody knows, what Ambarella chip is inside? I guess it's to early for the 3rd generation new ones:
http://www.ambarella.com/news/press_...r_01282008.htm http://www.ambarella.com/news/press_...r_01072008.htm
(but it would be nice :-)).

On another hand, older chips doesn't support 1080p, just 1080i:
http://www.ambarella.com/news/press_...r_01082007.htm
In this case, how this camcoder makes 1080p - deinterlace, resize? (regardless of, does this job very well).
drd403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:08 PM   #36

As I've posted on this forum before the firmware updates seem to mainly be from Ambarella so you can puruse them with a hex editor and see some interesting stuff. The firmwares I downloaded for the GO and A HD cameras had 1080 stuff mentioned in them for debugging, etc. Ambarella probably sells a development kit that a camera manufacturer can use to develop and camera and probably pay a license to sell product using a chip at a certain level. I also note the similarity between the Aiptek cameras and other brands which makes with suspect that some possibly Asian company develops the cameras and then sells the product to OEMs rebranded. It could even be Aiptek but I would have to do more research on their business.

As an example I was a technical director for a major game company in the 1990s and had a representative from a company I'd never heard of pay a visit and it turned out that company developed and manufactured CD-ROM drives for a majority of the major electronics companies.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Quote:
And if I had access to the firmware, I'd add in some more stuff that would make this my own killer camcorder at any price :-)
Bitrate? :-) What else?
- up the bitrates ... but I'm not sure if the chipset would allow that.

- allow a fixed focus setting (something to press when recording such that the focus will not adjust until I press the button again or I stop recording)

- a sliding/adaptive focus when zooming. Chances are that when you zoom, you already have your subject in focus. The zoom should adjust the focus so that the camera will keep the same object in focus throughout the zoom. Of course, you need a threshold which will force a refocus if you happen to zoom when out of focus.

- Enable/disable macro, LED light, white balance and low light setting when recording (instead of before recording)

- Change the file extensions from .MOV to .MP4 (MP4 is really MOV with some extensions). This would make Media Player handle them without having to rename them. Sounds like this would fix some other video editors/players as well.

I think I'm missing a few but don't get me wrong: this camcorder is a very nice package as-is.

sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:53 AM   #38

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Hi Fishy, Thanks for the welcome. I couldn't wait and went ahead and bought the A-HD+ at Best Buy tonight. I will charge the battery later. After I recorded something, can I use Window Movie Maker to edit it and then upload into Vimeo directly or I need other software(s) or program. Thanks.
Quote:
Welcome aboard DC_....

AF (auto focus) electronic macro switch, 1000 mah battery, battery life, option for larger battery and door. tht should be the difference of the Action mic 3x optical

Fixed focus, manual macro, 1200 battery no option for the battery door but larger battery and make your own door.mic Plus 2-4x digitall

there is no difference in the models of any features, and functions at all, the same.

there is a difference in the Model that I know of, the Plus just does not have an optical zoom and should give you a longer battery life. different bodys

DC_newbie wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks all the reviews. So what is the difference(s) between the Action HD and the A-HD+ ? I know they are $50 difference. Which one I should buy? Thanks.
Quote:
DC_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:01 AM   #39

Hey guys,

First off I would like to say thank you. You've all been a big help.

I have a few questions about the audio on this camera.

I noticed while looking at other cameras that the Aiptek A-HD+ had a video\audio sync issue. Does this camera have the same issue?

How is the audio on this camera when a person is 3-5 ft. away? I mainly want to use this camera to film me and my friends, like just talking with them sort of a thing. I also may want to record myself or friends playing the guitar. And I was curious as to how well it picks up the notes.

Thanks again for all your help.
TheSilentNarrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:12 PM   #40

As far as I know, not one of us has detected any audio/video sync issues.

I haven't.

Private Idaho