Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:47 AM   #1

OK guys, without revealing too much I can say that I have done some research and have found from a reliable inside source that there is a difference in the two models besides screen size for the price.

Hopefully in the near future I will have additional info. The chipset according to a person at Jazz is NOT the same in both the 178 and 188 but it has to do with a marketing choice of the vendor.

The chip in the 188 is a higher quality than the 178. This leads me to believe that is why those of us who got the 188 are so much happier than the others...

Jay
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Interesting....

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
OK guys, without revealing too much I can say that I have done some research and have found from a reliable inside source that there is a difference in the two models besides screen size for the price.

Hopefully in the near future I will have additional info. The chipset according to a person at Jazz is NOT the same in both the 178 and 188 but it has to do with a marketing choice of the vendor.

The chip in the 188 is a higher quality than the 178. This leads me to believe that is why those of us who got the 188 are so much happier than the others...

Jay
scorbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 11:32 AM   #3

Hey all!

While I don't have anything to follow up with specifically, I can say that this company (Jazz) is more concerned with putting out a quality product in this price point than just turning out whatever to make a buck.

Some discussion I have had has to do with the higher end components and chips than their competitors use. Some companies that were mentioned were Intel, Pioneer, and more known name brands than standard entry level players. There are also many new products in the works and it looks like they will be a little more upscale in quality as well. I will share with the group as I get new information.

I have brought up issues with the 178 that you all (Fishy) have mentioned such as the battery cover as well as the focal slider button issue and they have already passed on that info to engineering.

This company seems to be very customer oriented and feedback with them is a serious issue. I can also say they are now aware of our forum and I believe several of their people are now monitoring it!

So, the moral of the story is thanks to rgvcam for his initial post and bringing this company to our attention. I think this could be a very good future in terms of products with features and solutions at a price point that most of us are still willing to pay.

More later, Jay
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:13 PM   #4

I have to say that for a $99 product my HDV178 feels quite solid and could easily pass for a $200 device to most people.

The battery cover isn't too bad really. The one on the Aipteks is worse and I actually like the SD card *not* being under the cover, so you can remove it without have to keep removing the battery cover and thus wearing it out. That's what I liked about my original Aiptek, that the memory slot was outside the battery cover.

When you say the chip is superior in the 188 compared to the 178, do you mean the device in general or just the mpeg encoder? The files seem to have exactly the same bitrate and if there is a difference in video, it's very subtle unless we can shoot the same subject side by side and examine the resulting files.

I certainly wouldn't say at this stage that fishycomics and myself are unhappy with the 178. I could easily return this with Walmarts generous return policy but at the moment I can't see what $50 extra would give me (apart from the slightly larger LCD). I may as well go the whole hog and pay $199 for the Aiptek Action HD 1080p. The only reason I didn't is that I am unable to handle full HD. I have a hard enough time with 720p! And to be fair, a couple of you didn't intentionally get the 188, but got a lucky break on the price :G

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:25 AM   #5

1. most stores today lock devices up on hooks,

2. today most cash computers ring up the correct sales, so if it is wrong in the scanner, the nyou have a chance

3. most places have on near by scanners if some one places on wrong hooks, or even missing tags, that are printed out.

4. Most members do not read the spec for pc/mac of their speed whatthey can handle.lucky me 2.5 on the pc and 1.5 (near) on the laptop, so it is clearly said I need to use my Jazz.

I am only observing and pointing out never argueing.

I would decide on the size of the unit, the font, the MP3 lyrics, and fancier button, and color scheme, correct me and rugid body style 178 75% 188 not all or even any. Battery door b/c I am constantly pulling it out.

Thelens or ring: a adapter, cap and optional attachments

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:49 AM   #6

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:

Jay

Have you opened 178/188 cases and checked chips' package/die sizes?

I can't see any difference from bitstreams. Both modelsuse no B-frames (!!!), andan I frame comeseach 1/3 seconds.

From technical point of view, Idon't believe 178/188 are superior than AIPTEK models. Maybe Jazzcamchosebetter lenses or sensors for their products.

manuel c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 12:52 PM   #7

Hey All!

I have been told that both the 178 and 188 use the Zoran Coach 10 chipset.

I did some research and this company looks to be the first to implement HDMI support for these chips.

Also, they seem to be of the high end in this entry level consumer technology.

So the question is now, what chipset does the Aiptek use?

Jay
Old May 4, 2008, 9:09 PM   #8

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
Hey All!

I have been told that both the 178 and 188 use the Zoran Coach 10 chipset.

I did some research and this company looks to be the first to implement HDMI support for these chips.

Also, they seem to be of the high end in this entry level consumer technology.

So the question is now, what chipset does the Aiptek use?

Jay
So the two models are not different as far as the chipset then. I wonder if they use the same sensor as well?

The Aiptek uses the Ambarella chipset which I was reading is supposed to be the best, so where does the Zoran Coach 10 Chipset fit in the hierarchy?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 10:31 PM   #9

rgvcam:

from what I was reading on the company website, it is the only one at the time to have incorporated HDMI. This is as you know, a direct out to the HDTV display for playback.

I sent a request off on Friday for more info as well as info on the 205 model. Will have to wait and see.

Jay
Old May 4, 2008, 11:39 PM   #10

coosbaytv wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam:

from what I was reading on the company website, it is the only one at the time to have incorporated HDMI. This is as you know, a direct out to the HDTV display for playback.

I sent a request off on Friday for more info as well as info on the 205 model. Will have to wait and see.

Jay
One of the problems of 178 is that it ONLY supports HDMI, without HD analog video output option. Any HDTV in US, which is 2 years old or older, do not have HDMI input, like the Sony I have at home. I can not see 178 output on my HDTV, which is really annoying. Why can't they just have the analog HD video output like other cameras?
Tebay is offline   Reply With Quote