Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 3, 2008, 12:36 AM   #71

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if they can really pull this off.

Private Idaho
I was involved with the group that inspired them to make the Red Cinema camera, and my previouse calculations point to a base pocket cinema camera deign possible in hundreds of dollars (ironically designs very similar to the hybrids here, but much higher data rates). One of my previouse groups are pushing the low production run Elphel camera at more than $1000 dollars already. So scarlets less than $3K is very possible.

As long as the data rate is not too high, the basic camera cost difference between getting a camera to record low bit rate and high bit rate is very little (when using custom hardware), it is the media costs that are the biggest factor. Every camera over $200 could be made to do 24-50mb/s plus (Intra codecs or Mpeg2) practical limits don't apply until you get around 20Mbytes/s (intra codecs). Think about it, and I know of a place where you can probably get each manufactured for less than $500, if you had say a thousand people to buy them.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 8:34 AM   #72

OK, but this RED thing has been talked about for years in the various video forums and I've yet to see a truly affordable pocket cam with such incredible capability.

They need to stop talking and start doing.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 10:43 AM   #73

They were never going to be affordable up to now. The original Red was intended to be nearly $20K, and it came out slightly late and has been used to film feature films. This scarlet was mentioned last year and shown at NAB as they said, and due to be released early next year.

If Panasonic, or somebody, released a quality Lumix with 24mb/s AVCHD of ambarella quality per mbit, or H264 Intra at 100Mb/s at $1000, and four thirds or bigger sensor, I might consider going for that instead. Otherwise the Scarlet looks like it is it. Now for a cheap hybrid that doesn't let me down in the meantime.
Old May 3, 2008, 1:27 PM   #74

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know, not one of us has detected any audio/video sync issues.

I haven't.

Private Idaho
Yes that is encouraging. It seems Aiptek have finally got their act together with this model.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 1:30 PM   #75

Just bought mine yesterday.. am wondering what SD card to get? I'm thinking a 4 or 8 GB depending on the price, I'd rather not spend more than $40-50 on one. What specs should I be looking for? I don't want to get one that is too slow.. if that's possible, for this camera..

So far I've read all 4 pages of this thread and have not seen this question come up. Thanks.
petermg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 2:28 PM   #76

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
OK, but this RED thing has been talked about for years in the various video forums and I've yet to see a truly affordable pocket cam with such incredible capability.

They need to stop talking and start doing.

Private Idaho
Have you seen the new Sony ad where a Panavision Genesis (made by Sony) falls off a mountain during a shoot and shatters (dreadful thought)? The parts morph into their consumer camera products suggesting that the technology from that camera is making it into those products. Though I don't think that RGB sensor is in any of their camcorders yet though that would be nice.

Sidney Lumet raves about the Genesis in the extras for "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" which I watched on BluRay. In the shopping center scene where they jewerly store is located during the pan there is some bad jutter. I would suspect the cinematographer was too unfamiliar with the camera I didn't think jutter would happen at that pan rate. BTW, you can download the manual for the for the Genesis on Panavision's web site. Interesting read to see what the top of the line is like.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 9:13 PM   #77

hdguy wrote:
Quote:

Have you seen the new Sony ad where a Panavision Genesis (made by Sony)
Didn't know that, would explain why Sony has caught up in cmos sensor technology out of no where.

Quote:
I don't think that RGB sensor is in any of their camcorders yet though that would be nice.
Let's hope not, we were far less impressed with RGB than bayer.

Quote:
In the shopping center scene where they jewerly store is located during the pan there is some bad jutter.* I would suspect the cinematographer was too unfamiliar with the camera I didn't think jutter would happen at that pan rate.
What sort of jutter? There should be no jutter on a camera like that, except jutter from fast shutter on slow frame rate (as is normal on 180 degree shutter used in cinema shooting).
Old May 3, 2008, 9:32 PM   #78

The new Sanyo should be due out sometime, wonder what's that going to be like compared to this, as the $200 cameras seem to have caught up in latitude and picture tonality (but still need to go 4-8stops more latitude).

Interesting to compare the latest Sony based cameras. They are well in the range, handle latitude better and seem to have much better noise and superior tonality. They are being compared directly with Canon's hv20 etc. The SR12/11 with smaller sensor seems to get less noise in the watchimpress review than the Casio FX-1 with bigger cousin of this sensor.

The hybrids could easily get within striking distance with better sensor (latitude and noise) wider aperture (low light and noise) and twice the data rate.

What most of us really could do with is a pocket HV20/SR12/11 (and the TG1 does not count) with equivalent to 35-50mb/s Mpeg2 data rate (h264 24mb/s) rather than a pocket Red. For the rest of us though, it is Red scarlet all the way.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:13 PM   #79

SPARE BATTERY?
TRIPOD?
SD GB RECOMENDATIONS?
Killerwalrus2845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 10:53 PM   #80

I just posted a new sample (Macro 720p60) in the review. I was in sacramento this past weekend and noticed a snail on the sidewalk. Set my Action HD on macro, got really close, and hit record.
sfritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote