Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:17 PM   #41

By the way, the Aiptek Action HD Quicktime .MOV format crashes the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 program down to the ground.

You can rename the extension to .MP4, but that allows for the video to be imported without the audio.

Sony just got back to me and admitted their software does not support the Aiptek .MOV format.

They said they are "considering" adding support for it, however.

Meanwhile, one can edit the clips in Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus and other video editing software.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 1:04 PM   #42

Do what I do. Install Quicktime Alternative 2.5.1 and use Cyberlink PowerDirector 6 to do all your editing. It works great.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
By the way, the Aiptek Action HD Quicktime .MOV format crashes the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 8 program down to the ground.

You can rename the extension to .MP4, but that allows for the video to be imported without the audio.

Sony just got back to me and admitted their software does not support the Aiptek .MOV format.

They said they are "considering" adding support for it, however.

Meanwhile, one can edit the clips in Corel Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus and other video editing software.

Private Idaho
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 5:53 PM   #43

Hi,

So I can't use Widnow Movie Maker to audit the Aiptek file?

BTW, I realized that the Action HD model is in stock on the Walmart site. So I returned the HD+ to Best Buy and ordered the other one from Walmart.
DC_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:18 PM   #44

Good choice on the Action HD. As far as Windows Movie Maker....it sucks dude. Use Cyberlink's PowerDirector 6.

DC_newbie wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

So I can't use Widnow Movie Maker to audit the Aiptek file?

BTW, I realized that the Action HD model is in stock on the Walmart site. So I returned the HD+ to Best Buy and ordered the other one from Walmart.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:47 PM   #45

Thanks, I will download the trial version to see if I like it first.
DC_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:56 AM   #46

Hi Guys,

A quick question, this cam seems ideal to get for my wife to use for recording our children. However I am from the UK and there seems to be a different naming scheme in place.

The ones being advertised as HD and new releases are the following:

http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...137&Itemid=226

and:

http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...160&Itemid=277

From looking at the Specs it looks like the AHD Z500 PLUS is the EU version of the Action HD 1080p but I am not 100% sure, any comments clearing this up would be welcome. Especially as the EU price is far more expensive compared to the $ price.

Cheers.
JustinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:04 AM   #47

Made the HUGE mistake of impulse-buying this camera and I am utterly dissapointed.

The construction is extremely cheap. All plastics. Feels insecure (my xacti cg65 is much smaller and you feel in control), I simply couldn't keep the shaking outof the video (been doing pro vid for many years, so I have a steady hand)... I can only imagine what the average video-user clips will look like.

Then there's the MOV format. Blows my mind. A lot of noise in low light situations. Couldn't lock the focus Therefore, the AF is always hunting/draining battery.
The camera is really blind at night. Even in a well lit room, everything will look washed out and dark. The lens needs a lot of light (as in, sun up in the sky) to get anything decent.

Close the LCD = recording stops

To top it off, WalmarK sold me this as new. Paid retail price only to find double plastic stickers in the box (as in, the first sticker was broken already, so they slapped a new one on top), and when I pulled the cam out, there were scratches on the body and all. I doubt the battery was new too

Needless to say, the cam is going back tomorrow morning.. less than 20 hours later :G

Still looking for the magical HD hybrid
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:04 AM   #48

Very happy with mine.

Please be aware some models may *appear* to be scuffed; but they're not.

There is a very thin layer of protective plastic on the side panels, etc.

Peel off those layers of plastic and the "scuff marks" disappear.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:59 AM   #49

Private Idaho this is very true. Mine looked scratched but it was not. It was the plastic layer on it.

Subc wrote: "Made the HUGE mistake of impulse-buying this camera and I am utterly dissapointed"

Subc: Dude what exactly do you expect from a cheap $200.00 HD camcorder? No one ever said it was perfect, but out of all those "cheap" camcorders out there, this one is the best. I have no issues with it and of course the autofocus is going to constantly try to focus on dark areas. Its logical. The human eye has to focus constantly on dark areas as well. Try recording on daylight at 720p with 60fps and you will see it does a great job at it.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Very happy with mine.

Please be aware some models may *appear* to be scuffed; but they're not.

There is a very thin layer of protective plastic on the side panels, etc.

Peel off those layers of plastic and the "scuff marks" disappear.

Private Idaho
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:32 PM   #50

Another thing to note about low-light recording: make sure you are recording at 30fps. The 60fps mode is slightly darker (as expected).

For low-light, it is hard to get anything that is near the quality of analog tape due to high compression and the compression algorithms themselves.
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote