Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 1, 2008, 6:43 PM   #61

I agree this player is quite good.

I was very surprised that it is essentially a Blu-ray Disc software player.

So imagine my surprise when I inserted my 8cm mini DVD discs with AVCHD recorded by my Sony HDR-UX1.

This software player essentially enables my standard DVD drive to play the AVCHD video directly from the mini disc... a bit choppy... but that's to be expected with such a huge data rate.

Private Idaho

dartmouth01 wrote:
Quote:
I have installed the software from the included cd, and I agree, the player is very good.* The only problem is it does not allow me to do frame by frame analysis (using it to review my golf swing), or at least I haven't found that capability yet.

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:45 PM   #62

But as was already mentioned, you should install the "HD-DV" codec that also resides on your CD.

According to Microsoft "GraphEdit," this codec is actually the "NewSoft" H.264 codec.

Private Idaho
Old May 1, 2008, 9:10 PM   #63

ZigFilm wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the great review! I just bought the A-HD+ and the new DXG-569V. The A-HD+ puts out a far better picture but I like the form factor of the DXG a lot more. It's smaller, sleeker, bigger screen, and wider lens. Too bad the pix quality isn't as good as the A-HD+. I am thinking of picking up the Action HD to compare, as well. Is the Action HD any smaller than the A-HD+? I REALLY want a camera with this quality that I can fit in my pocket. I can't quite fit the A-HD+ in my pocket so it is a bit useless for me... Not sure what to do... Thanks!
Can you put up some video clips from the DXG on megaupload? I'd really like to see how it compares. What average bitrate does it use compared to the A-HD+ which uses around 4.5Mbps if I recall.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:16 PM   #64

I'll try to post some video up. The quality is very much like SD - not good at all... But it is smaller and leeker and has a way better flip-out screen...
ZigFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 11:41 PM   #65

ZigFilm wrote:
Quote:
I'll try to post some video up. The quality is very much like SD - not good at all... But it is smaller and leeker and has a way better flip-out screen...
I just realised that you are comparing the A-HD+ and not the regular A-HD with the DXG which is a little unfair since the DXG is a 720p device and the A-HD+ is a 1080p device. Unless of course you are only comparing them in 720p/30fps mode.

I look forward to those samples though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 1:29 AM   #66

Exactly... It was more of a $169 comparrison. I was hoping that the 720/30p would be good enough for me but alas, it isn't... Here is the download, I assume I did it right. It's a pretty big file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WM7436D4

ZigFilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:12 AM   #67

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
Ambarella probably sells a development kit that a camera manufacturer can use to develop and camera and probably pay a license to sell product using a chip at a certain level.* I also note the similarity between the Aiptek cameras and other brands which makes with suspect that some possibly Asian company develops the cameras and then sells the product to OEMs rebranded.* It could even be Aiptek but I would have to do more research on their business.
Hi

I've tried to talk to them and got no where about a development kit a couple of years ago (even corresponding with one of the vice-presidents who was nice enough to give me heads up when new cameras where coming). There is a development platform available from Micron though (but they have renamed their sensor division, I forget the name, but it should still be on the micron site).

A lot of cameras seem to be re-badged digilife models, and I forget if Aiptek was another original OEM manufacturer. Actually, if we can find the root manufacturer of all models we might find who has what first, instead of waiting fro it to be re-released by other manufactures.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 9:27 AM   #68

subc wrote:
Quote:
Then there's the MOV format. Blows my mind. A lot of noise in low light situations. Couldn't lock the focus Therefore, the AF is always hunting/draining battery.
The camera is really blind at night. Even in a well lit room, everything will look washed out and dark. The lens needs a lot of light (as in, sun up in the sky) to get anything decent.
Still looking for the magical HD hybrid
Does macro lock focus?

I have been avoiding posting this, but this is the latest (large) pocket handheld you might like. I'm planning on getting one:
http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet

Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 2:25 PM   #69

It'll be interesting to see if they can really pull this off.

Private Idaho
Old May 2, 2008, 4:22 PM   #70

Great review! Thanks!!!!

Any Ebayer willing to sell a brand new Action HD to me? Obviously I'll give you also a good reward, besides the cost of the camera and of the shipping (to Italy).
Here in Europe we haven't got the Av-In on the new Aiptek, but I need it. Perhaps also some of my friends are interested, so more earning for you...
Please, if you'd like to help me, send me a pm or post here.
Thanks!!!!
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote