Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:58 PM   #51

Does the power adapter plugged into the mini-USB provide enough power to run the camera, or at least delay the discharge of the battery? One hour of battery and two hours of shooting seems a mismatch, surely? The Sanyo HD700 has a power-in connector on the camera which will power the camera indefinitely from the power adaptor.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:06 PM   #52

Decide to keep this little camcorder. The main reasons are:

1. small, light weight. Can be kept on my pocket to bring anywhere. Compare to my old sharp miniDV camcorder, I think I am willing to bring it outmorefrequently.

2. video resolution is far better than my sharp miniDV. But still far away from the real HD contents. But for the price, I am OK with that. Color is equal or little less than my sharp miniDV. Indoor noise is worse too. Use this little camcorderoutdoor or turn on all lights whenyou needto shoot indoor.

3. I have found a way to convert aiptek .mov file to mpeg2 to make DVD. I will believe the DVD quality will be better than my sharp miniDV. And I don't need to spend $600 dollors to upgrade my pc.

If you compare this little camcorderto canon, sony current HD models, you will be very disappointed. But compare to the most of miniDV, this one is good to own.

Some majors cons:

1. Zoom noise, Slow zoom. Use optical zoom better in outdoor only. believe me

2. Slow focus even in daytime.

3. cheap construction.

4. Bad performance in low light.

fcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:23 PM   #53

Questions for those who own this camera (mine is being shipped):
1) How is the battery life? (i.e. what has been your experience in terms of battery life)
2) AF performance (I personally hate fixed focus, and so chose the Action HD for the AF... how would you describe its performance? How long does it take to properly focus? Does it hunt? Does it lock onto the wrong thing?
3) Is the sound quality better than the Aiptek A-HD (720p) camera?

Thanks!
petehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:46 PM   #54

1. Sound quality is much improved, in my opinion.

2. Auto-focus is a bit sluggish, but I can make it work for the type of shooting I do.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:08 PM   #55

I haven't had a real chance to really test it since I have been busy at work but this weekend I am going to test the hell out of it and I will let you know what I find.

As long as the AF works and does its job correctly, I don't think I will have any issues since I know the video quality at 720p-60fps looks great from the sample videos I saw here.

petehammer wrote:
Quote:
Questions for those who own this camera (mine is being shipped):
1) How is the battery life? (i.e. what has been your experience in terms of battery life)
2) AF performance (I personally hate fixed focus, and so chose the Action HD for the AF... how would you describe its performance? How long does it take to properly focus? Does it hunt? Does it lock onto the wrong thing?
3) Is the sound quality better than the Aiptek A-HD (720p) camera?

Thanks!
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:00 AM   #56

Private Idaho, I tried installing the Haali Splitter and FFDSHOW codecs in order to get full 60fps playback, but Windows Media Player still says 25 fps in the statistics (howver 49-60 fps real fps). Am I doing something wrong? Also, in the playback tools of WMP, I can only move forward frame by frame, I can't seem to go backwards frame by frame. QT is the only software I found that I can advance and rewind frame by frame, but the quality is not as good, and I only get 25 fps as well.

dartmouth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:08 AM   #57

Use the codec that comes with the Action HD. It works like a charm. The video on the Action HD is impressive, even on DVD format, but if you have an HD DVD drive and can make an HD DVD you will be impressed with the quality of the video. Also, the Arcsoft software, Total Media Extreme, is 10 times better than anything I have ever used. It lets you customomize the DVD menu and everything on it, something Cybelink PowerDirector cannot do and it converts the .MOV file to DVD in a flash. Ulead DVD Workshop could not convert the .MOV file to DVD and crashed. No glitches with Total Media Extreme. I highly recommend it.

dartmouth01 wrote:
Quote:
Private Idaho, I tried installing the Haali Splitter and FFDSHOW codecs in order to get full 60fps playback, but Windows Media Player still says 25 fps in the statistics (howver 49-60 fps real fps). Am I doing something wrong? Also, in the playback tools of WMP, I can only move forward frame by frame, I can't seem to go backwards frame by frame. QT is the only software I found that I can advance and rewind frame by frame, but the quality is not as good, and I only get 25 fps as well.

scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 1:48 PM   #58

I have installed the software from the included cd, and I agree, the player is very good. The only problem is it does not allow me to do frame by frame analysis (using it to review my golf swing), or at least I haven't found that capability yet.

dartmouth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 5:38 PM   #59

Thanks for the great review! I just bought the A-HD+ and the new DXG-569V. The A-HD+ puts out a far better picture but I like the form factor of the DXG a lot more. It's smaller, sleeker, bigger screen, and wider lens. Too bad the pix quality isn't as good as the A-HD+. I am thinking of picking up the Action HD to compare, as well. Is the Action HD any smaller than the A-HD+? I REALLY want a camera with this quality that I can fit in my pocket. I can't quite fit the A-HD+ in my pocket so it is a bit useless for me... Not sure what to do... Thanks!
ZigFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:03 PM   #60

I own both the A-HD+ and Action HD. They are about the same size so you won't get a smaller size benefit going with the Action HD. I do keep my Action HD in my jacket pocket and in my pants pocket at times.

For HD video in a small size, you might try looking at the DXG-567V (which looks like it is pocket-sized). I do not have or ever seen any clips from that so you may want to get it locally in case you need to return it without eating shipping costs.
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote