Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:38 PM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5cl View Post
Hi there!
I just want to share my experience with the Aiptek GVS also known as Aiptek Z700.
Buying it on ebay for only 113€ makes it quite a bargain i believe.
Regarding the camera's looks I'm satisfied, however this has not been my major reason for purchasing this particular camera. Especially the black version which is the only one being sold in Germany appears only half as cheap as it is The other side of the coin is that the shiny black plastic is easily being scratched not to mention that it is an extraordinary thumbprint magnet. When using the camcorder you will notice that smooth zooming is hard to do since the button for this is hard to push which will result in shook footage, especially if you already have zoomed in a lot. In my eyes the display is huge but you have to look at it from a somewhat awkward angle, otherwise everything appears much to dark. Furthermore the EIS does only little i think. It is not to be compared with real, physical image stabilization. Considering the lens cap that comes with the cam one thinks there ought to be something to attach its strap to but i can't imagine where. Unfortunately there seems to be bug: If you turn the camera on and immediately try to record a video you might get an error saying "low battery" or that your SD card is too slow, even though i use a genuine SanDisk Ultra II 4GB. Considering the camera's low price i find the low light performance bearable although a LED video lamp would be a very nice feature. In spite of these negative aspects the camera has some stuff on the pro-side, too: In contrast to the bad audio quality (overdrive), the video quality in well lit environement is very pleasing, even at lower resolution it still looks nice. After all I'd prefer it over a miniDV camcorder since the video recording via firewire is nothing but bothersome. What i also liked was the remote that came with the Aiptek but i haven't really testet it yet. Another con is the missing winding for filters and other additional equipment

Recently I bought a quad-core computer and wanted to edit my footage in Adobe Premiere but still it's not running as smooth as I expected which is probably due to the h.264 codec that requires a LOT of power:/

Welcome aboard. P5....
this is the Aiptek action Hd known as the AHD300, you posted in. no bigge

GVS Z700 thread
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...5s-review.html

Wiping my forehead. thinking I was the only one that seen those issues. glad its not just me.
they do go away the sdhc speed will, but nott he fast start up of low batt. I explained that over and over, guess i was not to their level of a kindergarden grad. lol/

happy you enjoy the cam

Last edited by fishycomics; Nov 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 5:57 AM   #392

Hi, I want to buy this model to record from my car and I have a few questions:
1. can it charge when it's recording? I mean if battery is low and I plug in the usb from my car, can it record?
2. what's the average battery life?
3. is there a movie limit? for eg I have a photo camera and it records 2GB maximum/movie and it's pretty annoying to make more smaller movies instead of a bigger one
4. colour quality and other opinions
thanks
airmike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 4:09 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmike01 View Post
Hi, I want to buy this model to record from my car and I have a few questions:
1. can it charge when it's recording? I mean if battery is low and I plug in the usb from my car, can it record?

Yes you are able to record, and charge. using a usb to dc plug
2. what's the average battery life?

the test i did 50 minutesHD 1hr 10 min lower res. an average of 50 minutes. can get a good hour give or take. when bat starts wearing less time

3. is there a movie limit? for eg I have a photo camera and it records 2GB maximum/movie and it's pretty annoying to make more smaller movies instead of a bigger one

I believe till the sdhc card runs out if you got a 8 gb it wil lrecord till the 8gb. and not close at 3.74gb ,or till battery runs out. the video will be saved on low battery and drop or shut off.
4. colour quality and other opinions

this may be prefrence with firmware out and for the price it does its job.
thanks
Welcome aboard in red I answered with my opinion, hoping others will chime in. I have two of these, and I may opt to swap for a gopro if the reasons of sports. I say look into your options, you may want a gopro for sports vs a gvs just an opinion
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:18 PM   #394

Been looking at my gvs in its case. I do not think I will be removing one of her I got two. For a long time. Just collects dust. I miss using it. Not gonna cry if I miss her. At. E time to depart with her and say it has been fun Aiptek would I give up on future purchases no. Just nothing new has been released no contact with Aiptek and sad to go this route. Enjoy
Old Dec 3, 2012, 5:48 PM   #395

Default DOF 35mm adapter on GVS?

Hi, I have the action hd gvs (silver) and I have a clip on wide lense adapter that works nice. However, I want to be able to get DOF like the higher end camcorders get, usually by adding a 35mm lense of some sort. I know this would look big on a mini camcorder such as the GVS, butonce I found a video (maybe on YouTube?) that someone had a set of adapter rings for lenses to so you could use a bigger or smaller lense. He glued the 35mm ring onto the GVS (since there is no threads for lenses) and then the lense onto the ring adapter. He didn't show any video to see the results, but I think it worked fine. Is there any suggestions on how to get the DOF look on the GVS? Or the 35mm lense adapter on a GVS? Thanks in advance!
prizm is offline   Reply With Quote