Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:05 PM   #1

I saw the new Jazz-HD in my local Wal-Mart today, at $99 as everyone else has seen. I also noticed several other new hybrids in the sub $100 range. I'd be interested to see the quality on those other ones.

Also interesting, I saw that you can get a 2-pack of 2-GB SD cards for $24.99 so I picked up a pack. That is 4GB of storage for $24.99! Granted, they are not the SDHC cards, but my Sanyo CG6 and Aiptek IS-DV2 work fine with the older kind. I also recently bought that Asus Eee-PC which has an SD card socket in the side, so I get to use them on that too.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:11 PM   #2

Wow that's roughly what you'd pay online if you remember that you have to include the shipping costs even if you don't pay tax. Usually even Walmart tend to be twice the price of what I can get them online.

I think 2GB is plenty for most hybrids as generally the battery won't last long enough to fill it continuously anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:29 PM   #3

adric:

contact me offline ,pm as I am curious about your Asus Eee-PC which is off topic.

Jay

emails are edited for your own protection thank you
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 3:42 PM   #4

5.00 per gig can be found but You should have bought the one that was for you Videos forDummies see that model:G

they're great buys, and sometimes you'll see 4 gigs on sale atthat price but 2 gig per does fine thanks for the heads up.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 5:29 PM   #5

I am guessing that the advent of solid state digital video cameras have helped drive the demand for high capacity cheap memory since they require much more of it than a still image camera.

Having said that I think for the average consumer we have already passed the optimum amount of memory needed for still images. After all most people don'treally need to be able to store a thousand or more images per card, even for a vacation! Even with full HD, we are also probably reaching saturation point for video as well as again an hour or two per memory card is sufficient for most people.

For those who do need more, it's better to have several memory cards anyway so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 7:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Having said that I think for the average consumer we have already passed the optimum amount of memory needed for still images.
I agree. However, I think the market still continues to drive larger and larger capacities just because the consumer really has no idea how much they need and bigger numbers sound better. We've seen the same market drive on all kinds of things:

• Megapixels[/*]
  • Sanner DPI[/*]
  • CDROM speed[/*]
  • computer memory[/*]
  • processor speed[/*]
  • video card memory[/*]
I could probably prepetuate that list further without thinking too hard. Just the other day I was in a computer store and heard a customer asking the salesman if the memory was upgradeable in a particular computer because it only came with 1GB of RAM, and the video card only had 256MB. I listened to the conversation and the customer was going to use it mainly for web browsing and playing solitaire. Not that this should surprise anyone, it is extreemly common. Anyway, I suspect the problem affects SD card memory sizes as well. Only in this case, at least the extra space can be used for something good.

On an interesting note, despite the fact that I have several 1GB and 2GB SD cards laying around, I keep a 256MB card in my Aiptek at all times. Mostly this is because I take the Aiptek just about everywhere and if it gets stolen from my car, I haven't lost much. And the truth is, I've never filled up that 256MB card. Granted, I tend to copy the video off within hours of taking it, though. So I would have to use the camera continuous for about 15 minutes to use the whole card.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote